• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mekakucity Actors (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
My Bakemonogatari comparison mainly lies in the visual aspect. It's got a lot of the "let's make normal stuff crazy as hell visually" thing going on.

Also the MC looks a ton like Arararagi (that has got to be the wierdest name in an anime I've heard, is that even a real Japanese name?)
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Also the MC looks a ton like Arararagi (that has got to be the wierdest name in an anime I've heard, is that even a real Japanese name?)

Apparently it is, whoah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araragi_(magazine)

Didn't quite expect that either. It's a name of a pre-war literary magazine.

Edit: linking doesn't seem to work, maybe the boards can't read brackets in URLs.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I hear this show is pretty controversial in Japan and has a pretty rude fanbase in general. Is there any reason why if true?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
I hear this show is pretty controversial in Japan and has a pretty rude fanbase in general. Is there any reason why if true?

I don't know about Japanese fans, but the Tumblr fanbase is great. There are spoilers everywhere though.

Maybe arguments broke out over episode 1? The Mekakucity Actors anime has a darker, creepier 'feel' than the music videos and manga / novel where the project's previous fans come from.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Kisaragi is a hopeless airhead.
She was mixing manga with real life too much.
This is a weird episode.
The ending was slightly fun though.
Well, at least now I can say for sure, I'm dropping this.]
Ashurachan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 is out
Things are happening a bit differently from the manga in this one.

And visually speaking, the Ikuhara vibe was _extremely_ strong.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like this episode. The arty style, which really worked well in the first, just made this episode cold and hard to relate to in the second. Changing human characters into music players didn't really bring out Momo's isolation to me, it just made everything seemed inhuman.

I do like that we have a teacher character who is more than just someone who shows up in class that says 'good morning' though. And he has a very sexy voice.

The changes in the OP are pretty cool. The ED is quite nice. I wish the scene when Momo and Hibiya were running from the crowds had bit more 'music video' like, it felt bland after I've watched the Kagerou Project music videos.

I hope the future episodes move on a faster pace. During the past week I've been watching the Kagerou Project music videos which made me used to the idea of a story told in 4 minutes, it's quite a trial to go through really inane conversation, no matter how stylishly presented.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was a disappointment to me, and the second spoiler[ was the same].

The story changed a bit though, but I like how spoiler[Momo's past] being unveiled. I thought when Momo decided to go to entertainment industry she was first spoiler[assigned as a MC for some show, and ended up being popular] not like how it is in the anime. spoiler[I also had no idea that Momo was into painting]

So far the anime is spoiler[too damn boring, I might want to drop it] but I'm interested in the whole Kagerou Project itself.

I greatly enjoyed the insert song and ending song. "Kisaragi Attention" got covered by Haruna Luna and the ending song "days" by IA voice provider, Lia, was a total plus point for this series. Also, I guess Jin did play on the title for the op and ed song "daze" and "days" like how people argued whether it's Kagerou Days or Kagerou Daze.
Also, since we got one song covered, we might expect another song to get covered by renowned artists as well. I really can't wait for that.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
This is already one of the most pretentious anime I've ever tried to watch.
Ashurachan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
While I generally like this sort of arty directing, I don't think it works that well here. The appeal of the original story is kinda that the characters are more or less ordinary teenagers, with more or less normal lives, who just happen to have supernatural powers. Making everything look surreal takes away the 'normal' part of the characters away, makes them more difficult to relate to.
In the first episode, it wasn't that bad, you could more or less attribute the bizarreness to Shintaro's twisted perceptions after two years not setting a foot outside of his bedroom. But the scene with Momo and her teacher should have looked completely ordinary - normal school, normal classroom. The flashbacks didn't bother me as much because they're memories, not the real thing ; but the symbolism was too heavy-handed, having faceless silhouettes would have been sufficient to get the point across.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Unlike everyone else I actually feel this might be SHAFT's best use of style since maybe Bakemonogatari, I have watched most of their artsy stuff and this felt the most relevant with symbolism. At the same time I am not familiar at all with the source material, but I really don't think that is a problem as I think it is often when the directors ignore a bit of what is done elsewhere and take full advantage of what is available with anime that something special can be made. This is Simbo/Shinbo that we are talking about.

In my opinion used in the flashbacks and imagine spots were top notch, people being shown as items to convey the feeling of the person while the shadows revealed their shape. The spoiler[tape recorders to symbolise the idea that it would be the same thing over again but she would be isolated]. The spoiler[manager as a teddy bear with a balloon to convey him as obviously trying appeal to her but coming off as kind of off]. The sad spoiler[girl as artistic looking Gramophone to show the depth and sadness, and probably something she knew herself, but it was played In front of her and just pushed her off the edge]. It could be easy to see the portrayals as dehumanising to the people they were meant to portrayed, but that was not the point, but it was meant to be emotional.

I thought Momo also cane across as an interesting character, her level of air headiness seemed legendary level, but her lack of malicious nature kind of betrayed what you would think from her ability. And I also think that some of her nature is incredibly relevant to some anime in general, maybe even SHAFT. And that was the argument of all style and little substance, as I can think of a few projects that could be accused of this, and made me think a little, some might even accuse this of it.

I am probably in, this pretty high on my list compared to some other SHAFT anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
After seeing so many SHAFT shows the over abundance of symbolism doesn't really faze me anymore. Though I think it's more appropriate here than it is in Nisekoi.

I pay more attention to the characters and story being portrayed, and I like what I see so far. They're still just introducing the characters so we haven't gotten to the meat of it yet.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
After seeing so many SHAFT shows the over abundance of symbolism doesn't really faze me anymore. Though I think it's more appropriate here than it is in Nisekoi.

I pay more attention to the characters and story being portrayed, and I like what I see so far. They're still just introducing the characters so we haven't gotten to the meat of it yet.

Except it's not actually symbolism. Unless of course you consider everything in a show that is intangible and you wonder why it's there "symbolism" then it's just weird SHAFT art style bullshit.

Man I don't get people that enjoy this sort of show and approach to storytelling and direction. Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded, but I'm not see the appeal with anything Shaft has put out since Bakemonogatari save Madoka TV. Where's the art, intrigue, originality and deep symbolism here that people are seeing with every single new iteration of SHAFTgatari? Do people just have incalculably more faith than I do in the intentions of this Shinbo director or do they just not care that his style is basically all just window dressing there to disguise the fact that the show is operating on a curiously low budget with an amateur first time writer that doesn't really seem to know what he's doing or how to tell a story in twelve 24 minute installments. It just feels cheap by anime standards on so many levels and I expect more out of people that are supposed to be front runners and trend setters in the industry. Confused

I don't know I'd rather see more things like Ping Pong catch on. Now that's a show where the writer knows how to tell a story and develop characters in a meaningful way while also finding time to experiment in unexpected ways with the art style and direction choices. SHAFT you just know what you're getting every single time pretty much and it's stale.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It's not all symbolism. Some of it is just style. For instance, I don't think there's any symbolism in Nisekoi's art direction, it's a form of communication. It elicits a certain kind of response from the viewer with much less than a typical show does. Sometimes, a pop of a ribbon can tell you all you need to know, without showing a facial expression.

As for this show, I don't know how much of it is meant to be symbolic, since I don't get the show at all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Except it's not actually symbolism. Unless of course you consider everything in a show that is intangible and you wonder why it's there "symbolism" then it's just weird SHAFT art style bullshit.

Man I don't get people that enjoy this sort of show and approach to storytelling and direction.

Question, do you think that this show should stop trying to do art, and instead just do what the masses want? Because funnily enough that was a big part of this episode. Might be condescending to think it was on purpose, but I feel that it was not quite an accident. There is symbolism if you look at something the right way, and this is why opinions on Kill la Kill were so varied.

The big part of what SHAFT's random changes in scenes is not always just an idea, but an emotion, and it is something that SHAFT very much likes to focus on. In my opinion often these can come across as subconscious, without realising it, but after a while you just look at it all and all becomes just a big mess, which I think is something unfortunate that has happened with Monogatari. I don't think Monogatari had quite effectively been transitioned well over time. Another problem that can pop up is that it can feel very unnecessary, which I think has been a bit of a problem with Nisekoi, as I don't think there were too many interesting emotions to explore, bar one episode in my opinion. Madoka I think has been one of the most effective as they managed to find a really good mix where the arty ideas managed convey their emotions without being too intrusive or at least easily understandable.

I personally get a different feeling from this show, while I found Sasami-san@Ganbaranai to be a little too much of a mess, I think they have so far hit a really good mix here in getting us to understand the characters. It might be just the similar themes of having a hikikomori, but I am feeling there is a similarity between these too, but in my opinion much more coherent. After all these first two have been explorations of two different characters without throwing us in the deep end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6