• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Central 2007

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
[snip! Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be posted yet. ^^;; -b]

And ADV's report gives me some hope that they are about to start doing some very wise and innovative things. That bit about on-demand production intrigues me most of all and I am so grateful that they've started up some of their manga again. I hope that they will continue to work to build a decent manga line and hopefully will refrain from censorship as they really can't afford to shoot themselves in the foot again. More extras on DVDs with the English VAs is a good thing in my opinion and I hope to see more of that.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyways back to AC, nice to hear that ADV is trying to get it's Manga operations up and running I wonder which titles will be continue if any. They were still releasing Chrono Crusade and that was about it right? I wonder if CPM is ever going to announce what there doing with Hi No Tori, I wonder if the license fell through since they announced.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
We're sorry, this post has been temporarily disconnected. Please try back again later or leave a reply post at the sound of the emoticon.

Laughing

Hello? Yes, I'm posting to mention that I find it interesting that Dark Horse is apparently jumping onto the novel bandwagon. (Or have they done them before I just never noticed?) Hopefully, they will not make the mistakes others have made, like VIz, and cut out images and such.

Also, I think I might actually be buying something from them for once. Surprised That Translucent sounds interesting.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Or have they done them before I just never noticed?) Hopefully, they will not make the mistakes others have made, like VIz, and cut out images and such.

They've been publishing the Vampire Hunter D and Ghost in the Shell novels for a couple of years (before Tokyopop ever started their fiction line), as well as other western books (Hellboy adaptations, etc.) I don't believe they've cut any pictures out.

Not much else of interest or that they haven't already announced.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Um...wasn't FUNimation up there earlier this afternoon? Or am I having some sort of memory lapse? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Anyways back to AC, nice to hear that ADV is trying to get it's Manga operations up and running I wonder which titles will be continue if any. They were still releasing Chrono Crusade and that was about it right?

They finished Chrono Crusade a while back. Since then they licensed and released Line (a one shot) and all of Anne Freaks (4 volumes). Otherwise, they've mainly been releasing Evangelion: Angelic Days and a couple other things that appeared in NewType USA. I think they've been releasing Cromartie High School, but I'm not sure on that.

What I want to know is if ADV will ever bother to update its website. They haven't updated the manga section of their website since September of '04. That was a year before they stopped publishing most of their manga.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
During their period of few releases, they eventually finished (excluding Newtype USA titles and those and new series during 2006, like Anne Freaks):

- Orphen (though it wasn't too affected, according to the release dates listed on its ANN page)
- Chrono Crusade (after the 7-month hiatus between Vols. 6 and 7)
- Full Metal Panic! (and FMP: Overload!)
- Maburaho (this one took 23 months to finish, and it was only 2 volumes! They finally released Vol. 2 just last March)

(If I've forgotten any titles, feel free to speak up.)

And yes, they are releasing Cromartie High School. Schedule-wise, it wasn't really affected at all, and I'd say that it was the only title that ADV was able to consistantly release during their slump.

Maburaho was something I didn't expect them to finish, even if it was only 1 volume. This gives me hope that perhaps even one or two of their more obscure titles will eventually be finished.

Apparantly, they've also licensed A Little Snow Fairy Sugar during 2006. Has anybody ever seen this on the shelves?

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sun May 13, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha: Hellboy originated as a comic. The movies and cartoons are adaptations.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Just a few additional notes on the FUNimation panel (I was also present):

*The Afro Samurai figurines are expected to come in two sizes - 6" and, I believe, 14" - and will be out in October and November, respectively.

*Concerning the market share note: just to give you an idea of how dominating that 31.2% market share is for FUNimation, the next-highest company (I'd presume ADV, but the rest of the companies were not named) is only 13.6%.

*The art box for School Rumble, available with vol. 1, is designed to look like a school locker.

*The art box for Beck, also available with vol. 1, is designed to look like a concert speaker.

Other notes of interest on the Genon panel:

*I don't know if this has been explicitly made clear before or not, but Geneon does have both seasons of Black Lagoon, with the second season expected to begin release in November.

*The metal case for Black Lagoon, which is included in the vol. 1 Special Edition, is designed to hold all three first season volumes plus the bonus disc that comes with the SE and take up only slightly more thickness on the shelf than a normal DVD volume.

*The art box for Rozen Maiden, which is available with the first volume, is covered with red felt.

EDIT
One additional note: according to a FUNi rep at their dealer's room booth, the Witchblade anime will start its release in November. They had no explanation for why there's such a long delay between licensing and release, however.

Last edited by Key on Sun May 13, 2007 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
Key:
Quote:
Concerning the market share note: just to give you an idea of how dominating that 31.2% market share is for FUNimation, the next-highest company (I'd presume ADV, but the rest of the companies were not named) is only 13.6%.

At this point, it's gotta be Viz. I just hope FUNimation knows what it's doing...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Apparantly, they've also licensed A Little Snow Fairy Sugar during 2006. Has anybody ever seen this on the shelves?
I've seen it and I've got all of it, since there's only three volumes. It's been completed in release for a little while now, at least in the US.

GATSU wrote:
At this point, it's gotta be Viz. I just hope FUNimation knows what it's doing...
Well, it seems hard to believe that all of their success is based on coincidence and fortunate accidents, so I'm inclined to believe that they know what they're doing. They're catalog is diverse, they've earned a good reputation with artboxes and dubs, they have people on ANN and other boards that talk to the fans, and they have shown they are capable of learning from other companies mistakes and generally avoid the making the same ones.

At this point, it's not really a question of whether or not Funimation know's what it's doing so much as do the other companies know what they are doing.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Question what kind of bear is best?

Actually this for someone who's at the con did Media Blaster or Animeigo happen to show up for this con? I know that they don't always go to every con but they seem to hit the major ones. For Media Blaster I'd like to know if were still getting Hi No Tori (Aka Tezuka's Phoenix) and for Animeigo if Yawara first box will be released sometime during this year.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
*The metal case for Black Lagoon, which is included in the vol. 1 Special Edition, is designed to hold all three first season volumes plus the bonus disc that comes with the SE and take up only slightly more thickness on the shelf than a normal DVD volume.

Wow, a company finally having the foresight to make the original release in thinpack format. Never would've figured Geneon to be the first to ditch the double-dipping-sku model ... or I just completely misread this item (hopefully the former,) because releasing a case with empty prongs to stick the other volumes in after removing them from their boxes is just stupid.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Just a few additional notes on the FUNimation panel (I was also present):

EDIT
One additional note: according to a FUNi rep at their dealer's room booth, the Witchblade anime will start its release in November. They had no explanation for why there's such a long delay between licensing and release, however.

Sorry, that person gave you the wrong info. I'm the brand manager for Witchblade. It's a Fall release, not Winter. We'll post the release date soon. You'll probably get sick and tired of all the Witchblade promotion we're gearing up for.

Also, look at Hollywood studios. http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41436
They announce their shows months and months before production and release. Same thing applies here.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
or I just completely misread this item (hopefully the former,) because releasing a case with empty prongs to stick the other volumes in after removing them from their boxes is just stupid.

Oh, you definitely misread it, then. Laughing
Not only does the LE steelcase have holders for 4 DVD's (Vol. 1, 2 3 and the bonus disc), the LE release also has an empty Vol. 1 Amaray DVD case (with the DVD coverart) shrinkwrapped to it, for the collectors.
And we can expect another one when the second season starts up. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2