• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saki – The Nationals (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I was distracted by Komaki and Kasumi in bikinis.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
The game is very easy to learn. it's a kid's game, It took me a day to learn it.

It sort of reminds me about the card game "bridge" which my middle class jewish grandparents played in clubs with a passion. The rules were easy enough to learn in 30 minutes. It was all the strategy and postmortems that were mystifying. Things like East bid two spades so I knew the Jack of Clubs had to be with West and then the dealer led with a Heart so the Ace had to be ... and on and on.

If the game takes a day to learn then is a complicated game. The rules of Go can be learned in 10 minutes. The game of chess can be learned in about 40 minutes. Poker: 10 to 40 minutes depending on the mental vitality of the player. Yet all these games are vastly complex to master.

The problem with Saki as a show is that their drama presumes a good working knowledge of all the master-level strategy. Worse, there is no time to examine these miraculous moves in any detail. At most you see the hand of the player making them. You will note the audiences in the show see everything. More than that they have iPad apps that allow them to see the entire recorded history of each player in the circuit. And those characters often need explanations for what is going on! What chance do we have?

Still, I can't say what about this keeps me watching. The mystic powers thing is getting really old. The flashbacks are tiresome. The see-saw horse race is predictable. The no-pantsu thing is kind of fun but rare. This season has even lost the quirky announcer. All I am waiting for is the big showdown between Saki and her snotty sister. Which of course Saki will win. If this were a BD set I would probably end up just skipping to the last two episodes.

When i meant you can learn it on one day, it means you can do all the things that top players do. The rules are very easy to remember. Normally people will tell you the rules or what kind of rules that they want to play before the game start, since different regions have different rule. Chinese mahjong won't have dora, but still play the same.

mahjong is all about Luck, math, probability, and very little strategy. If you have bad starting hand and bad draw, there is nothing you can do. You are forced to play what you have with highest probability of winning or play not lose.

Think play with Koromo(bad draw) and Awai(bad starting hand) in the same table.

It's nothing like Go. Go is all about strategy, strategy, and strategy.

You won't learn anything from Saki because they are not playing real mahjong. Ok, but more like everybody is a cheater in Saki.

kan or Kong is a horrible play when you are winning because you can make other players' hands very big with dora. Saki doesn't give a damn, she will still kan.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
huh... I was just assuming this was going to be a 2-cour season. I only just noticed a new episode wasn't being queued up at CR and then found it was missing from Ani-Chart.

...so the last episode went a week into the next season and ended with a whimper. And no news about OVAs or a return.... sure, it wasn't nearly as fresh as it used to be.... and honestly didn't look like it was heading into any better material. But it's SAKI! I figured it'd be going forward no matter what.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If anyone here wants to learn the game, enjoy:

http://arcturus.su/wiki/Main_Page

Personally, I've watched Season 1 without knowing a thing about the game. However, when I learned the game, then watching the series proved to be even much more enjoyable. That's because you end up learning the true meaning to "tanoshii".

Spotlesseden wrote:
mahjong is all about Luck, math, probability, and very little strategy. If you have bad starting hand and bad draw, there is nothing you can do. You are forced to play what you have with highest probability of winning or play not lose.

Japanese rules allow the element of strategy via discard reading, which enables players to utilize defensive play. In this case, players do their best to minimize point losses, rather than point gains, for that opportunity to strike with just one hand (or more if possible).

But yea, I've hand entire games, let alone entire hands, by which I wasn't able to do anything as far as point generation. That is what separates card games than board games.

If you wish to play me, then you can easily find me here:
http://tenhou.net/0/?L7447

Spotlesseden wrote:
You won't learn anything from Saki because they are not playing real mahjong. Ok, but more like everybody is a cheater in Saki.

Of course not. The entirety of the Sakiverse is fiction. It's just like thinking that anime overall is representative of Japanese culture.

Even so, the entire Saki franchise is based on the personification of different mahjong styles, yaku, tendencies, and emotions. If you encapsulate these various mahjong concepts and personify them in characters, then you have yourself a story. Then put in the element of high school, girls, and a tournament - then you have a money making seller.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
huh... I was just assuming this was going to be a 2-cour season. I only just noticed a new episode wasn't being queued up at CR and then found it was missing from Ani-Chart.

...so the last episode went a week into the next season and ended with a whimper. And no news about OVAs or a return.... sure, it wasn't nearly as fresh as it used to be.... and honestly didn't look like it was heading into any better material. But it's SAKI! I figured it'd be going forward no matter what.

Not enough material.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to give about 1.5 to 2 years for the next series. The manga (that I don't read) is currently at what -- midway through the B semifinal, right in the middle of the 3rd match.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5