• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Casts Its 1st Film With 2 Female Leads & All-English Theme Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
GATSU wrote:

No, it definitely will be awful, because of Goro. I mean, Ghibli used to be the company Disney looked to for "inspiration". Now because of him, it's borrowing off of Disney's lazy formulas. How the mighty have fallen. .

Goro has nothing to do with this movie, nor is he in charge of the Studio in any way like your post seems to be indicating.

That's exactly what I was thinking. GATSU's hate-boner for Goro Miyazaki has gotten so strong that he needs to assign blame just to fuel it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited tbh, always looking forward to more Ghibli films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I was thinking Totoro as well, but I guess their argument is that Totoro while a Miyazaki film is pre Ghibli; I also think Nausicaa and Princess are also borderline examples as both have primarily a female lead, a female antagonist, and the male seems like a side character in both.

You must be thinking of Nausicaa. Totoro was very much a Ghibli production, having come after Studio Ghibli's official first movie, Laputa.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
When Marnie Was There was published in 2002.

Why is everyone throwing around the year 2002?
The book was first published in 1967. Publisher Harper Collins published an edition of it 2002. (Author died in -88).

Looking forward to this adaptation. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke:
Quote:
Goro has nothing to do with this movie,

Oh, yeah, I forgot. He's doing the tv thing. My bad. Well, if it's Yonebayashi, then I suddenly trust it. I rescind my prior scathing comments. About the film, anyway.

Quote:
nor is he in charge of the Studio in any way like your post seems to be indicating.

He will be, if the shareholders call the shots.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
Really liked Arrietty so I'm totes stoked for this. I'm not familiar with the source material but the story sounds interesting.
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
My theory is that Gatsu is Hayao Miyazaki airing dirty laundry in public

On the film, while it's an interesting title and should be decent, I wonder if any of the 'kid' (despite them being in their forties) directors will ever come up with stories of their own to tell rather than taking adaptations that they're given? Or, failing that, offering up works they themselves would like to adapt? It's possible Yonebayashi decided on this one himself but it seems that, as with Arrietty, his choices have been made for him. Could be wrong, however.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Why is this called the first "animated" film for Ghbli? I thought everything that Ghbli did up until now was animated.
jet_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Why is this called the first "animated" film for Ghbli? I thought everything that Ghbli did up until now was animated.

Context...
Quote:
it is also the first animated title and first Ghibli title for both actresses
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it bad that I liked Goro's films?
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:

You're allowed to like whatever the heck you want so no, it isn't.

And as far as personal opinion goes, I didn't detest Tales of Earthsea. It isn't a perfect movie at all, but for a debut from someone with no prior experience, he did better than most would have. It's a long way off being the worst thing I've ever watched.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:

Despite what some very vocal knee-jerk Goro haters might lead you to believe, From Up on Poppy Hill was very popular (number-one Japanese produced movie of 2011) and well received, so if you were a fan you're amongst good company there.

As for Earthsea, I'm actually a fan of it too, despite it's muddled story. I really enjoy its wonderful art and atmosphere and its incredible soundtrack. It certainly has issues and I can pretty easily say it's Ghibli's worst movie, but as anime fantasy movies go its still pretty far towards the top. It's much better, imo, than Makoto Shinkai's strange attempt at emulating/outright copying the Ghibli style (including quite a few Earthsea-esque moments) in Children Who Chase Lost Voices.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke: Poppy Hill did well, because it was from the "son of Miyazaki", not because it was popular.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
koinosuke: Poppy Hill did well, because it was from the "son of Miyazaki", not because it was popular.

... in what universe does "does really well, but isn't actually popular" make sense?

[disordered language indicates disordered thinking. Exactly what Gatsu's problem is I'm not trained to guess, but that he clearly has one is obvious.]
white_moon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Didn't Whisper of the Heart use Olivia Newton-John's cover and not the original version of Take Me Home, Country Roads?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3