• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selector Infected + Spread Wixoss (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I did LOL a bit at a blue deck milling the green deck. Yeah, I used to play Magic way back when.

This show wins my "coolest granny" award. A friend of mine's grandparents are huge tabletopRPG/board/card/video/minis gamers and they're super cool. I also like how Ruko and her bro act like normal believable siblings just to drive further on how hard the spoiler[twincest] plight is.

I'm really loving this show. The oppressive atmosphere I love so much is almost always there and Tama's battlelust makes me kind of wonder of the nature of these cards. Unlike Z/X they're actually playing a card game, although it seems flimsy on the rules. Like spoiler[Akira just kept taking extra turns]. But shy girl might've been counted as passing her's. I dunno. Also, the cards themselves might take over as best they can when spoiler[their master is having a depression fit.]

Ruko was pissing me off with her "I know nothing and have no reason to be in this show, but I'll win because I'm MC strong!" thing, but it turned out to have a lot of depth and issues that I'm eager to see them explore. Of course the show reminds me a tad of Madoka (I'm expecting a terrible plot twist) but it also reminds me of one called Mushi Uta or something, which I only saw 1 or 2 eps of. Even scenes that take place during the day are often in the shadow of tall buildings and the sunlight reveals scuffed and blemished locations.

This is going right on my "watch it ASAP" list.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Poor Yuzuki. Such is the pain of forbidden love.

Was satisfying to see Akira lose her shit. Can't wait until some one beats her at the card game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Very Happy Guess who is voicing a villainous character? It put a huge smile on my face and I am super ready.

I was wondering in the episode why is it that their cards seem to be so different personality wise, but I think it actually made sense when Akira was saying she hated her's for reminding her of someone. I think it is that their cards might spoiler[represent their wishes]: Akira's spoiler[reminds her of her rival she wants to surpass], Hitoe'sspoiler[ is warm and friendly like the one she wants to get], Yuzuki's spoiler[is honest and self confident like she wants with her desire], and Tama spoiler[is aimless with the desire to play because Ruuko really has no goal other than fun]. So really the way for their wish to be answered really is to spoiler[evolve their card because they are getting closer to their wish in doing so.] As we saw in the episode, Tama spoiler[evolved because Ruuko had gotten closer to really just having fun].

Kind of makes you worried with spoiler[Rie's master that her wish would manifest as something so grim].
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
I am seriously loving Yuzuki's character design! Kind of simple, but it just looks great lol I watch this series for the romance Wink
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Ugh I would really REALLY appreciate an info dump at some point on how this game works but at the moment I think the show is just giving the middle finger to whoever is trying to understand how this game is played.

And it doesn't even make sense to me why this is still an issue. In most shows like this it's common to introduce a noobish character who doesn't know how to play properly. You then have someone who is really good or decent at the game explain the basics to the character so we as the audience can get get the jist of things and can easily fill in the blanks as the game gets more advanced.

In this case the MC is pretty much a complete noob. There is the setup right there. As a new player it should have been easy to have someone like Yuzuki properly explain things to her. But apparently that's not very important since she is able to fight at a decent level with no experience already. Though i think Tama might have something to do with it.

Anyways i found a post elsewhere by "Mizu" that explains what he was able to gather from watching the show how the game works. It's not complete but it's the best we have right now.

"Those seven orbs around the Lrig are life points. The gameplay is actually really similar to Vanguard.

Lrig = Hero(ine) [equivalent of the Vanguard in Vanguard]
Signi = monsters [eq. of rear-guard in Vanguard]. No cost. Level is limited to level of Lrig. The Lrig also has a "limit number" which the levels of the Signi cannot exceed. The limit number decreases (yes, decrease) as Lrig levels up. So, Level 4 Lrig with limit number of 10 means maximum signi level is 4, and total sum of levels cannot exceed 10. (e.g.4-3-3 is valid, 4-4-3 is not). I believe there is a limit of 3 Signi on your side of the field at any given moment.
Spells - cost energy to use.
Arts - spell of sorts that lie in a side deck. So unlike spells that you have to draw, Arts can be used anytime that fits the card condition. These also cost energy. (The thing Yuzuki used and the anti-spell Ruko used are Arts)
Grow - pay cost to level Lrig by 1.
At the start, 7 cards are put aside and counts as your life points, or "Life Cloth"
Phases:

1) Draw phase. Initial turn draw 1, subsequent turns draw 2
2) "Energy" phase. 1 card from hand is added to an "energy zone"
3) "Grow" phase: pay a cost to level up Lrig by 1
4) Main phase: summon, cast, etc
5) Attack phase: If there is an opposing signi, your signi must battle it. If there is no opposing signi, the Lrig is attacked and a "life point" is deducted. The Lrig's attack can ignore opposing signi. Lrig's attack can be blocked by discarding a card from hand that has the guard effect.
**remember, the life cloth is actually 7 cards put aside at the beginning. So when one of them is destroyed, it is first checked for any effects (which are activated) and then moved to the energy zone.
6) End Phase.
The anime seems to be ignoring the 7-life rule, or maybe higher level Lrig deals more damage. I'm not sure on this point."
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Oh wow...Akira. Originally, I thought she would at least have some sort of sincerity for her cards and friends. But after watching that ending there, I'm a bit off. Then again, I think spoiler[someone else might take and eliminate her out of the game.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
ep3 -
Another good one. Pretty tense and we learned a lot. It's good that we got the spoiler["please fight for realz"] stuff out of the way early.

So Akira and the other girl from the OP have a kind of spoiler[opposite thing] going on. She's spoiler[batshit while the rival model's card is sadistic.] I think Dusky might be on to something with the cards relating to the wishes. The only counter I can think of is that the cards spoiler[may have their personalities from the start]. But the only example we have of that is Tama, and I wouldn't say she's a very good one to gauge from.

I actually always wanted to play a card game that was about powering up a single avatar instead of summoning an army. Back around when Homelands came out for Magic the Gathering some friends and I made a variant with custom cards that was like that but it didn't work out. Thinking back we didn't even try to balance it. It might've turned out to be good.

I think this ep answered my previous rules beef though, in that I think they can just keep taking actions until they choose to stop or run out of whatever resource their actions are consuming. I'm not bothering caring about detailed rules yet since the actual rules will likely be translated at the end of the month when the game comes out. Any card game anime or manga I've experienced either didn't involve playing the actual game, or they outright ignored the rules in favour of plot. So knowing this bare minimum is good enough for me.

As always with these omen-soaked shows, re-watching the first half of ep1 again is pretty neat.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Ep4 -
I watched half this episode picturing a Jojo-style MENACING~~~ across the screen. I'd say now that Akira's done with the fangirls they've learned to not be manipulated so easily but they likely haven't. The next celeb they interact with will likely control them too. And Akira will just have another group to abuse.

I like that they didn't drag it out with spoiler[Ruko being in the dark the bro/sis thing] and that she spoiler[figured it out with the clues given]. A character who's good at games needs to be insightful. Of course "you want your brother to plow you." isn't the natural go-to option but spoiler[I'm glad it didn't drag on].

Also, I'm glad even Ruko rspoiler[ealizes Tama isn't quite normal]. I was a little sad to learn that the other cards spoiler[know something Tama doesn't, since I think her knowing about whatever terrible thing will happen yet still wanting to fight endlessly would just make her scarier].

Having wishes granted spoiler[by the girls and not by the cards] is a really nice option spoiler[but I do feel bad for them]. Loosing your place must suck, especially when you're a card that normal humans can't even talk to. Though it does open up the possibility that spoiler[cards might try to dissuade people from achieving their wishes on their own, if the card as any reason to continue battling or getting the wish].

Will Ruko's 2nd battle be against spoiler[whats-her-face-other-model-girl?] There's still a chance she'll back out.

So to me the show is doing all the right things. You can really feel the Steins;Gate in it.

Man, discussions on this show read like freakin' CIA documents.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like that Ruko figured out Yuzuki's feelings pretty quickly. Bonus points for her apparently not being bothered by it.

I'm still looking forward to Akira getting her ass beat in the game.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
It'd be a crazy twist (tho I'm certainly not expecting it) if one of the scorned girls murdered Akira. Just throwing that out there. Geez, we've even got another girl to go too, looking at the promo material.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Yup, still loving me some Yuzuki lol I'm guessing the card girls vanish when the Selectors fulfill their wish?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, we know cards evolve as the girls win and get closer to their wishes. I imagine the cards will gain something from that evolution, so having their owner fulfilling their wish on their own and not really needing to battle with them anymore would be problematic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Part of me was thinking the opposite, what if spoiler[the owner kind of becomes the card, they lose themselves to what the card is like]. Ruuko could eventually spoiler[become kind of animalistic just wanting to battle].
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
I thought of the possibility of the cards becoming "real" or effecting the real world as part of the whole "not granting your wish, but giving you the power to grant it yourself" twist that sometimes pops up in wish-granting stories.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I suppose this'd be our CHOMP episode?

spoiler[So when you lose your wish gets flipped on its head. Hitoe can now never make friends which sucks big time. I'm glad they didn't go with a typical "you lose you die" senario, though it was the case with that selector that wanted her illness cured.]

I had to pause the episode to go eat dinner, and the whole time I was thinking spoiler["Ruko's gonna win and use her wish to fix everything just like Madoka did."] But then I resumed the episode and right away Ruko spoiler[said she'd do just that, but was quickly shot down by Hanayo. No magical "fix everything" button here.]

And damn it, Akira. Man, I can't wait for next week. spoiler[Common, Ruko, kick some ass!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12