• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Lyrical Nanoha TV Anime Get Their 1st Blu-rays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember if A's was done in widescreen or not. Does anyone remember?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
(Christopher Walken's voice): I gotta fevah, for more StrikerS!

If this leads to StrikerS getting released here, I'll be a happy man.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
I can't remember if A's was done in widescreen or not. Does anyone remember?

A's was still 4:3.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

If this leads to StrikerS getting released here, I'll be a happy man.

Even if it did, we would likely see a year delay after the Japanese release.

I would still jump for joy, however.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be a happy guy if this means that the StrikerS season of MGL Nanoha will eventually get picked up and, hopefully, subtitled. Of course, I'm not betting on that...
otakunomike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
StrikerS really wasn't a very good season though, everything that made season 1 so good, and A's so great, gets diluted down when the budget is spread over 24 episodes instead of 12. Also StrikerS is heavily reliant upon you reading at least 1 of the 10 or so Nanoha manga spin-offs, otherwise its likely to confuse people.

Now, if someone wants to bring over the manga series, those are actually pretty good
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
otakunomike wrote:
Also StrikerS is heavily reliant upon you reading at least 1 of the 10 or so Nanoha manga spin-offs, otherwise its likely to confuse people.

I never read any of the manga series, and didn't have any issues with understanding it.

I would even go so far to say that it really wouldn't be a problem for someone to jump into without seeing the 2 earlier series. While they give you more background on the characters, it also works as a standalone series.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Surely there are only three Lyrical Nanoha TV Anime?

Kimiko_0 wrote:
The first two seasons were released in English by Geneon, who have since gone out of business.

Geneon USA were still working on it when they shut down, so they were put out by FUNimation. When the original Geneon license expired, they chose not to renew.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
neonie wrote:
Don't you think they'll remaster them? I can't see them releasing BD's for this series without a remaster into 16:9 and updated animation, otherwise what would even be the point of doing this? It would just look like an awful upscale of animation that was drawn in 2004.

Also all three seasons of that series were good.
How many series have actually undergone non-destructive (as in redoing the animation and adding new footage, not stretching/cropping/squishing) 4:3 -> 16:9 changes as part of a Blu-Ray release? Dragon Ball Kai and... what else? I doubt any non-mainstream title would ever be worth the expense. On the other hand, numerous early/mid-00s 4:3 titles have gotten Blu-Rays without any aspect ratio changes, such as Angelic Layer, Scryed, Stellvia, Love Hina, Ikki Tousen (2003), Ouran HS Host Club, Eureka 7, My Wife is a High School Girl, Strawberry 100%, Yukikaze, 12 Kingdoms*, Kiddy Grade, ROD OVA/TV, and probably others I'm forgetting. And not all of those are known for stellar animation quality, nor were they at the time.

So the odds and history are against these Nanoha BDs having any desirable AR changes. And I did like StrikerS myself for the most part, despite its fair number of draggy sections. I was just noting that the general opinions of the season aren't favorable.

*Rumor has it 12K was actually animated in some HD resolution rather than SD. Or maybe it was a cel/film throwback and got rescanned for BD rather than upscaled.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
They just appeared for preorder on CDJapan's site. Currently listed as "no subtitles." I hope that changes.

Or that it gets relicensed here, but considering what an institution it is in Japan, it may be priced out of everyone's reach.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Whoo! This is so exciting. As a fan of the first 2 tv series and a casual fan of StrikerS, I'm definitely importing these if they have subs. To save money however, I wouldn't mind if they remastered them and released them state side *wink wink*.
Elto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Looks like it's time for someone in the US to re-evaluate re-releasing this series... hopefully. Smile
According to Justin (in a semi-recent ANNCast) though, 4:3 anime isn't really salable anymore. And the two seasons that most people actually like were made in 4:3. So even if the Blu-Rays don't get Q-Tec'd to death in the upscaling process, they've still got a large hurdle to overcome.

There are people that check aspect ratios on anime releases before buying, and they're the majority? What?
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine most people have internalized the idiotic notion that 4:3 = low quality, rather than realizing 16:9 exists only to minimize wasted screen space. But given that Nanoha has a far more niche audience than, say, DBZ, I doubt it'd actually be much of an issue(just slap on there "complete image" or something like that).
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first Nanoha episode back when it was on ANN but stopped before the episode was finished. I just wasn't in the mood for magical girl anime at the time.

So I missed out.

After Puella Magi Madoka Magica, people in threads kept referencing Nanoha and I became curious. But by then the series was long sold out and none of the legal streaming sites had it.

Thus, I think the series is long overdue for a rerelease.
neonie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

How many series have actually undergone non-destructive (as in redoing the animation and adding new footage, not stretching/cropping/squishing) 4:3 -> 16:9 changes as part of a Blu-Ray release? Dragon Ball Kai and... what else? .

What you guys are forgetting though that is that's taken Seven Arcs nearly seven years to do this, and Nanoha and Dog Days are quite literally their only products. (No seriously, they've hardly produced anything else aside from a handful of one-offs here and there.)

This is not an anime studio that is coming in and throwing out a Blu-Ray release for one of it's many many anime adaptions. This is Seven Arcs putting out a Blu-Ray release for it's primary and damn near single IP product.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
neonie wrote:

What you guys are forgetting though that is that's taken Seven Arcs nearly seven years to do this, and Nanoha and Dog Days are quite literally their only products. (No seriously, they've hardly produced anything else aside from a handful of one-offs here and there.)

Aside from what you mentioned, I see the following listed for Seven Arcs:

Inukami! (2006)
Sekirei (2008)
White Album (2009)
Asura Cryin' (2009)
Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~ (2010)
Mushibugyō (2013)

Jedi Master wrote:
I tried watching the first Nanoha episode back when it was on ANN but stopped before the episode was finished. I just wasn't in the mood for magical girl anime at the time.

When did ANN stream any of Nanoha? AFAIK, it has never been available for legal streaming, even when Funimation rescued Geneon license.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3