• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade & Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I'm glad I'm not that ridiculous. OMG, IT'S NOT ON BLU-RAY, IT'S UNWATCHABLE!!! OMG, THAT 3D CGI LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM THE 2D STUFF AROUND IT!!!! AIYEEEEE!!!

There's definitely a segment of anime fandumb that's just absurdly visually sensy. Can we remove that pea from under the 16th mattress for you, Princesses? Rolling Eyes
I don't know what a blu-ray has to do with anything here, but you remind me of one of those people you constantly berate for refusing to understand that some people have different tastes. You asked the question, I answered it, now you're insulting me for giving you an answer. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Well, I'm glad I'm not that ridiculous. OMG, IT'S NOT ON BLU-RAY, IT'S UNWATCHABLE!!! OMG, THAT 3D CGI LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM THE 2D STUFF AROUND IT!!!! AIYEEEEE!!!

There's definitely a segment of anime fandumb that's just absurdly visually sensy. Can we remove that pea from under the 16th mattress for you, Princesses? Rolling Eyes
I don't know what a blu-ray has to do with anything here, but you remind me of one of those people you constantly berate for refusing to understand that some people have different tastes. You asked the question, I answered it, now you're insulting me for giving you an answer. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask.

My mention of BD is super obvious. I'm using it as another example of a kind of fandumb visual sensitivity. I'm talking about those who genuinely feel that a show on DVD only isn't worth watching (not just that they PREFER watching something on BD over DVD, but that DVD quality is so "bad" they won't buy a show if that is the only format it is available in). I place those people in the same category as those who lose their shit over perfectly adequate 3D animation like what we saw in Blade and Soul. By the way, I don't lump you in with some of the others with respect to "losing their shit." Your objections didn't indicate the scene in question launched you into the realm of ridiculous hyperbole. Those people are the ones who make me roll my eyes. The problem with making overblown comments about the quality of that scene is that it leaves absolutely no where left to go when talking about truly dreadful 3D CGI like what you see in Dead Space: Aftermath.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I, too, had no problem with Alka being mostly mute. It's like she's turned everything off except the necessity of revenge. But, if you look at her actions rather than her (lack of) words, you'll start to learn things about her, like the fact that she is not heartless as there are people she could've killed but didn't, namely the spoiler[bounty hunter] in this episode.

Also, the proprietress was in the last episode, and the bounty hunter is in the picture for the series, so I expect both of them will make additional appearances in the series.

I also liked Alka wandering around the city. I *think* she was *trying* to spoiler[get someone to notice her without making it obvious. She wanted to get one of those soldier-guys from the kingdom she's against to jump her, so she could capture him and get info. This ended up backfiring as too many people showed up and her target died in the exchange.]

I don't think Alka is stupid at all.

Did you see the end of that battle scene? She didn't kill Hazuki because Karen interrupted her attack. If not for her i have no doubt should would have absouletly killed her. Sure she was a bit slower at delivering the final blow than with other folks but I'm assuming that was just for shock value reasons since you see this kind of thing all the time where people take their sweet time attempting to kill someone important before they are dramatically saved.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Regardless of being interrupted, if she wanted to she would have done it if she wanted to, instead she decided to escape rather than get a hit in while she was distracted.

She is the type that reacts, if someone tries to kill her she will do it first, kind of like a Riddick thing, which that example is really sticking in my head for some reason. Kind of like how she was trying to lure pursuers.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
having watched 77 episodes of Aikatsu!, that dancing scene just didn't phase me. I recognize how out of place it is, but I just don't care. I liked this episode. the stroll through town and everything that was going on was fascinating to me, and amusing at some points. the characters are bland right now, but that doesn't other me either. it will if we go through the other 11 episodes and they don't develop at all, but for now, I don't have any issues with them. that fight was awesome, but I hope its not the only one
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She is the type that reacts, if someone tries to kill her she will do it first, kind of like a Riddick thing, which that example is really sticking in my head for some reason. Kind of like how she was trying to lure pursuers.

She reminded me of a genderswapped boobie-swordie version of Golgo 13, actually. I find something about that extremely funny.
TD912

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I felt the sudden 3DCG dancing in the bar felt very jarring and out of place compared to the surrounding 2D animation.

However, I must also say the ending theme animation that was done fully in 3D looked significantly better. It was very nicely choreographed to the song and had excellent camera work.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
ep.3

spoiler[meet roaka & her gang that were raiding tombs & oh interfere on hazuki's bounty hunt on arka.

cause roaka want arka help to lure in palam give they have prob with them & also reveal name person who place bounty & killed arka's master aka varrel.

then drunk hazuki complain still can't bounty by talking with karen yet also heard of roaka's gang.

next day palam elite arrive give roaka ask arka reason for her revenge, code, etc give way arka is feel asking are you human yet remind bit of varrel?!

so then give no deal offer happen yea roaka's gang got splat since there were wearing RED (redshirt effect) yet seeing power of varrel black aura that make redshirt goes boom.

arka go charge in yet give caught in black aura yet she endure til fell in the water give hazuki watch it got scared of seeing varrel face.

battle over give one of karen's men see area roaka's gang are down (give preview show roaka still alive). ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Another really solid episode. I have to say, the story-telling is of much higher calibre than I would have initially assumed based on the character designs. Very pleasant surprise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yeah they still are avoiding doing the easy way with major fanservice, the ridiculous bikini not withstanding. My opinion when we saw them spoiler[partying and their plan was that they were all going to die], a bit obvious in that regard.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another really solid episode. I have to say, the story-telling is of much higher calibre than I would have initially assumed based on the character designs.

I have to agree. It looks like we are going to be treated to a sequence of disposable venues for Alka. To me it seems like the strength of these artists is being able to build a pretty deep setting in a fairly short time (the village, the Pleasure Gang) and so so even when it is left without any tears within a moment.

The bounty hunter gal is kind of annoying and you just know she is going to end up being allies with Alka before we are done. Perhaps even before too much longer.

Alka doesn't ever eat, drink, or take a dump. It must save a lot of time.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad ep. The battle outcome was pretty predictable but I didn't expect spoiler[sniper chick to get the KO.]. I bet she'll join up when spoiler[she demands her pay and they refuse]. I'm ok with this level of fanservice so long as the rest of the show holds up. It's a fair balance.

I'd be cool with this being a travelling anime. Every episode, a new group of people who will (probably, but not always) die, picking up a straggler or 2 along the way.

Alka's spoiler[master looks... not like I expected] he would. Still though, good to see that she's not an emotionless machine. While suppressing emotions isn't usually a fun character trait for me I do like how they show it here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[kids] sure live a harsh life in this show....

I feel sorry for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I feel sorry for them.

This show isn't for the sentimental I'll say.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that I'm surprised at how good the story is given the show's outlandish wardrobe malfunctions waiting to happen that all the ladies are wearing while they fight. I was expecting something like Ikki Tousen going into this but it's good to be wrong in this case.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu May 01, 2014 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9