• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Science-Fiction Anime Franchise Gets New TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This time I promise myself to stay away from all forums to not experience the fan want from ship wars.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm happy were getting a new Macross series. However, I don't want keep seeing it a remake. Seriously, do you guys REALLY want trust people into remaking something that may get stuffed with fan service in the bad sense???

I would like see the timeline go on, a different colony, new threat, new mecha, a good space opera, good show. Can't live in the past forever!!

Last edited by Wrangler on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirbyeggs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Macross Frontier did more for the series than 7 ever did. And it had a lot less stock footage too boot. The songs were good, the action was well done even if CGI and the movies were even better. Macross will never be Gundam, and shouldn't be. It should go in its own direction and frontier is easily a great addition to the franchise, which doesn't really have that many entries.

You can only last so long after seeing a VF-11 Thunderbolt launch the same exact way for the 200th time.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Were finally getting that man. Wowhoo Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I wonder who'll be doing the music.

All hail the great Yoko Kanno!

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure she's working on Watanabe's new thing. Not Space Dandy, the other new thing.

Well, I guess if he can multitask...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Well, I'm happy were getting a new Macross series. However, I don't want keep seeing it a remake. Seriously, do you guys REALLY want trust people into remaking something that may get stuffed with fan service in the bad sense???

I would like see the timeline go on, a different colony, new threat, new mecha, a good space opera, good show. Can't live in the past forever!!

Fan service in the bad sense gets stuffed in any new production. Wether it's a remake of an old series or a new chapter. As to a remake of Macross why not ? The original is so low budget and with such stupid characterizations that it is nearly unwatchable today (dvd or blu-rays). A remake like that of Yamato 2199 I wouldn't say no to.
But I have a feeling Macross is just too campy and too cheap to go that route.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Thoughts on Macross sequels thus far:

* Macross Plus: 3 terrific episodes and a lousy finish. If I ever spoiler[steal a fighter jet to go shoot down my own side's new drone, I sure hope an AI conveniently rampages and takes over the city, so I can stop it and come out smelling like a rose.] Utterly unlikable protagonist. Great animation and soundtrack, though.

* Macross 7: I love the music, and if you don't love Fire Bomber this show's gonna be a long, long slog. As a Macross sequel I dislike it because this level of goofy was just not present in the original series; it doesn't feel like the same world at all. The aliens are pretty bad too; some of them look like Sailor Moon monsters-of-the-week. That said, as it's own thing, I find M7 kinda groovy. I love its sense of dry humor (like having Veffidas say nothing for episodes on end, and then spoiler[nobody acting surprised when she finally puts in a brief comment], and especially the way that the love triangle spoiler[only seems to exist in the imaginations of people surrounding the principles]. Animation is not so great, but the character designs are nice.

Macross Zero: Watched this one raw, and my comprehension was not so great. It's a really, really pretty show (especially the diving scene in ep 3). Still, the characters didn't grab me, and I wasn't sure what to make of the ending. Maybe one to rewatch sometime, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth it.

Macross Frontier: I'll admit that the soundtrack and animation are great. I'll admit that the SF story with the Vajra is even pretty good. What kills this for me, though, is the wimpy, boring protagonist, the otaku baiting fanservice (attention! we interrupt your SF drama to call your attention to some girl's chest again...), the awful direction (Can she really hear what they're talking about from that far away?) (Let's go to the other side of this giant city in space! We'll be sure to run into the last person we want to see at the worst possible moment!) (I'll sing on the street corner! In the bomb shelter! Anywhere! A spotlight will always find me and I'll cast Summon Backup Musicians!)

Kawamori responded to criticism of Alto's wimpiness when the movies came out, and promised us a more decisive Alto in the theatrical versions. And then spoiler[blew him up immediately after choosing a girl.] Now that's what I call unintentional comedy gold!

Macross II: Another good soundtrack. The character designs are a little too detailed for the budget they were working with, but overall it looks nice. Most importantly, it feels like the original universe; something no other sequel or prequel has achieved. Negatives are that they didn't do much new with it, and of course that it falls apart in the last episode. Still, I've found this disowned OVA looking better with every passing sequel.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
And then spoiler[blew him up immediately after choosing a girl.] Now that's what I call unintentional comedy gold!

spoiler[Alto was standing on the Vajra queen when she folded. And if I remember correctly, we even see it finish just before the missiles/bombs/whatever hit.] It never even once occurred to me that spoiler[he died], and I was pretty baffled at reading that was a common interpretation. One of the few times I seriously wondered if I even saw the same movie as everyone else.
loplop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
As long as they done mention anything about Macross II or Macross 7, I'm good. Nice to see something I would actually want to watch be announced for a change.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
I liked Frontier, I just didn't like Sheryl as a character and I thought Alto was stupid for choosing her. I loved Ranka though and am currently saving up for some of her merch Mr. Green
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
^
Ranka was indeed the better girl. Good on you for being able to recognise her greatness.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked Sheryl more, mostly because she was more mature* (physically, emotionally, and mentally). Also, I found her backstory more tragic then Ranka's. I mean, she was manufactured for transhuman fetishists, no wonder she's so f-ed up emotionally.

*But then I'm also Misa fan.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
animehermit wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Think, more Battlestar Galactica (2004) and less Nisokoi: False Love.

Now that I think about it, BSG was a little bit like SDFM.

BSG and Macross are two of my favorite space operas, because they're both about societies struggling to survive in deep space. Also military dramas.

They are also very different from each other, which is why I enjoy both

Yeah, the main thing I'd like is a little more balance between the different elements this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5