• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daimidaler the Sound Robot (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
When did I say the creators were stupid? Confused

I said the show itself was stupid but obviously in a good way.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
When did I say the creators were stupid? Confused

I said the show itself was stupid but obviously in a good way.

You didn't, I did. And by that I'm drawing a distinction between the stupidity in KlK and Daimidaler. You could see that as a difference between offensively stupid and charmingly stupid (Your comments say that you do). It takes skill to make something charmingly stupid and my impressions of the first episode say that the creators of Daimidaler lack that skill.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Since this is sourced from an ongoing manga and KLK didn't start off being stupid but gradually then earnestly and then constantly stepped into it like an old pair of slippers, I'm going to be betting on Daimidaler. On what, I'm not sure exactly. Yet.

Regardless, I'm sticking with this show until I learn who "top hat and cape" is. And the couple team, and the "mission control" trio ... working out of a beauty parlor?... when they feel like it? Ok, show, uh, show me more.

Also, the hero is a worthless human being, the show absolutely acknowledges this by keeping him on par with the faceless penguin mooks morality wise. Of course, it gives the hero Hi-ERO power while it makes the mooks simply perverts.

And I like the robot designs. Asymmetrical versus bottom heavy, realistic and unpleasing, what's to like? {Not much of a mecha fan...}
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
with episode 2, I'm pretty sure we are supposed to take this seriously, but I can't. I want to drop this, but I also want to see what other bizarre plans to the penguins try. I don't know what to do
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see how far the perversion goes.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
ep1 -

The thing airs on AT-X so I'm going to catch future eps on that version. I like my smut uncensored whenever possible. Not so much for what I'm not seeing as I just find the censorship distracting.

The show itself is a mixed bag. I did snicker at some of gags which, in retrospect, were all either at a glorious Jam Project tune playing for boob grabbage or were all stuff regarding the penguins. But with the exception of Top Hat and the main character I don't like the visual design of anyone. The robot is almost offensively stupid looking. I get that it's a parody but if that's no reason to have the title robot look dumb. If they manage a damn good story-relevant reason then I'll forgive it. Otherwise that's practically a declaration of war, having a mecha series with a dumb-looking robot.

I think one of the things that made ace pervert "Goldenboy" Kintaro Oe so great was that nobody was shyly, willing letting him touch them. When his perversions came to light they treated him like a cancer and when they did see the good in him, he was already biking onward to the next adventure. I could just laugh at Kouichi's antics. But knowing that a chick is going to be letting him unwillingly fondle her every episode kind of annoys me.

I do want to meet the villain (I'm assuming it's the villain) though because she's really cute. I was going to facepalm over "a show about grabbing boobs and I go for the loli" but rewatching the intro I see that I was mistaken and that she's got a rack of her own. BONUS! But I just can't expect anything evil from her. I'm also suspecting the good guys and the Penguin Empire will need to team up in the end to take on the true bad guy, who's actually evil.

All in all I'll give it another ep or 2 (yeah, I know I'm slow this season) before deciding if it's a keeper but thus far I think subbed screenshots/gifs of the gags will do everything the show will.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
ep 2 - Significantly funnier. Matayoshi is pretty good. I want to know what's up with the squirt's perpetual nosebleed. I picture her having an earbud in, hidden by her hair, listening to a trash-talk track like Tomoko from Watamote. That'd be funny. But it might never be explained.

Ah, so next ep the spoiler[character I'm waiting for is fully introduced. And she seems pretty cool/hot. Possible semi-yandere vibe? I hope so! Apparently she's a penguin fangirl, which I consider the greatest motivation ever.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
For the hundreds of series where the heroine slaps the hero when he doesn't deserve it and the double handful where he does, it's refreshing to have a series where the guy gets slapped because:

1 He deserves it
2 He insulted her breasts
3 He really deserves it

And the tragic backstory of her father and the banana was pretty golden too, and I liked the bit with the villains plans being debuted on a badly run website, the "Hi-ERO" particles exposition being drowned out by the villain's monologue and how a beauty salon just "became" a worldwide brain trust and secret authority of giant robots.

This is their baseline, I really want to see where they can bring it.

The "top hat, cape and cane" bit did remind me of Bugs Bunny impersonating a penguin, apparently it was intentional. Good job, Japan!
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Man, she'd be so sad if it turned out they were really just guys in costumes and not freaky penguin men.

Anyway, a decent 3rd ep. Nice downside to the enemy robot's finishing move. Though I laughed the hardest at the spoiler[vacuum cleaner manual dirty talk]. That was pure genius.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't really like anything about this show. I tried, but nothing. time to drop
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Have to give props to one of the funniest lines I've come across in anime in a while:

"So many fliers! They're fluttering like labia!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

But on a more serious note - could spoiler[our MC rilly be deaded??? Eh, wouldn't matter much to me.] Guy's a douche.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wait that annoying degenerate dickbrain is dead?!!! Show might be worth watching now Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Come on, dude, use spoiler tags. spoiler[And nothing is for certain. In fact, I rather doubt it.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a reason to use spoiler tags in a series discussion unless you are

1. Referencing manga material

or

2. Talking about another show in a different thread.

I mean why would you even look at a currently ongoing thread like this if you didn't expect people to be actually talking about what happened in it? That's like people who get upset about youtube videos spoiling the show for them. Maybe you should watch all the episodes first before looking up stuff related to it?

A smart person would fully catch themselves up before jumping in a conversation like this. What idiot would comment on something like episode 5 when everyone else is already talking about episode 12? It's not my fault if people can't use common sense lol.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with you, but spoilers are still required and mods do actively enforce the rule
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5