• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunagun (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I think the point is that Jack spoiler[has two E-Genes, both a killer and a savior and can switch between their abilities.]

Well I figured that too, but I was just trying to make a funny by completely missing the point.

whoops
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

Laughing
This is so funny if you read my comments last week. Apparently, according this show spoiler[Jack the Ripper was actually Florence Nightingale who went out killing people in a wheelchair], apparently I spoiler[was wrong to think the series would not] go there. She did spoiler[do it stop a threat, so she was not actually evil], but also means the end we had spoiler[Oda Nobunaga X Florence Nightingale]. Actually a surprising amount spoiler[of romance at the end] for this type of series.

Now what can I say about the Nobunagun series? It was stylistic, and in saying that I think the style was actually pretty original. Of note how it would have captions pop to give a bit of detail or make a funny observation, and also loved to make characters become bad ass. The fights can be both exciting and have some creativity put in. Just listening to the OP, Respect for the Dead Man, a heavy metal song, shows the sort of energy they put in it. Yes Shio is much tamer than she is in Nobunabun mode, I think it added some good balance as of late a military otaku girl, although I might be biased from the Girls und Panzer character.

Overall rating, is a Very Good, something out of personal taste that I thought that this was both cool and creative, and actually did not skimp on animation like some show, or if did they managed to hide it well within their style.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There we go, a spoiler[kiss in the end rather than just some tease. The finale was better than I had thought with the action but wasn't earth shattering or something I'll remember by a long time. Still I gotta admit, Jack and Nobuanga makes quite a badass power couple.]

Season 2 in the future? I wouldn't mind it too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This was another series I had almost zero hope for going in, so it wouldn't be too hard to please me by doing something right. But they really did a lot of things right, and overall, my only real objection was to the jarring fan service (which wasn't always out of place (sometimes it was fun), but too often so for my tastes, especially there at the end).

A minor quibble would be some rushed aspects of the series (as was discussed before, the seeming lack of mourning for the dead and concern for the injured).

But the fights and strategies were very creative - on both sides of the battles, the odd historical talents always manifested in unexpected ways, the revelation about Jack the Ripper's identity (!!) was a demented treat, and the last scene was refreshingly straightforward, despite Sio's tendency to stutter and mutter and not complete her sentences. So yeah, I'd be on board for another season. Smile
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
So now that the show's all wrapped up, who are you expecting to see in the dub?

Personally, I think Maxey Whitehead would make a pretty good Sio, and Eric Vale would be good as Jack.

Also, do you think they should give accents to the foreign characters like Ghandi? Or do you think that'd be too much?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm bitterly disappointed that Shio didn't spoiler[end up with Asao], but I guess I'll get over it.

Fun, visually interesting show. I bequeath it a Very Good rating and the fond hope of a sequel.

And thank God that after all these years the secret of Jack the Ripper's identity has FINALLY been revealed...
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Smooth, Jack. Smooth.

That was a great show. Very easy to tank or watch in segments with unique character designs and visuals that will ensure it'll be brought up as an example in years to come. A second season would be appreciated but not mandatory.

I've gotten a whole new respect for the dead men now.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Also, do you think they should give accents to the foreign characters like Ghandi? Or do you think that'd be too much?
Sakura Taisen tells us to never do that again.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I guess there trying to end in a way that won't be a problem if there's no season 2.

The start and the end were very good, but the middle just felt pointless. if they want to save money for physical release/dubbing, they could get away with only doing like episode 1-2 and 9-13 Anime hyper. I guess they probably didn't have much of a budget and had to cut somewhere.

This is probably my third favorite show this season (behind space dandy and D-frag).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Good stuff. I'm impressed that they actually went with an overt romance in the end. It was sweet. And the action continued to be solid. Overall this has been a really nice, pleasant surprise. Yeah it got a little bit worse in the middle and the humor is hit and miss but it was also a whole lot of fun. Hope it gets a sequel. (Although they picked about the perfect stopping point if it doesn't).
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
So who'd have thought thatspoiler[ Florence Nightingale] was Jack the Ripper and that spoiler[she killed those women to save the world from a bacteria] Laughing

Sio and Adam are quite a team. Wasn't expecting that ending, but it was cute! This episode was an excellent ending to a great series and I liked that they kept things open for a possible second season. I'd definitely watch if they made more.
I ended up rating it Very Good, but it's very close to being Excellent in my opinion.
born2die

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I want more Jack now. How could they do this to me?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Just finished the last episode and it turned out a lot better than it had any right to be, seeing how the show boils down to a bunch of psycho superheroes versus giant bugs. What makes it work is that the show knows how to make us care about our Heroes, they balance the psycho {Geronimo's scream-yell war cry, amazing...}, super {You'd think Jack would make the psycho part, well, no, not at all} and Hero {guess who} moments and they manage to use monster/historical references and shout outs for both expositional purposes and character development.

The most amazing part is that this based on a premise that sounded like historical figures would become weapons for modern people to fight aliens but how it was actually done was pretty epic for a 13 episode series which spent six episodes just introducing characters.

It defies rating because it's just pure fun, like if someone combined a Sam Raimi superhero movie with a 50's giant bug movie.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was really hot on this show at the beginning because I'm a sucker for a well constructed action flick and this started on the right foot. It has since cooled off slightly but left a pretty nice aftertaste. The humor got a little old after a while, the set of interesting actions that could emerge from the powers the historical figures had have mostly been exhausted (which is a good thing), and the whole thing resolved itself rather nicely.

Props:
-Interesting choices of well known and obscure historical figures, what aspects of their personality and accomplishments contributed to the team, and weapon and power design in general. I especially liked the equal consideration it gives to the support types versus the action types.
-Color palate during battles and the flower/camo effects overlaying real life were cool design touches that enhanced the experience.
-Soundtrack is worth mentioning because while I'm not the biggest fan of it in a vacuum, it fits what's going on well enough.
-All of this combined to produce a healthy amount of energy throughout.
-The whole scale of the the world at war seemed appropriately handled.

Slops:
-While the art style was interesting, the animation never had any fantastic, risky, or particularly cool moments.
-Some of the sexual stuff was a little Rolling Eyes , and it didn't help that that was the force of a lot of the jokes.
-Gaudi never got the attention I wanted him to. As a creative type, I thought the architecture could have been handled in a more interesting way. That said, Capa got his dues as a photographer.
-Action scenes cooled off slightly toward the end, mostly because the Invasion Objects started getting staler. Either more variety in the enemies or in what the good guys could do would have been nice.

Overall, I'm happy about this one. Just goes to show that even if the show isn't so intelligent, the right perspective and a little bit of real creativity can go a long way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12