• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I like traps, but I don't think there are enough convincing ones to fill out a tournament bracket.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
^
I thought that could be the case, which is why I suggested Most Feminine Male Character as an alternative title. Though it does sound mealy-mouthed it is broader in scope, and getting - say - sixty-four characters would not be difficult. Could probably get ninety-six at a stretch. It would not be a bad idea should we decide on a shorter tournament this time.

Anyway, my main interest was restarting the discussion about what the next topic would be. I'm not seriously going out to bat for this one.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Any interest in another tournament and minigame. I've talked to mow123 and we are willing to co-sponsor the prize for the next tournament if a moderator can devote the time to administer it on the forums and another active forum member to track the scoring. Key has done a fantastic job of the former in the past, but I know he has hinted that his interest was somewhat wavering. I think I may have a template leftover with the macros that Dorcas used, but if not I may able to help there, but I have no desire to recreate the best and worst place scoring matrices Dorcas had.

I still think there are many amazing idea and topics left to uncover. It is very unfortunate that Dorcas_Aurelia went missing during the middle of it and it seem very out of character since he has been proven to be very reliable in the past. The good news is that he is most likely okay since there has been movement on his MyAnimeList account. I know for a while people were concerned for his well being. That being said, it is unfortunate that is still inactive on ANN. He was a valuable member of the community and devoted countless hours managing the complex scoring on the minigames with his Excel wizardry.

I am game for another tournament but without someone willing to administer scoring for the minigame and moderate the thread, I would strongly recommend against it. These tournament are an 8+ year old ANN tradition, and there are still many unexplored topic that we can explore to preserve this tradition, but we need the resources to do it right now that Dorcas Aurelia is unlikely to support us on the next tournament.

Last edited by Olliff on Fri May 30, 2014 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Could the tournament be expanded to include female characters who could pass as male? There probably aren't quite as many of them out there but there's definitely a few. The first that comes to mind would be Haruka from Sailor Moon, who even the characters think is male during her first appearance.

Also, if it's just an appearance-based tournament, it could be expanded by allowing manga to be included for once.

Definitely not the deepest tournament in the world but it could be fun. Though as far as character design goes, best overall cast design would be more interesting to me (even if the idea for it did come from Key using it as an example of what wouldn't work as a topic).

I'd be willing to help out with running things too, since a good majority of my posts have been for tournaments in the past.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Could the tournament be expanded to include female characters who could pass as male?

Not only women who could pass as male but also those who did crossdress as males, or at least took on a male-like role in the cast (such as Sugimoto from Aoi Hana). Yeah, Anime has quite a number of handsome girls who exude charm and make other girls weak at the knees.

Hmm, I think that could be worked into a single tournament which would cover both effeminate guys and manly gals. I don't know what the title would be though; feel free to suggest one.

Oh, and this is an anime sub-forum, so we should probably just stick with anime rather than allowing manga or references to manga-only material. Of course, the decision is ultimately up to the person who eventually runs the next tournament.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
I think I may have a template leftover with the macros that Dorcas used, but if not I may able to help there, but I have no desire to recreate the best and worst place scoring matrices Dorcas had.
If you're talking about what I think you are, I provided that matrix in the beginning and could probably recreate it if you want. I haven't participated in a tournament in a long while though, he might have made improvements over what I gave him.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd certainly like to see the tournament come to life again. We could definitely have simpler minigame support if necessary; I for one certainly wouldn't be against it.

I'd personally prefer to keep it to anime only as well. I don't read manga and have little interest in it, and I think that there are likely many others like me on here.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'll be into what should be a much lighter work load by the end of next week, I have yet to revive much interest in, or enthusiasm for, administering these tournaments.

But we'll see. After a few weeks on summer break I might get bored enough to be interested again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
If it's just looking at character design, I honestly don't see what the issue with having manga-only stuff would be. All you have to do is look at a picture. And I can't exactly see any other way to argue about this specific category that would require any further knowledge. I'd be a heck of a lot more interested in it if manga entries were allowed, since the manga forum is never going to generate enough traffic for tournaments to be held there.

Also, this specific idea has W Juliet written all over it.
mow123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
A bit late but Olliff told me about this, and it looks we don't have the support of Key and getting another mod is going to be extremely difficult. Abunai has dabbled but his little involvement has been met with frustration and much annoyance on his end. We have the funds for the minigame, derek to help with formulas for scoring, but without a mod, I would move for this tournament to not happen.

Hopefully, Key gets bored. It is summer after all, but I would be surprised if he is not involved in tutoring or summer school.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Why can't a non-mod handle the tournament?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Why can't a non-mod handle the tournament?

I have no idea.

All a mod would have to do is "sticky" the tournament thread when it starts and then "unsticky" it once the tournament is over. A minute's worth of work, at most.

Anyone interested?

==========

I've got a lots of other ideas for tournament themes that I want to throw out there, but here's two. And yes they aren't as populist and easy to run as Most Moe Redux or whatever but I think they are strong candidates if we are going for a more traditional discussion-orientated tournament.

Most Improved Show
Kinda the opposite of Best First Episode, it honours those shows which start off mediocre (or worse) but then get significantly better later on. You know, the type of show where its fans go, "trust me, keep watching till episode six because it gets totally awesome." The good part is that this tournament could be used by fans to champion titles which were initially dismissed by most people but once out of the mainstream glare improved dramatically. Think Log Horizon or Psychic Detective Yakumo, or any one of a hundred other titles that people dropped too fast because the show started too hesitantly.

The only problem is that it would be difficult to judge how much an entire show improves, although if there's video support we can show awesome scenes that happen later on.

-----

Most Aesthetically Daring
If you don't like the word "daring" then it can be replaced with something else like "creative" or whatever, but basically this tournament would be about shows with visual styles unlike anything else. Think Bakemonogatari, FLCL, Mononoke, Gankutsuou, Kaiba, PMMM, that sort of thing. There wouldn't be many nominees - thirty-two at most, I reckon - but that would actually be in this tournament's favour since it would be fast and easy to manage, plus all the nominees would be strong.

I like this one because it offers something different to usual tournament ideas. It is a shout-out to those creators and art directors who try and push the boundaries and offer us sumptuous feasts for the eyes.

==========

So whaddaya think?
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
I really like both of those ideas dtm!

Most improved show I'd be interested in participating in because a lot of my favorite shows are things where a lot of the interest isn't up front, but rather developed gradually over the course of the series.

I REALLY love the most aesthetically daring one, since I've been really wanting to do something that was visually focused, and think it would be a good departure from previous tournaments. Plus, I'd like to see the visual side of things discussed a lot more than it is, and this would be a great venue to enable that kind of discussion.

I'll go on record saying that I would be willing to run the tournament if it were that in particular.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
I think most aesthetically daring/creative/experimental is the best idea we've had in the last couple of pages. It's broad enough to include a wide variety of titles, avoids the need to cherry pick scenes without shutting out the options, and is visually based in a way that is actually relatable. Dtm, your other idea was great too. I'll be a very active participant if we can get something up; these tournament games are fun!
mow123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
I thought one of the moderators made a comment that having a mod was a requirement due to these threads causing more reports than normal, and to make sure the debate confides with the rules of ANN.

I would prefer a trait based tournament, such as Biggest Otaku, Biggest Jerk, Least Successful, or Biggest Loser, but some of these ideas do have merit. The key is the ability to create discussion, have criteria, and have some sort of depth. I don't want this to devolve into a popularity poll you would see on MyAnimeList.Net.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 34