• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Natural Resources

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This shot says it all:

Jave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Zero Suit Samus + Bunny Hood. Based Sakurai, you do God's work Laughing Closest we'll get to a bunnygirl outfit probably.
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, when did high heels supposedly become degrading?

I know plenty of women who wear high heels all the time. The things some of you people try to make offensive always gives me a good chuckle.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Persona 4 just came out on PSN for the PS3. It's going for $9.99. It doesn't look like they updated anything (I thought Persona 3 FES looked pretty good). I intend to get around to playing it as soon as I'm done with Dark Souls 2.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
I'm sorry, when did high heels supposedly become degrading?

I know plenty of women who wear high heels all the time. The things some of you people try to make offensive always gives me a good chuckle.

High Heels are fine, but in context of the game and for Samus' character it's incredibly out of place and kind of sexist. The only reason she's wearing them is because she's a girl. It's like putting a giant pink bow on her head, it makes no sense.
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
The only reason she's wearing them is because she's a girl.

Well high heels are generally worn by women Laughing And some guys, I guess...

Don't see how it's out of character though. She's had them for years all the way back to the 80s.

Last edited by Jave on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
She didn't in the last smash bros. game.

It's out of character because Samus is supposed to be a resourceful practical character. Heels aren't practical.

She also doesn't need the heels to be feminine. That's all they are really, a way to make Samus more feminine when she really doesn't need to be.

Last edited by Animehermit on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
Sheik looks largely as she did in previous games, while Zero Suit Samus now has downright ridiculous neon high heels. You can pretend that she and regular-suit Samus are fighting for the dignity of Metroid

Todd, through Zero Suit Samus Image wrote:
Press down, down and the A-Button to ASK A MAN FOR PERMISSION BEFORE YOU CAN FIGHT.

>Todd will never get over what happened to his gaming waifu since 2010. (Wink)

Admittedly do find it a bit of a shame that of the plethora of images that could've been used re: the latest Smash news, that Zero Samus was focused on. (Do find it funny if absurd that the high heels essentially carried over to this incarnation, though at least they have an obvious aesthetic and gameplay function as jetboots now.) Also found that the joke embedded into the image description to be unoriginal; I expected more from you, Todd! Guess I'm a bit tired of how I've seen some variation on the 'Metroid is so sexist now lol" mantra/joke repeated here often, though it's been counter-pointed plenty how certain aspects of M:OM, like Samus' following orders-schtick, are more illustrative of military power dynamics and excuses for gameplay mechanics (clumsily executed and easy-to-misconstrue as they may be) than gender-based power dynamics. Perhaps I'm focusing too much on it, but hey, maybe such sensitivity is the price I pay when M:OM became my first Wii game and by default one of my console-justifying purchases.

Anyway! Yeah, I also find it strange that the Wii U version is being released months after the 3DS version. In lieu of how the Wii U is still struggling, it seems too obvious to sell the home console version first! Perhaps it’s better than being released at the same time, and this gives Smash Bros Wii U more room to breathe around Christmas, but surely there’ll still be some galvanization going on…? After all, there’s not a great disparity between the versions—all the characters will be the same, with some variation in stages and music. Heck, the 3DS Smash Bros might have more in its favor, having an exclusive adventure-mode-lite Smash Run feature. Anime dazed Still, aside from the release dates, it's pretty cool to see all this news for it. Find it a bit sad that there won't be any character transformations here, at least with Sheik and Zelda; I remember seeing some great competitive play that involved active switching between those characters mid-play. It's good to know there's some explicitly clear acknowledgement of competitive play through the "For Glory" mode-- based on what I read elsewhere, apparently there will be a 'Final Destination' mode for every stage?

Now the key question is this: will Snake be making a return to Smash Bros? Please? Pretty please? (Though I've accumulated far more time with Melee than Brawl, Snake is definitely one of my favorite parts of my experience with the latter.) Or at least Big Boss. It's not like there was an MGS3 release for some Nintendo platform within the past few years- OH WAIT THERE WAS.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

It's out of character because Samus is supposed to be a resourceful practical character. Heels aren't practical.

She also doesn't need the heels to be feminine. That's all they are really, a way to make Samus more feminine when she really doesn't need to be.

What he said. It continues the degradation of Samus' character that started with Other M. She doesn't need sexy accessories, she's a goddamn space bounty hunter who explores alien worlds on her own.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS: I swear the Pokemon fans are as out of control and insane as usual. Some regular folks said Greninja was a waste of a character slot while others said they were disappointed in the choice all together. What do the Pokefans do? They explode into defensive posts one after another and accuse the "detractors" of so many things that it would take more than one post to explain it all. What is wrong with that fandom anyway?

A New Wild Arms: I will echo the concern of everyone who has said it previously upon hearing this: Please just make it a full console game and not some lazy, half-assed mobile title. Don't let down our expectations down when there hasn't been a new Wild Arms in years.

NAtURAL DOCtRINE:

Quote:
but it was the illustrious, multi-platform Emerald Dragon that stood out the most.

And yet we never got to enjoy Emerald Dragon. I find that unfair, especially considering who did the dragon designs in that game. He wasn't credited, but I know that art style anywhere.

Quote:
Perhaps they'll rename Jeff to something more genre-appropriate, like Larry or Wilbur or maybe even Todd.

I see what you did there. XD

Still More PSP Picks:

*Ys Oath in Felghana: An excellent choice, one that I have yet to play, but I know the praise this fantastic re-imagining of Ys III has earned. I will play this Ys, mark my words. I just need to finish Ark of Napishtim first.

*Persona PSP: Yes to this so much. If you disliked the PS1 bastardization (I didn't, mind you) that removed the Snow Queen quest, this is your one and only opportunity to experience the game it was meant to be, original money and experience earnings and all. That said, the new soundtrack is quite disappointing in comparison to the PS1 version's soundtrack, but for those impatient types you can speed up battles.

*Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: An unappreciated and often ignored entry, due to the fact it sold poorly in the U.S. and thus prevented our Namco branch from ever taking risks in the Radiant Mythology line again. Not to mention, when you look at what massive improvements the second and third entries are, it's easy to see why people would want to skip this one and move on to the Japanese only releases (and they have). Such a shame we couldn't get the other two titles. Radiant Mythology is still enjoyable and it's always neat to customize your gear to make your artes and stats incredible. Making a team of various Tales series heroes is great too, though the one drawback was that stupid refusal system, something that was thankfully removed in RM2 and 3.

*Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep: Well, interest in this game is going to revive big time when they release Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX. The PSP version, though, carried on for quite a long time after its release and people had constant discussions about it (checking some forums now, it seems the discussions have long since died down sadly). It was, and still is, tons of fun to play even if it leaves you wanting more because of the story (Kingdom Hearts III will hopefully resolve everything in the Xehanort arc).

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't wanna lay the blame solely at Sakurai for this one as he didn't design it., but at the end of the day that's the design he choose for her.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
A New Wild Arms: I will echo the concern of everyone who has said it previously upon hearing this: Please just make it a full console game and not some lazy, half-assed mobile title. Don't let down our expectations down when there hasn't been a new Wild Arms in years.

This. With there not being a game in so long that would just be brutal if it's not a full game, and man would I LOVE a new Wild Arms.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Considering, Samus is usually in her power suit towering over everyone, it really isn't a stretch to think she would wear something to boost her height outside of the suit as well.

My friend's wife is about 4'1" and she wears heels even at 2 in the morning to let her dog out.

Some men wear lifts in their shoes to appear taller.

There is nothing sexist about Samus wearing shoes that look like heels.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It has nothing to do with that though. If she wanted to be taller she could have worn boots. This is just an attempt to make her more feminine, when she really doesn't need it.

Giving examples of women who wear heals doesn't really stop this from being dumb. Heels themselves aren't the issue, it's the treatment of the character that is.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that we do get an actual new Wild Arms game. 5 was a really solid game that really made the most of what had to be a small budget. It had a pretty nice open world and did a lot with it's presentation. The hex battle system really removed whatever tedium it had in 4, it was really quite perfect. Honestly, just another one on any of the Playstation system would be welcome.

Quote:
I guess it could happen, but it is a Sony series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11