• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Alice Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
I agree with your review of Gakuen Alice. I thought the series was cute, funny, and sweet, yet very intriguing, thought-provoking, and kept me hooked on what would happen next. Sadly I didn't start collecting it until a few months before Tokyopop went under and only have the first three volumes, but perhaps it's a little better than having all 16 volumes sitting lonely on my shelf.

I hope that perhaps TRSI would rescue it in a way like they did with Hetalia, but I don't know if it would be a feasible move for them as of yet.
Mai5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Gakuen Alice is as appreciated as it is. I loved the anime, but it was one of the manga series that I couldn't make myself buy knowing that it was no where near over and probably would never be released entirely in English.

I wound up realizing how much I loved the series and bought all the English volumes and two Japanese volumes. I had been studying Japanese for a year at the time, but I couldn't understand a single word. Laughing Thanks for reminding me to read the rest of it! (spends the next 4 hours reading
purplebird76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
the completed version of Gakuen Alice(in English) can be found on MOD NOTE: these are pirate manga sites. C'mon guys, don't give money to pirates.. The ending was really good and one particular part put me in tears. There were lots of twists and turn throughout the manga that can and will blow your mind. I can't stop thinking about how young they all are; they fight, kill, and date while they are only in elementary school. But in the end, the story cuts to the future when they are all 16-20 years old. It really shows how the events in their lives molded them as people. Gakuen Alice is one of my favorite mangas and I also hope that it will be picked back up.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you favor Elliot as the man to win Alice's affections but weren't crazy about My Fantatic Rabbit? Then this is the book for you.

SOLD! Very Happy (Although, my first choice is Julius)
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
after going through vol 9 of Are You Alice? recently, I'm pretty sure I still have no solid understanding of what's going on. Certain characters make a little more sense, but the story is just as special as ever.

And i <3 the cheshire cat
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that into Alice things, but I buy Are You Alice? for the artwork and some characters. I keep expecting it to start making sense with the next volume but...nope. Reading it with the serialization must be even worse; at least with volumes, you get nice chunks of information.

I plant to keep buying in hopes that everything will be made clear one day.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Gakuen Alice is amazing I've followed the comic to the end. I highly recommend it Smile I was sad that it wasn't all translated. I've been buying the Japanese ones though. I was disappointed the anime didn't go very far. I'dlove to see it properly done one day (though that ship has sailed Sad)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Definitely plan to read Bleach. While this arc has been "meh" so far, I enjoyed the previous volume.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Definitely plan to read Bleach. While this arc has been "meh" so far, I enjoyed the previous volume.

There is also something that the reviewer forgot.

not only it have a tie in to the visoreds arc, but to the fullbring / xecution arc too.

cause Gijio said that they got their fullbring powers due to the fact that their parents survived a hollow attack so they all have hollows inside of them.

However spoiler[ that whole thing with the Vanderich king actually being Zangestu ] is a serious head scratcher. probably why those so called die hards dont like the thousand blood war arc.

Also SAO is actually decent in itself. though mainly the phantom bullet arc and aincrad arc books.

i was kinda anticipating that he would trash the fairy dance / ALO books , not the ones based off the aincrad arc considering the main reason why non of the fans outside of the otaku doujinshi community liked it (both the books and the anime ) was of the possible romance of the two siblings Kirito and Suguha, which personally i got no beef about.

Kind of a double standard if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anpansparking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I think Gakuen Alice is the Tokyopop series I'd most like to see rescued, so I was really happy to see it featured here. Although it can get pretty dark at times, I felt like there were enough lighthearted moments to keep it from becoming too grim for my tastes.

I never got around to finishing the original Alice in the Country of Hearts series, but the review for March Hare kind of makes me want to get back into the franchise. Elliot was one of my favorite characters, so it's nice to see that this side story handles his character and relationship with Alice well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
anpansparking wrote:
I think Gakuen Alice is the Tokyopop series I'd most like to see rescued,
This x 1,000,000. Crying or Very sad
holanio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I have the 16 TP volumes for Gakuen Alice, and it most definitely needs to be rescued ]=
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
anpansparking wrote:

And Aria. Third time's the charm! :/

I only own the first 15 of Gakuen Alice...
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
anpansparking wrote:

Agreed! I really want the rest of this series and Swan that was originally put out by CMX. Gakuen Alice seems to have so much interesting story bubbling under its cute exterior. I'd prefer to get to read the rest of it legally. I think I've pretty much given up on all the other unfinished series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1