• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragonar Academy (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
I want Dr. Cromwell to dissect my ... clothing. Nice titties, Doc! I love when shows understand what constitutes character design greatness.

Still curious as to how MC will "ride" Eco...
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Has there ever been a harem that has more than two of the same character type? o_O

Tsuyokiss? From what I remember, all girls are tsundere.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm expecting the reverse, myself.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
seems I worry too much. For now, I don't have any problems with Eco. still not sure what i think about the show though. some direction would be nice
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
For now, I don't have any problems with Eco.

I'm a little shocked, I think. Anime hyper

Quote:

o_o Never saw that. Never even heard of that! But interesting. I always root for THE tsundere....but a harem FULL of them....wth, that blows my mind. Anime hyper WHO WOULD I ROOT FOR!?

Quote:

Giggity? :'D
.....................Chiibi....are you seriously a girl? ಠ_ಠ
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Has there ever been a harem that has more than two of the same character type? o_O

Interesting I just saw a gif of that show recently too............ REALLY REALLY REALLY glad i didn't end up watching it Razz
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I was going to intro my opinions by saying how rare it is that Bango is late to watch a show with dragongirls but really, Eco NOT being done by Rie is a much much bigger shock. She's 100% her character. I hope Eco's actual VA doesn't get nicknames like Rie Kugimiya Alternative or Bootleg Rie Kugimiya if she ends up with a lot of similar roles. Like a Dollar Store version of an otherwise expensive voice.

I'm a little sad that they did the Polyphonica thing on us and had the uber hot molesting girl in his dreams turn up a DFC. Not that I mind that so much and Eco's not an outright loli which makes it a bit better but it's almost to the point where the partner being a developed woman is a rarity.

There's some BS here too. Is Ash a spoiler[break-and-enter] pro or is the answer to a spoiler[locked door just to TRY HARDER?] I'd have a beef with him not knowing anything and needing all the info of his setting given to him but when I learned graphic arts I paid absolutely no attention to the modules on Director and used that time to learn more about Flash because I was sure it would replace Director. Well lookee what happened. So it might stand to reason that he didn't pay attention to dragon rules because he didn't have one. But to not know a single thing about your entire setting is something that always bugged me with shows like this. Especially when they're partnered with somebody who is new to the setting and could give a great excuse for info drops there. Eco not being able to access spoiler[the Joint Tactical Network... err... Dragonpedia] is even more of a reason why she could need filled in on things. It also makes the hero look like less of a looser who's only special because he has main character status.

Regarding spoiler[richgirl's apology, I kind of wonder if she would have apologized if Eco hadn't shown up. Eco's existence proved her wrong. I know the anime won't address it but I thought about that for the entire scene.]

So far my favourite character design is actually the ninja. And I laughed my butt of when I saw the masked guy.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And the spoiler[mad scientist becoming a teacher], reminds of a certain show.

Reminds me of a lot of shows. LOL.

Perks: Nice setting. I like dragon horses too. The uniforms are cute and Eco fanservice is nice.
Flaws: Extremely formulaic. Art team can't seem to decide what head ratio to use for the characters, Main character annoys me.
Neutral points: Eco had better sprout some wings/horns/tail fast or I'm demoting her to "Poser Dragongirl" status. Come on, Eco. You don't want to be outdone by freakin Rose. God damn Rose. PLEASE, Eco. Please.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
Ep3-

If I'm interpreting this correctly the villain is opposed to peace? Or to their "improper" use of dragons perhaps. Also, seems I was wrong (or at least partially) about Eco just being a younger Navi. I guess they're 2 different people.

Lots and lots of fanservice in this ep. Pretty good stuff too. The second I saw that spoiler[zombiedragon I knew tentacles] would be involved at some point. I do like the image of Eco standing confidently, covered only by ze magics. I always liked the Lord Blazer look too, although I prefer it for female characters.

Prez is pretty amusing here too. Pretty badass.

An ok episode. It felt kind of ephemeral despite having some important developments
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:

Eco had better sprout some wings/horns/tail fast or I'm demoting her to "Poser Dragongirl" status. Come on, Eco. You don't want to be outdone by freakin Rose. God damn Rose. PLEASE, Eco. Please.

Please tell me when this happens. Until then, I probably am not even going to watch this show, as it sounds like a very formulaic retread of countless other male wish-fulfillment fantasy stories. I've seen enough of them where the guy with hidden powers has some hot girl fall into his lap. Now, if she were to turn into a dragon at some point, then that would add something significant which might make me want to watch just to see what happens to her. However, I probably wouldn't watch for any other reason. In fact, I might just skip to that episode and watch from there.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
^ It would be wise to do just that ChibiKangaroo because the rest of the show really doesn't hold up very well at making itself interesting for the most part.

Regarding the episode...well I'm convinced that Echo is just a fanservice tool character at this point. After stupidly yelling at a 50 story dragon as if it was going to stop because some insignificant ant was pestering it the dragon decides that tentacle rape was more subtitle than simply crushing her. The uncensored version of the episode took it even further than necessary to boot.

Then we have Navi show up and say "Hey the MC is dying so i'm going to give you a very complicated powerup that you will figure out how to use in mere seconds because of the power of love."

The villain is pretty much Orchimaru from Naruto but much less interesting based on what we've seen from him so far.

Heck the only worthwhile thing i found in this episode was Ash slapping the crap out of Silvia (who is still pretty unbearable).
I have no idea how many times i rewinded that Anime smile
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Tentacle rape... slapping

I was trying to look for a gif of that slap and ended up getting manga spoiled (tho luckily the stuff I saw wasn't "story" spoilers) and if the anime gets to wherever that was I actually need to bump my loli defense warning on this one to up maximum. Manga spoiler: spoiler[One of them (possibly the ninja) is literally wearing a snake for clothes yet manages to cover even less than What's-her-Face from Queen's Blade.]

The tentacle scene sparked a pretty in-depth debate between a friend and I. NSFW text warning:

Since the spoiler[tentacles didn't rip her panties off or slide under] them until after the spoiler["humping]" scene it could be argued that nothing went in anywhere. But since the... ummm... spoiler["tentacle reinforcements"] are followed by a look of spoiler[fear, a fade to black and transition to an entirely mental realm], the opposite could easily be argued. So that seriously decreases the number of people I can show this to who might otherwise like it. It's a very fine line for some people.

For me avoiding the loli classification requires a statement of age, and/or hips developed to a proportionate point comparable to other seemingly mature girls AND a head proportion above 4.5, adjusting for art style. So I can't really cover for Eco anymore.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The point of this show is to enjoy Eco being a (somewhat) loli though.
I don't know why one would watch the series, while trying to be apologetic about enjoying loli.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Tentacle rape... slapping

I was trying to look for a gif of that slap and ended up getting manga spoiled (tho luckily the stuff I saw wasn't "story" spoilers) and if the anime gets to wherever that was I actually need to bump my loli defense warning on this one to up maximum. Manga spoiler: spoiler[One of them (possibly the ninja) is literally wearing a snake for clothes yet manages to cover even less than What's-her-Face from Queen's Blade.]

The tentacle scene sparked a pretty in-depth debate between a friend and I. NSFW text warning:

Since the spoiler[tentacles didn't rip her panties off or slide under] them until after the spoiler["humping]" scene it could be argued that nothing went in anywhere. But since the... ummm... spoiler["tentacle reinforcements"] are followed by a look of spoiler[fear, a fade to black and transition to an entirely mental realm], the opposite could easily be argued. So that seriously decreases the number of people I can show this to who might otherwise like it. It's a very fine line for some people.

For me avoiding the loli classification requires a statement of age, and/or hips developed to a proportionate point comparable to other seemingly mature girls AND a head proportion above 4.5, adjusting for art style. So I can't really cover for Eco anymore.

Oddly enough I found that gif right before i even watched the episode. I had to double take for a second because I thought it was for the wrong show lol.

From what i could tell she was still inside the dragons body until Ash sliced it up. Which means when we see the tentacles racing towards her and then she afterwards wakes up in a mental realm that indicates that she ended up fainting. So that kind of implies that a great GREAT number of things could have been happening to her body while she was in the mental realm........... Embarassed

I think this show would be hard to recommend to anyone who isn't already used to this kind of stuff in anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
"I-I can't reach..."

That line had me laughing Laughing

None of that other stuff bothers me Cool
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
The point of this show is to enjoy Eco being a (somewhat) loli though.
I don't know why one would watch the series, while trying to be apologetic about enjoying loli.

I just wanted to watch dragons and dragon trainers/tamers doing whatever they do but they gave me a quasi-tsundere loli dragon who is actually a well endowed molester in MC's dream. This is more than what I bargained for. . . but I'm okay with it so far. I can see myself dropping the show or just torturing myself to watch through the whole thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12