• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Science Fiction anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Just a comment: Wellness suggests Read or Die (OAV). I respectfully disagree; I do like it -- it is, however, not science fiction. I cannot think of any scifi elements in it.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I really liked how strong at core Robotics;Notes was, despite its flaws concerning around likely skipped VN details and Deus Ex Machina. Does anyone here have a recommendation on an anime about robotics that isn't about mechas?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
Does anyone here have a recommendation on an anime about robotics that isn't about mechas?

Armitage III is about robots that might be getting close to being human, too close as far as most humans are concerned.

Battle Angel is a short OVA with another very human-like robot.

And there is always Ghost in the Shell, both movie and TV series. The major is a cyborg but, if I recall correctly, there is quite a bit about robotics.

Kurogane Communication is not really about robotics but most of the main characters are robots, and one human girl who was raised by the robots.

If you want a harem comedy about robots you could try Hand Maid May, or Steel Angel Kurumi which can get rather serious at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Armitage III is about robots that might be getting close to being human, too close as far as most humans are concerned.

Battle Angel is a short OVA with another very human-like robot.

And there is always Ghost in the Shell, both movie and TV series. The major is a cyborg but, if I recall correctly, there is quite a bit about robotics.

Kurogane Communication is not really about robotics but most of the main characters are robots, and one human girl who was raised by the robots.

If you want a harem comedy about robots you could try Hand Maid May, or Steel Angel Kurumi which can get rather serious at times.

I'll look into these, thanks! Open to more suggestions by anyone else btw.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Just a comment: Wellness suggests Read or Die (OAV). I respectfully disagree; I do like it -- it is, however, not science fiction. I cannot think of any scifi elements in it.

You might want to tell that to whomever set up the encyclopedia entry in ANN which clearly lists it as a sci-fi title. The overall story (TV and OAV) included a supercomputer built for world domination and genetically engineered humans. Although they did not really emphasize "hard science" in their plot the title is clearly science fiction by any reasonable definition.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
How did Time of Eve not get mentioned right away with the suggestion "robotics, not mecha"? It's about a cafe where you can't tell if the patrons are mecha or humans and the main kid enjoying the cafe and changing his mind about how he views robots. Outside of the cafe, all the robots have this sign above their head to point out that they are robots, but inside the cafe, you just can't tell.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
How did Time of Eve not get mentioned right away with the suggestion "robotics, not mecha"?

I did not mention it because I had never heard of it.Smile
But reading your description made me think of Chobits.

Chobits never really gets into the hardware aspects of robotics, but the fact that the persecoms are robots that can be made in the image of humans is the basis of the story.
The show, at least the parts that are serious, is about the differences and similarities between humans and persecoms.
On one level Chobits is a romantic comedy with robots, but it also explores some topics that have been common in science fiction for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Holy mother of god. So many pages and no mention of the classic of classics, the definition of science fiction animation:

Nausicaa (anime#180) Incorrectly categorized as fantasy (why?, it's technically post apocalyptic science fiction, sure it doesn't have a very large quantity of generic futuristic stuff, instead it opts for a more creative style combining medieval/early modern European technology in a post-apocalyptic setting with some flying machines that we assume must use some very advanced technology (i.e. "magic") to fly). I have watched it about 15 times already, it's one of the movies that resist to the greatest degree to multiple watches.

Patlabor 2
(anime#410)
From the same director of Ghost in the Shell. Another classic that is not as well known in the west although it's extremely popular among the Japanese animation buffs.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Anyone got anything on a series about along the lines of genetic-engineering and clones? Especially when it's focused on the clones themselves as the MCs. There was Coppelion, though that didn't live up to my expectations sadly. The manga is alright btw.

And speaking of which, is there another anime that deals with nuclear radiation?

Oh and thanks for mentioning Chobits and Time of Eve.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that the definitive anime on genetic engineering is Geneshaft (mentioned on page 2 of this thread). Cloning is a minor, but definitively present theme. Really every aspect of a society steeped in genetic engineering is fleshed out, with the possibility and usage of cloning being a piece of the puzzle. The MCs are not clones in the traditional sense, and cloning is only rarely used to reinforce the character drama (and tbh this may be the weakest part of the series scientifically speaking because our knowledge of epigenetics has advanced significantly since 2001). Nonetheless, it continues to be relevant and intriguing today in that and other areas.

Edit:classicalzawa's post below actually reminds me of something I'm watching now. Kurokami is filled with a world of people who are born in sets of three identical clones, and if any two of them happen to run into each other, at least one of them dies. I forgot to mention this because it's less hard Sci-fi than a lot of other shows, and the whole clone system really serves more to forward its themes on social mobility (which are fleshed out nicely). It's still got good worldbuilding, character drama, and animation.

Also, I'm going to be combing through what looks like 7 years worth of awesome recommendations in this thread later. I'm really struggling to think of something not already mentioned, and most of I have seen out of this I liked. If that's not something I can extrapolate from, I don't know what is.

Last edited by Ghost_Wheel on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
@Student no.0
It's not anime, but Orphan Black sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's a Canadian TV show that airs on BBCA in the US and season 2 is about to start! In like, a day or so! I'm quite excited!!
The series starts with a woman, Sarah, seeing another woman kill herself at the train station. The catch is, the woman looks just like her. So she looks into this mystery woman (Beth) and slowly finds out there's a whole clone club going on with clones from all over the world. A few clones only appear in pictures, but we see 8 in person. And the technology is there to make this work, it really looks like different people in the same room! And of course, the main actress, Tatiana Maslany, is simply incredible, each character feels unique and different, and sometimes the clones need to impersonate each other, and it really feels like one person impersonating another rather than just being the one who's being impersonated. Anyway, I can't really say too much more as I don't want to spoil anything, but main character genetic-engineering and clones? It's there alright!
Desslok

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Shame on all of you for forgetting the 70s Leiji Matsumoto classic, Space Battleship Yamato. It is a must-see as far as science fiction anime are concerned. It is a dramatic, tense, and exciting program with interesting science fiction elements, some of which seem to be pioneering for later programs of its type, other elements not really working out so well, but just as entertaining. There's a great epic feel to its story and a sort of relieved bittersweet joy in its conclusion.

Some of the movies that follow are also excellent.

Addendum: Shame on you people for not mentioning Space Battleship Yamato 2199! It takes what came before - drama, great characters, a hell of a story, and polishes it, keeping the heart of the series, but giving it modern story-telling sensibilities, better developed characters (especially the bad guys) and a more thought out universe (Comet Empire forshadowing!).

As a long term fan (as in I raced home after school every day to catch Star Blazers on the local UHF station), I give this remake my biggest thumbs up I can.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So it is now 2016. My question: Did any good SciFi come out in 2015? (Please, no unannotated lists; Thank you.)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Did any good SciFi come out in 2015?

A couple come to mind:

1. Gate. I know it pretty much leans more to "fantasy" than sci-fi but it seems to also qualify. The "gate" is really the major sci-fi element.

2. Heavy Object. Aren't all mecha anime qualified as sic-fi? Their concept of advanced weapons of domination is a bit shaky but still a lot of fun to watch. And there was quite a debate in the anime thread going there about genetics for some reason.

3. God Eater. Very good artwork but I didn't like it much. Damn it was grim. It qualifies as the harder of sci-fi on the scale. Muv-Luv did better a year or two earlier as far as a story goes.

4. Valkyrie Drive Mermaid. Har har har. Only partly pulling your leg here. The show got better after it started and I'll leave it at that. Just for the record I don't consider unreal boob-physics any form of sci-fi.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Subite ga F is a work of science-fiction though not one I can recommend. Though I watched it to its conclusion, I thought the plot was too confused and had some serious holes particularly spoiler[Shiki's ability to deliver her own child at fifteen and raise it inside that locked room for fourteen years with no one knowing.] I also thought the concepts from computer science were largely window-dressing including the use of hexadecimal "F."

I've generally been disappointed with noitaminA shows over the past few seasons, and Subite ga F did nothing to change that view.

I'll also mention that Funimation has obtained the rights to Noein and has released a Blu-ray version this month. I streamed a few episodes at 1080p so I could see whether the differences were visible. The new version is a distinct improvement over Media Blasters' DVD release. If you're curious, you can watch it here: http://www.funimation.com/shows/noein/home

Now if they'd only pick up Dennou Coil....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6