• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nerd Tour Japan 2014: Day Four

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
I definitely am in the kitty camp in the "which one is cuter?" debate. Bunnies look weird and crap everywhere, whilst kitties are cute yet handsome. If I had time to visit both I'd just skip the bunny place to stay at the kitty cafe for another hour.

However, I do like how the bunny cafe was also a rescue shelter, that's pretty neat.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
Waaaat? Bunnies are way cuter ;0 Okay maybe they do poop a bit, but that just means they love you.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm a cat person myself, but I have a friend who loves bunnies. There is a place in the world for all types. Wink

I've been to Japan 3 times, and still have not made it to the Ghibli museum. Your pictures show me how I really need to go back.

On another note I just found out one of the Doctors in the hospital I work for is going to Japan for the World Ophthalmology Congress. I gave her some tips. Too bad my job doesn't entail going with...(sigh)
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Bunnies (like dogs) can be a bit too hyper for my liking. So I'm definitely more partial to felines. They're not boring, they just like to chill Wink
Macron One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Nakano broadway...so cool! I've never yet been to Japan, but when i get a chance to, that 's the number 1 place on my must-see list.

That Macross cel of Minmei ended up going for 21400 yen ($209), in case you're curious. Certainly not unreasonable for an attractive shot of Minmei singing, though the really impressive close-up shots from that scene can sell for well over $1000. I have a pretty good cel of Minmei myself, though mine is unfortunately not an official piece. Still a really nice handpainted hanken cel of course, and by a well-known doujinshi circle.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mostly it looks like they got caught in a candy store explosion in the 90s.

I laughed at this too hard because I actually pictured it in my head. XD

That Gorbash cel though, sweet. =D
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Waaaat? Bunnies are way cuter ;0

Those sound like fighting words.

Have at you:

Hi-yah.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Waaaat? Bunnies are way cuter ;0 Okay maybe they do poop a bit, but that just means they love you.

Mine use a litterbox. Of course, they've been with me for years and don't feel the need to mark their teritory, but uhm... Cat poop can have nasty parasites in it! And did you know rabbits can't vomit? They not going to barf up half digested frogs in your shoes like cats do <_<

Bunnies are cuter and cleaner! Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Dogs are better.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Nakano Broadway was always my favorite place to visit in Tokyo. Of course, I'm a hard-core cel collector, but I also love to visit Mandarake for the telephone cards, trading card sp cards (fill in the one or two missing cards, yes please), and older weekly/monthly manga anthologies and magazines. But yeah, most of my money always went to cels. Nothing more fun, imho, than flipping through boxes of cels and finding something magical, especially cheap and magical.

And sorry, cats all the way. The five I own would never forgive me otherwise. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Seeing all of those photos of the Ghibli Museum made me feel nostalgic, yet poignant.

Man, I want to visit Nakano Broadway.

Cats rule, dogs drool, bunnies are cool. Cats are the best and the cutest. I want to be an old cat lady when I grow up.

Those bunny pictures were adorable though. And I love how they were shelter animals you could adopt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ly000001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I had to click on this article when I saw a picture of a familiar Minmay cel (I won the auction for it Smile )
Also, Nakano Broadway is awesome. I prefer it more than Akihabara, but then I'm an old-school fan who's not into the latest and greatest anyway.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I spent the majority of an afternoon last August in Nakano Broadway, scouting out anything related to Space Battleship Yamato, Macross, and anything else of interest I could find. Alas, while there were some great things to find in the Mandarake stores, they didn't have a lot of the A-List items I was after. It wouldn't be until the next day in Mandarake's monster 8-floor Akihabara store that I'd find the items I was looking for. Still, a great place to scout out things in Nakano Broadway.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yup, what cel collector who visits Japan hasn't been to Nakano Broadway? I know I've gone to both of the cel stores they run there (one for bargain stuff, the other featuring higher end stuff) and it's always one of my favorite places to go. I've heard there are people who wait outside the shop until it opens so they can be the first to dash inside and run through the cheapy bins. I think of it is a great way to find gifts for cel collector friends.

You missed, or didn't mention in the article, the smattering of other stores near Mandarake that sell artwork too. I usually find more of what I'm looking for there than Mandarake.

The pet cafes never interested me, probably because I like dogs and have one at home that likes to play. But, it's good that they try to find homes for animals, and hopefully a few have been adopted.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Cats >>>>> all

Cats are truly the most godlike of pets. I love how they're not super-excited and energetic all the time, they just snuggle right next to you when you're chilling and don't bug you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2