• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Yugioh Duel Monsters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So what exactly happened to this page?

anime#5074

Why does the series not have its proper (and original) title, Yugioh Duel Monsters, and why is it listed as a remake of the series properly titled Yugioh (which it isn't)?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Shows with US releases are always listed with their US title as the primary title, and in the US the show was called just "Yu-Gi-Oh!".

There was an earlier adaptation of the manga, with the same title. Since they ended that one, and redid it as the second series, it's rightfully called a remake.
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't even cover the same arcs though. As far as the title goes though, it was better as Yugioh Duel Monsters than Yugioh 2. I mean yes, you want to use the US title, but when the US title just makes the name under which you've placed the series sound kinda ridiculous, is it really worth it? Yugioh Duel Monsters was a more meaningful title.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
It doesn't even cover the same arcs though. As far as the title goes though, it was better as Yugioh Duel Monsters than Yugioh 2. I mean yes, you want to use the US title, but when the US title just makes the name under which you've placed the series sound kinda ridiculous, is it really worth it? Yugioh Duel Monsters was a more meaningful title.

Go ask 4Kids why they chose to ignore the existence of the first anime adaptation.

Or how Shonan Junai-gumi has "GTO" in the title, despite of Onizuka was just a delinquent back then, far from becoming a teacher.

Or how Peach Girl has a "second series."

"is it really worth it?"
Yes, and it's not for you to decide. Get over it and move on, please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:

Go ask 4Kids why they chose to ignore the existence of the first anime adaptation.

Or how Shonan Junai-gumi has "GTO" in the title, despite of Onizuka was just a delinquent back then, far from becoming a teacher.

Or how Peach Girl has a "second series."

"is it really worth it?"
Yes, and it's not for you to decide. Get over it and move on, please.

The reason why is pretty obvious: shorter and more catchy title. But then again, this is why your "American titles" policy needs to be more flexible. Ie use the American title as the main title where it makes sense, but otherwise leave it as a secondary title.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
But then again, this is why your "American titles" policy needs to be more flexible. Ie use the American title as the main title where it makes sense, but otherwise leave it as a secondary title.

Let me put it straight: You are not in the position to decide "where it makes sense" or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1