• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunaga the Fool (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I really hate to admit this but somehow, someway this show has managed to grow on me. I really don't know how to explain it either.
There are still couple things that have annoyed me (like Da Vinci's stupid card gimmick and a couple stupid fights) but i really think the show has picked up steam lately.

Nobunaga is no longer an annoying hothead and is actually responsible, Jeanne has finally become useful in battle, Mitsuhide (who is still my favorite character) is still suffering over the actions he's made and Hideyoshi who i thought was going to be left out to dry actually got some development and a backstory.

Don't get me wrong the show is still plenty dumb but something about it has gotten me to overlook the stuff I usually get upset over. I kind of just stopped taking it seriously and i'm having a blast with it.

Oh Lord, what is wrong with me?........... Embarassed
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
The dialogues are unbearable, make no sense: in episode #13 spoiler[Mitsuhide says to princess that he is sorry that he could not protect her. Then he swears to protect her, even though she is leaving to live with Caesar.]

The quality of writing is so mediocre that characters just rumble whatever first came to mind of scenarists with little coherence.

Plot turns are so lame that some heroes are made to do uncharacteristic moves without any pretext or character development whatsoever, just out of the blue for the sake of story. spoiler[Caesar all of sudden truly loving princess and betraying his loyalty to Emperor Palpatine/Arthur.]

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yes everything is very much stupid. So much in fact that the praise i JUST gave the show vanished in pretty much a handful of episodes.

Personally it's one of those shows that is just so unbelievably stupid and cheesy that I still find it amusing for some reason. I've already invested to much time in this trainwreck can't jump off now Embarassed
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Big story on Arthur's side makes no sense: spoiler[if he really wants to save his planet, then he would believe and follow Jeanne D'Arc's prophecy that the Savior is stupid spiky guy from the other planet as she has envisioned it. And if his goal is to just use D'Arc girl to gain power, then it makes no sense as he and his gang is already top power on his planet.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Did it occur to you that maybe wants the fame for himself? I mean pretty much everyone in the round table is are all kinds of evil so i think he just wanted Jeane to increase the amount of his supporters among the common people. He still has yet to conquer the East star right? So I think they might use her there as well. Don't really know the specifics of it but it'll probably be explained later (i hope).

Needless to say i think this episode really highlights how much Nobunaga has matured over the course of the series. He has come a long way from being the selfish punk he was in the first episode. His words are very wise and inspiring. Him and Mitsu are definitely the most developed characters in the show and oddly enough Mitsu has probably been the main cause of Nobu's change since he is technically responsible for the deaths of his father and brother. Delicious irony.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm finally interested in this series now. Too bad it took more than a dozen episodes to get off the ground.

But Jeanne is just about the most useless female character I've seen since Sakura, existing solely to be cleavage in distress. (Aoi from Coppelion was so worse than useless she's on a list all her own). I knew it was not going to go well the moment she said, "I'm coming with you."
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
This show got pretty dark lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But Jeanne is just about the most useless female character I've seen since Sakura, existing solely to be cleavage in distress. (Aoi from Coppelion was so worse than useless she's on a list all her own). I knew it was not going to go well the moment she said, "I'm coming with you."

Well, she's quite proactive and tends to think on her own. The problem is that the writers constantly make her a whipping boy (quite literally in the latest episode). Most of her efforts are checked or fail and I'm not sure that it will add up to something meaningful in the end.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this show getting discussed again! I's certainly my favorite current show by a wide margin.

The Jeanne stuff doesn't bother me, and I think she's a very interesting character whom I have quite a bit of respect for. Here's my take on Jeanne's character:

I agree that the show likes to make Jeanne a whipping boy, and it was only in this latest episode that I figured out why. In the last episode, all three characters' experiences with the dragon was them being tormented by their own fantasies, and ultimately calling upon their own mental images of their comrades to rescue them (well, Uesugi Kenshin may or may not have emerged victorious). Jeanne's torment was the fact that despite her conscious integrity, she did subconsciously internalize society's desire to reject her, and really questions whether or not she is deserving of punishment for the harm she may or may not be indirectly causing. There is also a theme of futility or failed effort with Jeanne, and I think it ties in with the question of whether or not and to what extent she can affect the outcome of what she sees in her visions, and whether there is even any difference between her knowing the future and causing it.

One way the failed effort manifests is in how she tries to take on the appearance of a man like her namesake, but she just has these huge D cups that she really can't hide. Everyone else kind of goes with it anyway though, and I think the point there is that merely having big breasts isn't objectification in itself, and you have to be able to look past that. It's a little oddly done, but I think it's interesing.

I also am a big fan of the fact that DaVinci is painting the Last Supper, but with other historical figures taking the spots of the apostles. It's really interesting to see Oda Nobunaga imagined as Jesus (but only potentially so!), and other real and fictional figures transplanted into that narrative, even some like Jeanne who emerged as a direct result of that mythos later down the line!
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect the painting to be the last supper either, and I think the central theme of it, that the setting is entering a new age and the painting is a way to capture the relations and attitudes of the important people in shaping the new era. Very curious to see how it turns out
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else get the impression from the latest episode that perhaps King Arthur's face appears differently to each person who sees it? spoiler[Caesar saw a lovely young lady, but when Alexander described Arthur, he seemed to have seen a masculine warrior.] Could this be how he manipulates people?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Did anyone else get the impression from the latest episode that perhaps King Arthur's face appears differently to each person who sees it? spoiler[Caesar saw a lovely young lady, but when Alexander described Arthur, he seemed to have seen a masculine warrior.] Could this be how he manipulates people?

I didn't consider it at first, but after seein Caesar spoiler[going full balloonies] and then Cesare spoiler[describing Arthur in a completely different way] made me think it's a possibility too.

Also holy mother with this show. It was pretty mediocre during the first half (except for Mitsuhide), but it just keeps getting better as it goes darker. I'm amazed at how complex the characters have grown to be, and how much each of them has grown
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
As for the Arthur thing, I suspect spoiler[he may appear as a reflection of what the viewer would want to see in him.]

This show had me from the start, but I too am very pleasantly surprised by he level of complexity this show has attained, in character and theme. This episode had a lot of their desire vectors come clashing to a head, and it was all also reliant on the path they took to get to where they were, their character arc histories as it were.

It's not It's not East vs West: it's all a big mixture of different interests, alignments existing where similarity lies, more like real life.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The show really just pulls crap out of it's azz constantly doesn't it? Cyborg technology that lets you destroy giant War Armors alone that also allow you to "feel" what people are thinking? Jesus talks about convenient writing. I was enjoying the show when it wasn't really taking itself seriously but now it's trying improperly shove the the underlying plot into the story when they should have been slowly doing this throughout the series earlier and is just a big mess.

And I'm really getting sick and tired of the crappy treatment the women are receiving in this anime. Jeanne somehow has not done anything worth mentioning besides being fickle about Nobu this entire series. And of course she's basically just an obligatory fanservice item as well.

Himiko is just a faithfully devoted lover from his past and nothing more. She's been useful in the series but the fact remains that her characterization has been extremely shallow and aside from firepower is only there to push Jeanne to admitting she loves him. Speaking of the love Jeanne "supposedly" has for him why has the romance between them almost been completely dismissed? It's like after she confessed about it the issue was completely dropped. Another fault in this shows list of horrible direction choices.

Ichihime for a while was my favorite character but this episode just COMPLETELY RUINED her for me.

The problem here is that spoiler[Ichihime clearly loved Mitsuhide first and yet this entire episode she was pretty much fixated on Caesar. She at no point really thinks about how he feels about her and just fawns all over someone else.] It seems like an extremely abrupt change in her character. I honestly don't see how she fell for him at all either. I think they had a one nice conversation but other than that it always felt likespoiler[ Caesar treated her as an object of his lust until this episode. He killed her father, many of her people, forced her into marriage and much more. You could say that she simply "forgave him" but that was never brought up in the episode. All she was doing was spouting "Oh where hath my real Caesar gone?". Stupid...........]

The whole time i was just shaking my head at how ridiculous it was and it really ruined her character for me at the last minute. This change in her literally came out of no where and seems like it was only a means spoiler[to kill her off with Caesar.]

At this point Mitsuhide is the only person I find myself caring about since his character has suffered the most and gone through reasonable changes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I think the point there is that merely having big breasts isn't objectification in itself, and you have to be able to look past that.

Kinda hard when she can barely look past them. ::rimshot::

My main complaint with this episode was that Ichihime spoiler[couldn't even gasp out one last word for Mitsuhide?] Man, talk about a slap in the face.

I am liking these last few episodes more than the first half of the series, but it still doesn't really move me, so I don't have the energy to think of anything intelligent to say about it. Carry on, I'll show myself out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6