• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Z/X Ignition (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Aye. I only generally remembered "Oh, yeah. Mikado's group landed for assault." It was just too long ago. They did need to cover a lot to get to this point and while a lot of storytelling time was wasted I can't see how they could've kept a good rhythm and fit in the stuff they needed to.

Normally I wouldn't care so much for my bottom-of-the-barrel show (the only one I threatened to drop that I haven't in a season where I dropped the most shows), especially since "trim the fat" is my solution to almost every writing problem, but I really can't think of a way to solve it.

Maybe if they just started at the beginning, but that would've made for a much crappier first episode.

EDIT Man, I just skip-watched the first ep. How the hell did that thing make ANY sense to me at the time? I was a complete mishmash of whatza. At least the entire half of the ep wasn't all footage to be reused later.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Sera's backstory was unexpectedly touching, I even like Tyranno now. But Mikado is still not likable.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
The freaking hell? Serara's mother thought it would be cool to leave her daughter ALONE for 2 weeks? That's pretty irresponsible. Maybe this anime will teach parents to properly look after their kids or the will get blown up by giant gundams Anime smile.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I like Mikado well enough. He's leaps and bounds better than the actual MC. But of course I'd prefer it to be The Chitose Show.

Good ep. Lots of cuteness and sadness and a few animation furbs like Sera's teleporting hand after she falls. You hear a heck of a lot of ways to say Okaa-san in this one. Relieved, amused, scolding, ooh~la~la... but you suck, mom. I'm going to assume the babysitter was just off-camera that whole time.

I'm expecting that they'll be blitzing character stories for a few eps.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

And this episode was good too, explaining Ayase's backstory and her motivations. The initial spoiler[deaths in the village were an accident] of the angels, but they were spoiler[given the orders to kill all the humans to cover it up]. You can say all sorts of things about revenge being wrong, but it is not that simple. She was responsible for a huge amount of slaughtered angels, but on the plus side she now spoiler[knows exactly who her target is], and it just happens to be the one that was spoiler[hiding the fact about Fierte].

Was it only me, or did it look like the end with the new Z/X, Type II, spoiler[looked just like Azum]i? Could the spoiler[medicine they have been giving her just been to create a new Z/X]?

Sieger is pretty strong, but also pretty ruthless. I wonder if he has changed after getting close to a human. He was described as a Predator, and his desire for tough fights/prey does seem to fit. Should I make a joke about my internet handle?
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
To commemorate this great episode: http://i.imgur.com/L9Oe9IS.jpg

That was pretty freakin awesome. I was actually kind of teary-eyed while spoiler[Seiger was slaughtering all those angels] and Ayase's reactions to it gradually dulled. While I did laugh at how that guy just spoiler[bullrushed those soccer kids], I wasn't laughing so much when they actually came back down... several seconds later. That was brutal and fantastic.

So now Ayase knows the name of her enemy, the white world's spoiler[insane general good-looking-girl-design-riding-a-dumbass-looking-cannon]. I too am all for her revenge. I'm usually pro-revenge in stories though, when redemption isn't a factor.

And what does our MC contribute to the episode? Making his mostly female entourage wait outside in the January cold while he looks at boobie magazines. I know it was for context on Gar's master but it managed to lower his likeability even more.

Gar himself is fairly cool and I like how the whole thing played out.

This was likely my favourite episode so far. This show became a real hidden gem. I'm very glad I didn't drop it now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

It is like they have saved any interesting character exploration until this second half of the series, because learning about Rigel was actually pretty good, ignoring cliché parts. But am I the only one who noticed some mistakes like Rigel being shown spoiler[with the medal on her despite losing it a couple scenes earlier]?

Also, they spoiler[killed a guy], but it is apparently okay because spoiler[he was faceless], and the characters freak out over spoiler[Type II apparently dying]. Also has Audium actually done anything evil?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Sheez what's been up with all the random fanservice shots lately? Did really really need to stare at Audium's ginormous azz for so long?

After catching up with the series i kind of don't like that we have TWO characters now who are driven by revenge. Is that really necessary? One i already bad enough but two is just forcing the issue. This character type is so easy to integrate into any story that i tend to hate it whenever one shows up. All it comes down to is "Blarg so and so killed my family so i'll stop at nothing to get revenge blah blah blah." It's just an easy excuse to have a character act irrationally when they need to for the story to move along. It would be nice if they actually did something more with their characterization but if it boils down to the usual "MC making them realize not all monsters/angels are bad" I'll be disappoint.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I... I can has mecha musume episode!? Glee~~~~~ I'm so happy! And it was actually a pretty cool. We learn more about the blue world we've likely already guessed, get some development for that world's higher-ups, a bit more Mikado and some important Rindou content. And some really good action scenes and great semi-subtle fanservice (well, semi-subtle for anime. Pretty blatant otherwise). I'm glad that they understand how important the ass is to a mecha musume *nods sagely* but Rigel's spoiler[top-down/bottom-up pose made me burst out laughing.] Rindou even showed off an awesome move.

In that first shot of Type 2, I thought the black parts on her sides weren't part of her and she just had the tiniest waist ever. One of my characters (a living weapon) for a pet project used to be described has having an absurdly thin waist like that until an artist actually drew her and I'm like "nope. normal waist. super tiny looks too weird".

Also, there's something funny about "Original" being followed by a "XIII" and "Type 2".

I like how, seeing that spoiler[Rindou had her covered, Rigel went off]. I'm not sure she would have done that so easily otherwise. I did laugh when they spoiler[killed that dude though. Maybe they've played enough games/watched enough movies to know that falling is never a source of death, or that it's okay to kill faceless people. Not like the show is adverse to killing people.]

Even our MC, who made a putz of himself this episode too, didn't grate on me because he's to the point of parody now. He kind of lost his own show. No doubt he'll get it back at the end, unfortunately, but this has given us a long string of fantastic episodes.

DuskyPredator wrote:
noticed some mistakes like Rigel being shown spoiler[with the medal on her despite losing it a couple scenes earlier]?
I don't think that's a mistake unless I'm missing what you mean. She had 2 of them, one holding her cape on, clipped to her right, and one pinned to her left chest. spoiler[She only lost the one holding her cape when he cape was pulled off.]
leatherhead333 wrote:
After catching up with the series i kind of don't like that we have TWO characters now who are driven by revenge.
At least it looks at them in parallel. It's more of 2 ways to look at the same issue rather than just copying it. Of course we'll have to see what the end brings, but so far it hasn't been present as the same character motivation.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I swear that the director of this series just told their music people "hey that Fairy Tail show has some good music, do stuff like that". Seriously, some of the soundtracks sound almost identical in places.

Aside from that, I just finished the show, and I'm pretty mixed on it. Some of the characters were interesting, but others (Looking at you Tennoji) were pretty much the worst. Probably the bit I liked the most was the world building. It may not be the most original concept, but the scale of everything really resonated with me. It was just begging for a massively awesome conflict.

And that's what really annoyed me. I understand there's no way to do what I want in twelve episodes. But still, there are all these different worlds, at least let us see them a bit. Give us some idea what's going on in the larger sense of things. The last episode teased this, but of course, who knows if there's going to be any more. And I'm not foolish enough to believe that if there is more that it will be radically different from the type of story we already saw.

In the end, it was sadly mostly forgettable. The world had potential, and that perhaps is the most disappointing aspect of the whole thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

Big problem is that it did not feel enough like resolution, in fact it felt more like an act to give us an idea of what factions are out there. Uriel seems to be an Angel working for peace between humans and Z/X, while spoiler[Gabriel seems to have other plans]. A faction of the Blue world are also working to unite everyone even if it goes against their leader's plans. But really confusing as apparently Ayase spoiler[recognised Michael], and were they hinting that Uriel spoiler[might be Asuka's brother]?

This show was not that great, pacing especially in the beginning was especially weak, and characters only became likable after we had backstories late in the season, and Asuka is not among them. Nothing really to note about music, animation, art, or story, just pretty standard and not that entertaining. Probable best as I noted before were some backstories, and some of the Z/X do seem quite interesting with their designs that seem connected to its card game.

I give it a rating of Not Really Good, which is risen from some good character aspects to not be a total waste of time. Overall I would be interested for the aspects brought up at the end have something in a sequel, but I honestly don't know if it has done enough this season to warrant one.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
To me the show is a good example of growth. Looking at the start it's a barely coherent, poorly animated and poorly directed mess but after it went on I felt like the staff was finally getting their act together. And since Symphogear ended up working out well for me when it followed this progression I'd probably be pretty hopeful if a second season was announced.

But until that s2 comes (if it ever does) I can't really recommend this to anyone. It's ok-ish with some very good points in (of course) the backstories, and it sidelines the terrible male lead for most of that, which makes it more bearable. Hell, if you did some Phantom Edit-style work on it you could totally make it look like Ayase was the main character. But when all is said and done, without a great second seasons I think Z/X is doomed be one of those series nobody even remembers happened in a few years.

EDIT: Oh, I do have to give it props for being one of the better animes based on a game that I've seen. ... yeah. I know.
CYNRHEL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see the second season of Z/X Ignition to where the story goes as the last episode say they will need the 6th to see what their fate/destiny goes or it will be Asuka Tennoji will guide and show them the way. As to what I see Uriel (one of the fourth angels) is like Asuka Tennoji (even tho it didn't show Uriel face) but somewhat you can see it looks like Asuka. So..... to me, I'm intrigue on what is Uriel connection to Asuka Tennoji and what Gabriel (one of the fourth angels) will do as his plan to ruin the earth that has now put to stop.

So, do you think it isn't good to continue the series?

spoiler[Altho the first quater of the series are kinda messy and some others find it boring but since the anime is showing how it will start the Zex card it is good too. Also this is my second anime based on game card (my first is Yu-Gi-Oh!) that I like but I do really hoping to see the 2nd season. There's anime character they show on the last episodes like Asuka oniichan (I don't know what is the connection on that and why it shows on the last eps) and Uriel (it never show the face but slightly it show the side cheek with the same color of Asuka's hair). What is the connection of Uriel and Asuka there? Thinking it might connected to on how Asuka right now and that is why Uriel is like him but why is an Angel? ]

Kinda baffled on the last episode and the ending kinda... (O__O) ...... yeah, I was like that, LOL. Then my head catching up and I said; "Oh, that was it." I feel like something is missing on that ending >.> Or I am thinking too much and hoping it was good like Yu-Gi-Oh anime?

I might be a baka but liking the story and it intrigue me is not bad Wink
Meraxes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, Did approved the Second Season? i love this anime
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
If a second season is announced, it will be on the news page.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2