• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro Film on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
The picture and sound quality look the same to me, and I've never noticed any washed out colors or compressed images on dvd....not sure why people are paying the extra money lol

The "lol" at the end of that tells me that you are being silly. It's either that or you don't own an HDTV (which is still a possibility in '14 for some weird reason). The differences in the quality of analogue animation on BD vs DVD are ridiculously obvious. We pay the "extra money" for a better experience.

I've been eyeing the Cagliostro JP BD for a bit now. I'll wait for a review but I have high hopes seeing that they got the Q-tec upconversion for Blue 6.

...and yes it is commonly mistaken among fans for a Ghibli film. Completely understandable.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Fantastic news. I was actually contemplating importing the Blu-Ray a few days ago, just my luck that Discotek localizes it. Very Happy

Now if only someone would get Isao Takahashi's Only Yesterday already; granted, I just imported it, so I guess I would still like to hold off a license for a bit longer.

Awesome post just before mine. We think alike.

Also, that Only Yesterday BD is f*ckin' lovely. Without a doubt my favorite Ghibli film. Takahata deserves more recognition.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Discotek always ANNOUNCES the great Holy Grails of vintage anime, and then we lose track waiting to see if they ever delivered on them. Sad
(Just checking, we still don't have that uncut dual-language Samurai Pizza Cats yet, do we?)

And still think the best trailer ever done for Cagliostro was the one that played up its...similarities to James Bond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9TXrv1_uPk

Uncut, dual language isn't possible. The English language version was edited. Both the Japanese uncut and the English dubbed sets have been released for some time. A set with both would be a pretty large, expensive one as the Japanese and English episodes would be on separate discs.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
I saw this on TV when it aired in Japan last year, and having only seen the VHS and Manga DVD versions in the past, I was stunned at how bright and clear the colors looked. Never realized how muddy-looking that old DVD was until then, but I compared the two, and it was like night and day. Hoping that whatever they put out is able to make it pop like that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
vanfanel: Well, TMS didn't remaster it until recently, so...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
Yes!

Great news... I had a feeling Cagliostro would be the FIRST Lupin III film to be make it to US Blu ray. Excellent choice! I think The Fuma Conspiracy would be a good follow-up Lupin Blu ray, too.

Also much appreciated on the Dr. Slump news. I've gotten familiar with the original TV show on YouTube the last few months. What a missed opportunity that was for American fans but I can see that it would have also bee a hard sell like many classic Japanese series have been, too.

I kind of wonder when or if we'll ever see Lupin II: Legend of the Gold of Babylon ever show up on disc in the US (besides the long out-of-print AnimEigo laserdisc release). I've also caught that one online and can see problems. Lupin III has eccentric character designs that can get downright ugly in some revisions -- I'll doubt we'll see a release of the Third TV series which is downright ugly any time soon -- and Babylon unfortunately comes in the middle of the most "grotesque-looking" Lupin period. The character designs prior to the Third TV series period and afterwards are much more pleasant to watch.

It's still a decent anime feature but looks more European than Japanese. Seriously, it looks more a Guido Manuli or Bruno Bozetto feature than an anime flick!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
I've already bought this movie three times — Streamline's VHS and both Manga versions — and this Blu-Ray might well make it four.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
Still can't see the advantage of bluray over dvd, to me it's still the same movie sooo....glad to see it's getting a dvd rerelease

In the case of analog animation, it's usually better color balance (subjective), sharper line art presentation (objective), and more visible film grain (objective). As long as the DVD is using the same master, it'll look good as well, just won't look as good on HD screens.

Glad this is finally coming out here on BD.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Rainrix wrote:
Still can't see the advantage of bluray over dvd, to me it's still the same movie sooo....glad to see it's getting a dvd rerelease

In the case of analog animation, it's usually better color balance (subjective), sharper line art presentation (objective), and more visible film grain (objective).

And better audio quality, and subtitles in a font which doesn't induce Windows-3.11-for-workgroups flashbacks nostalgia.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was going to be Cagliostro, when they annouced an unreleased Lupin title they haven't licensed before. Now I can replace my Manga 2000 DVD with this release. While I'm keeping the 2006 DVD only cause its the only way for me to watch the French & Spanish dub of Cagliostro.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Fantastic news. I was actually contemplating importing the Blu-Ray a few days ago, just my luck that Discotek localizes it. Very Happy

Now if only someone would get Isao Takahashi's Only Yesterday already; granted, I just imported it, so I guess I would still like to hold off a license for a bit longer.

You're going to have to import "Only Yesterday" unless Disney lost the home video license to that film.
It's only been shown in festivals and one time on TCM in the US. There are no plans to do a North American home video release for it -- again -- unless Disney loses that license somebody else picks it up.
The good news is that the Japanese/Ghibli Blu rays are readily playable on US BD players and have decent subs. You can forget about other region BD's unless you have a multi-region player. Only the US and Japanese Blu ray machines/PS3's share the same Region coding (for BD only; DVD regions are still different for US and Japan).

There are a number of Ghibli features Disney didn't get licenses to because A) another company had the license already (Grave of the Fireflies -- first CPM, later Sentai even though I think the subject is so far from what Disney would release that it's doubtful they would have licensed it to begin with!) and B) subject material/plot is not the "family friendly" cultivates with its animation releases. That's a point in why they didn't option "From Up on Poppy Hill" and mostly likely "Princess Kaguya."
I've seen "From Up on Poppy Hill" and that was a film just begging for somebody who didn't watch the film all the way through to be an idiot and blow things out of proportion... I can see why Disney passed on that hot potato and let someone else option it for home video. The Disney name is still on the opening credits as a production partner for "Poppy Hill," though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

There are a number of Ghibli features Disney didn't get licenses to because A) another company had the license already (Grave of the Fireflies -- first CPM, later Sentai even though I think the subject is so far from what Disney would release that it's doubtful they would have licensed it to begin with!)

Ghibli doesn't own Grave of the Fireflies:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/

• "Grave of the Fireflies" is not included in the [Disney-Tokuma] deal because Tokuma Publishing does not hold the rights to it. It was produced by a company called Shinchosha.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC: The fact that GKids and Cinedigm got Poppy Hill and Kaguya Hime suggests that there are Ghibli films Disney is willing to let go of. So I guess if Kaguya Hime makes money and/or racks up U.S. awards, then maybe Only Yesterday gets picked up. And I'm guessing the reason Poppy Hill didn't get picked up by The Mouse is 'cus it's boring. Rolling Eyes Also, there's nothing in that film which is any more edgy than what I'd get from a Nicholas Sparks adaptation. Razz
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
GeorgeC: The fact that GKids and Cinedigm got Poppy Hill and Kaguya Hime suggests that there are Ghibli films Disney is willing to let go of. So I guess if Kaguya Hime makes money and/or racks up U.S. awards, then maybe Only Yesterday gets picked up. And I'm guessing the reason Poppy Hill didn't get picked up by The Mouse is 'cus it's boring. Rolling Eyes Also, there's nothing in that film which is any more edgy than what I'd get from a Nicholas Sparks adaptation. Razz
At least it was more enjoyable than the Earthsea Tales movie.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is familiar with Dr. Slump, do you know which TV series of it to watch? I've only seen and read tidbits of it here and there and was wondering if anyone had some input on it because it seems few have seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Angel: The 80s series is where you start, but since the tv show isn't licensed yet, you can get the manga through Viz on Kindle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3