• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Spring 2014-The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
For the story, Sidonia would be the thing I'm most interested in this season. Unfortunately, it looks terrible. I'm sorry, to me it looks just as bad as RWBY. I can barely tolerate it when spaceships and mechs are CG, but when the characters are CG, I'm out. End of story.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Finally, the first show with a setting and premise that grab my interest [Sidonia]. I like the character designs quite a bit. If only it wasn't CG... Still, I'm going to give this the benefit of the doubt.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
For the story, Sidonia would be the thing I'm most interested in this season. Unfortunately, it looks terrible. I'm sorry, to me it looks just as bad as RWBY. I can barely tolerate it when spaceships and mechs are CG, but when the characters are CG, I'm out. End of story.
My sentiments exactly.

I still can't believe that RWBY was on Crunchyroll. Given the site's icy relationship with dubs I was hoping that it wouldn't give that CG'd abomination any exposure. Little did I know that I was hoping against hope.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, the studio behind Knights of Sidonia mostly does animation for pachinko, so this is a bit different from their usual work. I'll be interested in seeing how things go. I wasn't really bothered by Arpeggio of Blue Steel's CGI-characters, so it can be done.
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
What's RWBY?

As for Knights of Sidonia... I really hope they don't expect me to remember all these people. There's like, a dozen characters with the exact same skin color and face shape, most of them are wearing the same outfits and some even have the same hair color and hair style. I don't know how I'm supposed to tell them apart while watching the show, seeing as I can barely tell them apart while looking at a character description page with everyone's name right next to their picture.

I wonder if this is going to be one of those shows were I need to keep asking "who is this again?" whenever some one walks onto the screen.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
For the story, Sidonia would be the thing I'm most interested in this season. Unfortunately, it looks terrible. I'm sorry, to me it looks just as bad as RWBY.

Oh come on it's not RWBY levels of bad CG Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
RWBY is a web series done in flash or something, it's american I think but it's clearly meant to be an anime, the CG is pretty bad but the story and character are pretty interesting, it's mostly comedy/slice of life with a little bit of action (which isn't quite good).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
RWBY may have had terrible CG but it had that Godlike Monty-Oum fight choreography (hopefully, I dropped it by like the second episode).

If only he had had more budget and time.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Sidonia, but like others, the CG is putting me off. Don't get me wrong--I actually like CG. Unfortunately, the budget restrictions of the average anime usually means the animation is rather sub-par. And it tends to show. While some American titles use CG and look pretty bad, other teams have learned to work with their budgets and turn out some decent looking series. Granted, I haven't seen Arpeggio, which people seem to like. I wonder what Cat Shit One would have looked like if it actually became a real series.

I'll give KoS a try regardless. Maybe if I watch RWBY clips before, it'll feel like watching movie-grade CG.

On a whole, I'm excited to try Haikyuu!, M3, Ping Pong, and Mekaku City for this spring season. There are a few others I'll be trying: Captain Earth, Kenichi, WIXOSS, Break Blade, Gochuumon, Black Bullet, and Akuma no Riddle. If they get official streams, anyway. But personally, the series I'm most looking forward to are in summer.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
El-ahrairah wrote:
What's RWBY?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWBY

El-ahrairah wrote:

As for Knights of Sidonia... I really hope they don't expect me to remember all these people. There's like, a dozen characters with the exact same skin color and face shape, most of them are wearing the same outfits and some even have the same hair color and hair style. I don't know how I'm supposed to tell them apart while watching the show, seeing as I can barely tell them apart while looking at a character description page with everyone's name right next to their picture.

Ah yes, this! I have similar concern as well. Pray they won't refer to each others by their code names!
maCSlate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
El-ahrairah wrote:

Ah yes, this! I have similar concern as well. Pray they won't refer to each others by their code names!

That's a problem you have in every manga by Nihei, also the stories tend to be quite convoluted. But they also suck you in, once you start reading them, so I'm glad one of them finally gets a real adaption.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Chaika The Coffin Princess looks like it could be interesting. I'm not even going to bother with Knights of Sidonia since I read the manga and hated it. As a few previous posters said, most of the characters look practically identical and I got tired of the random fanservice.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
A part of me wants Muse's Knights of Cydonia to find its way into this show. The more sensible part of me wants to tell me that I'm retarded and that I really need to stop saying stupid things.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
A part of me wants Muse's Knights of Cydonia to find its way into this show.
you and me both man, you and me both.

Sidonia looks interesting, and i dont really mind the cgi(though it could be better) but with No Game, Chaika, Akuma riddle, WIXOSS, Date a Live, Brynhilder, and maybe M3, I doubt I'll have time to watch it.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I take it one can enjoy Soul Eater NOT! without watching the original Soul Eater first? Because I haven't.

Last edited by L'Imperatore on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14