• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Complex + Part 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Does time travel spoiler[de-age Hina], or did I misunderstand that? And why only that time?

Personally, I would have found it an awesome twist if spoiler[Zogilia was not the aggressor in the war], as we never really saw anything about the origins of the war, or any indication of good vs.evil. But spoiler["man, my crush fell for some guy, so it's time to form an empire to get my revenge"] is stupid even by Sunrise standards.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
All together now: HINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

That pretty much sums up the entire series.

Yttrbio wrote:

Personally, I would have found it an awesome twist if spoiler[Zogilia was not the aggressor in the war], as we never really saw anything about the origins of the war, or any indication of good vs.evil.

I agree. I'm not exactly a fan of simplistic good vs. evil plots, but some kind of background info on that war would have been nice...well, perhaps we'll get that in season 2? Along with more "Coupling", of course! Laughing
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I agree. I'm not exactly a fan of simplistic good vs. evil plots, but some kind of background info on that war would have been nice...well, perhaps we'll get that in season 2? Along with more "Coupling", of course! Laughing

With HINAAAAAAAAAAA now in picture I'm hoping for... what would it be? Threefolding? She deserves it after going through all that crap.

Also congratulations Buddy Complex, as DuskyPredator already pointed out you fell into babby's first time paradox/plothole.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
They could not avoid even little bit of childishness of scenario by making Hina not only spoiler[blanked eyes, but also repeating Slava Zogilia at totally random moments of time.]

This project has "Decent" rating, which means that it actually "So-So"; mediocre in worst sense.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Does time travel spoiler[de-age Hina], or did I misunderstand that? And why only that time?

Personally, I would have found it an awesome twist if spoiler[Zogilia was not the aggressor in the war], as we never really saw anything about the origins of the war, or any indication of good vs.evil. But spoiler["man, my crush fell for some guy, so it's time to form an empire to get my revenge"] is stupid even by Sunrise standards.

don't even think about it. This time travel thing and the loop doesn't make sense at all. We still need to know how the the loop started at the beginning.

Yeah, There is no good or evil here. Atleast we don't have enough information to say one side the good guy and the other side is the bad guy.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I thought it was so-so but it got really mediocre the last couple of episodes. From the Hinaaaaa! To Aoba's clueless personality, to Zogilia forces somehow finding our heroes every episode even after they escape them (because they fly in straight lines and slowly so they are easy to predict their routes and shoot at), to the infiltration of the base (because there's obviously no security), to the changing from the stolen uniforms back into fatigues (Off screen and why? Do you have time to change? Did the uniforms chafe or something?), to Dr. Evil's side hobby in mind control (gotta be one of the oldest plays in the book, man).

I could go on and on, but the point is that for me the show just wore on me. I can't see myself watching the second half of this when it comes out. I'm stuck between giving this a Not really good, but not total waste and So-so.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Extra Oh, Crap, We Didn't Make Any Money Epsiode 1

This must be what it's like when your script is just the Wikipedia plot summary. I do appreciate that they found Hina appropriate, cleavage-showing attire. Very critical.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Buddy Complex is still more entertaining that a certain mech series that has been controversial in the forums to say the least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Buddy Complex is still more entertaining that a certain mech series that has been controversial in the forums to say the least.

Argevollen? Because yes it is.

Season 2, Episode 1

Could they maybe have done better to reintroduce the characters again? Not sure if it was meant to be obvious, but I thought it was that the spoiler[enemy retreating was obvious that they were going to fire the satellite.] Feels like it has been a while, but enjoyed the episode. Being so frustrated at that other show makes this one feel a bit better. The villain sure looks intimidating.

Wait! Strike that, there only seems to be two episodes planned. Why is this? Is it a financial reason.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it a financial reason.

This is something you should already know, they were forced to scrap a second season and got only 2 OVA episodes to work with.

Yes, the Blu Ray/DVD sales were THAT bad (but somehow not bad enough to cancel an OVA release, weird).
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'm really really hoping that Bizon gets his ass kicked in the finale. I mean, what he did during the latest episode was unforgivable.

RIP spoiler[Alaska base and those guys].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

That one huh? "Still more entertaining"... So instead of watching stolen plots and ideas gel around an ubermesch, there's a story? With characters?

Impossible; Only when great creative minds collide can we have a science fiction "mech" series for the ages. Music, action mean so much more than ... the stuff that matters... you know... people and things, ideas, that's it...to set it apart from all those other shows ... with music and action...

Argevollen? I'll check that one out.

I was going to watch Buddy Complex if it had a second season as I couldn't see this story resolving much of anything in a single one.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm really really hoping that Bizon gets his ass kicked in the finale. I mean, what he did during the latest episode was unforgivable.

spoiler[And thank goodness he did.] That guy was just way too desperate to satisfy himself and his twisted goals. So yeah, spoiler[I'm glad he's gone for good this time with no one to mourn for his loss.]

This was pretty rushed and had weak characterization but the action was decent. With this series ending, I will be looking forward to the other mecha shows this upcoming Fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I am of the mind that the entire last episode would have been character wrap up with the final scene taken from the movie The Final Countdown and either an Elderly Hina and Aoba meet Dio or alternatively there Grandchild delivers a letter to Dio. (alternatively the reveal is that Dio is a descendant of the two and it was a necessity that Hina/Aoba eventually stabilize the time loop)
I am of little doubt huge portions were cut out, but at the same time the wrap up "was within the established themes"]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
A bit quick, sure, but overall it answered what needed answering and resolved what needed to be resolved.

As a hardcore mecha fan I was quite happy with Buddy Complex. I welcomed the lighter tone and had plenty of fun with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8