• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wake Up, Girls! (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Probably somebody watched episode 2 and extrapolated that the entire series would be like that.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I fell behind watching this one due to Olympics and other stuff and finally sat down and marathoned the last 6 episodes or so.

I definitely got more from this show than I expected. I'd seen a number of idol-centric shows in the past couple of years and always thought it was an interesting idea but WUG is the first that I actually watched. And it really was pretty much everything I could have wanted it to be, except perhaps for having great character development though it did an admirable job with the characters, given the short run time and the large cast.

Definitely hoping there will be a second season of this because I want to see what happens next!
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
The sequel/season 2 airs today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

It still looks like Wake Up Girls being Wake Up Girls, an interest in idols doing things other than just singing, personalities being on the milder side than something like Love Live that it can be a little hard to differentiate them, but also some charm to it.

The reviewers in the preview guide were putting it as a negative with the CG dance scene, but I actually kind of liked it. Felt sort of expressive.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
wlep we are out of money so out of money still well written and performed but this is not anime any more
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know where ep 7 went on Crunchy?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Anyone know where ep 7 went on Crunchy?
Doesn't seem to be up there yet, if it will be there at all. To be fair, it's a live action special/recap(?), so I'm not sure why it's included in the official episode count to begin with.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12

Oh my god, is anyone still watching this? Because the show has kind of just fallen apart. It seemed to be having some production problems for a while now, but it has finally reached a point that it is straight up ridiculous. The whole episode I could not help but notice that almost everything that was happening in the episode seemed to be made out of tricks to try and pretend as little things on screen as possible could be some form of movement. A few frame of looping pictures to try and convince us characters were not frozen solid, just mouths moving in a sweeping shot, characters entirely off the screen while they are talking or something in the way of them. And every character seemed to be totally off model, often put into really weird poses and the like.

Not sure if it is an actual fact, but just the story can't get me interested at all, I doubt even better animation could fix it. I have been kind of toning out while following the story for the last few episodes, and it was deciding to really focus this time that made it all the more painful as I was thinking something is wrong with this show in general. It was making me think of some horror story of series that something like Shirobako, Girlish Number, and A Sisters all You Need, about there probably being people with some level of passion in it, but the whole show is a mess.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Better off watching WUG preforming their live concerts over on YouTube....the animation is almost lifelike.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
The animation is fail yea but the plot is mostly great just which they didn't have to rush though it at the end thou
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

For some reason there are people who think that Waku Up, Girls is better than Love Live, I really do not see it.

This last episode was a lot of concerts, and the correct path seems to be taking a look at how these were done. First with "Run Girls, Run", I was thinking about how the CGI seemed especially choppy, while the main girls' CGI actually much better, but largely blocked off by a lot still shots of the girls as they all said some line. At least something on Crunchyroll, they were not subtitling the songs, and I guess with a combination of not much interest in the songs or in the animation, I was zoning out a bit. Although, credit, I actually started zoning back in when they did the first season OP song, with a look I could have familiarity with, and it had my attention again. This is actually something I think works well, a repetition of songs familiar and the like can actually get me interested, and is something I particularly think Love Live Sunshine lacked.

But again, I don't think Wake Up Girls has managed to actually make me care about these characters, there is not like big defining traits of the girls. And one that does, her cat thing just seems like she does it instead of actually having anything meaningful, the show itself I think saying that the Nya stick does not really add things like when she was supposed to be taste testing something, like saying I am looking cute by doing the same thing without any creativity. Comparing it to Sunshine, you had I think Ruby who would do things like insert her name into other words, seems a bit forceful, but there was more to her personality with her shyness and it kind of funny that someone shy would do that.

I don't think that I have made it secret that I have not been too interested in the story, and I think that the animation had especially started to fall apart, I feel like something happened on the production side there, but I don't want to give it too hard of a time. I am sure people put a lot of hard work into this. But my rating will be Not really good (4/10), but not a total waste of time either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6