• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It also means that, for example, there is less concern about the fact that Mako isn't a complex character with some amazing arc. She has a comedic function in KlK and fulfills it quite well. When you understand that KlK is an action-comedy, you don't go around, "geez, I really wish they'd developed Mako more" they way you might if comedy wasn't one of KlK's major genres.

I really wished they developed Nui less - if they weren't going to do anything with her then they should have downplayed her interactions with her two sisters, rivalry/hatred or whatever it was when it mattered. "Sisters". Two women she has no connection to...

Right; Developed less, explained more. Oh right, comedy. Except where it's not and anything involving Nui was a big "not" {More thread puns; It's not easy to give up, is it?}.

Anyway, I'm back because I figured out what was nagging me for the past few episodes- charisma. Why do villains try to take over the world? It's in their blood, it's part of the story, they're crazy and it doesn't really matter. They key point is why do people follow them? Power, glory, greed, call in the rest of the Seven Deadly Sins while you're at it but in this case, Ragyo had a massive organization at her beck and call whom she tricked into being alien food {when using her superior forces to kill would have been... no, no, I won't} so they followed her for power. Dark skinned glasses girl who knew the plan, aloof Nui who did whatever she want, they obeyed because, they obeyed even when out of character because, they obeyed even when they did was completely not in their own interests or desires because...

Because of the wonderful things she does? The implication is they followed out of sheer adulation for her {there were some evidence of "second thoughts" but nothing came out of it} but seeing how what they did spoiler[ ended in their death] {I kept waiting for the final Stinger where spoiler[there was one last Nui around] but I guess I'll have to wait for the OVA} working that far for her approval misses the point of earning approval. "It doesn't have to make sense!" or "Doesn't matter, they're crazy!" won't cut it because 1) They hated each other 2) They're saner than Ragyo and 3) Their removal was integral to ending the series in one episode.

I can deal with animation shortcuts {and hell, this was Shortcuts: The Series; "Masterpiece", I can hear animators in Japan crying from here...} but narrative shortcuts where the villains were made into adoring idiots when they were previously credible threats? The story's supposed to be done before animating, it's not something that can be fixed in post.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Great series, in fact, I almost cried at the end. Best series of this season so far (though, haven't watched that many). Super over the topness to the limit, in fact, in some ways more over the top than Gurren Lagann. I am feeling generous so I would rate it as excellent, specially since it was a series that grabbed me by the throat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xirix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this anime, though.. the version I watched had a line I'd quite like to know the original Japanese for, would anyone be able to help?

Near the end of Episode 14, when Mako is reunited with Ryuuko they have a short conversation, and Mako mentions money. Now the release I watched had her saying something like "You can't spell concentrate without cent", clearly an americanisation in the translation.

What does she actually say? Is it something similar but with Kane being part of another japanese word, a pun? I'm just curious.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac
Villains want to take over the world, because they want the control that would give them. When watching the evening news, don't you wish sometimes you could wave your hand, and solve the problems in the Ukraine or Afghanistan. It really is the same desire.

As to why people follow, even when it is not in their best interest, well you only have to look at history for that. Some people want to be part of something greater than them, others follow charismatic leaders, believing their promises while turning a blind eye to reality. While others want the power and freedom (evil freedom) that evil leaders will give them.

People rarely think of future consequence for their actions, just look at all the stupid murders that take place, where the criminal doesn't even hide their actions.

In some ways Kyubei from PMMM is right about humanity.

Taking over the world is a goal post to infamy, notoriety, and personal control.

So there is nothing inherently wrong (in the logic) that people would follow Ragyo blindly or even not so blindly (in that they personally got something out of it).
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
OVA

spoiler[Sanageyama vs Satsuki!
That guy was attacking like crazy.
Still, he was no match for her.
He was obviously delusional from the start.
The Academy is done for too.
Satsuki was obviously a pale image of herself.
Everyone is moving... leaving that place.
Guess there is not life there without the Academy.
Mako was EPIC for one last time..
Things were peaceful... until the Elite 4 got new life fiber uniforms or their clones did.
Rei, Satsuki's "sister" was the cause of all this mess.
The originals were having trouble dealing with the copies.
Ryuko is awesome when she in fight mode!!
As usual, she saved the day.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
OVA

This highlights my chief gripe about Crunchyroll, although they are not unique in this. Mostly it is a pretty decent service that carries a lot of pretty-good and excellent anime. But any time a series like this has an OVA produced they completely ignore it. So you either don't get to watch it or you have to find an illegal source.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
RIP spoiler[Satsuki]'s spoiler[long hair. Again.]

What a great episode. spoiler[The action, OST, dialogues, choreography, etc. I knew that when Mako's OST came on, she would appear in that Makoish way. Anyways, I think really is the end as I don't see how the show can add more to it. The OVA reminded me how much I miss Kill la Kill.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
OVA

So we never did get spoiler[the academy turning into a giant outfit], well we finally got spoiler[it here], also can't remember if using spoiler[the ship as a weapon was done], as again it was here. Funnily enough after the OP I was thinking that spoiler[she never had a big part, and what do you know she was the major villain] in the OVA.

And another funny part, I was thinking when things were getting bad that spoiler[this is usually where Mako jumps in somehow, helping Ryuko]. And then suddenly the spoiler[big thing stops, I even said it was Mako and fully expected the hallelujah before it happened]. Not saying a bad thing, I love the quirks. Also laughing at Mako apparently spoiler[being caught by cheese], must have been a call back to this.

On another note, I always thought Ryuko absorbed the fibres she beat by it going into Senketsu, but apparently it was into her red stripe of hair.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Since Satsuki cuts her hair in the closing sequence, does that mean the "date" at the end of episode 24 takes place after the events in the OVA?

At his current pace, Gamagoori will graduate from high school about the time he reaches the age of his seiyuu. Too bad we won't see the scene where he and Satsuki introduce themselves as transfer students in their new school. The reactions of the other students would be priceless.

HaruhiToy wrote:
This highlights my chief gripe about Crunchyroll, although they are not unique in this.... But any time a series like this has an OVA produced they completely ignore it.

Why put the onus for this entirely on Crunchyroll? It think it's much more likely that Aniplex wants to preserve the OVA as a BD-only release to boost sales. CR can only show what the production committees allow. I'd bet the OVA falls into a different license than the series, so licensing the latter doesn't give you automatic rights to the former. It seems that was the situation regarding the "Director's Cut" of the final episode of Gatchaman Crowds as well.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
The scissors coming from space bit was too much like NGE. Rolling Eyes They would be conveniently floating in orbit huh?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
The scissors coming from space bit was too much like NGE. Rolling Eyes They would be conveniently floating in orbit huh?

What, you expect sense in the normal world? Surely you came to the conclusion that the series goes by its own rules.

I have done a number posts explaining that each character goes by rules specific to their character trait: Mako goes by rule of funny, she can do ridiculous things as long as its funny. Gamagori is rule of protector, as long as he is protecting someone he can do things.
Sanageyama goes by blood knight traits. Satsuki' pure willpower is what makes her able to do things. And Ryuko works by rule of cool, she wins by being full out awesome.

It sounds like a ridiculous excuse, but just take note of how actually ridiculous things happen. The series is actually entirely full of characters trying to push their own rules. For instance take Rei, her character trait was never a physical fighter, no her villain trait was that she was not actually evil, by blurring what is right and wrong and not the one actually doing anything she was able to be strong.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

What, you expect sense in the normal world? Surely you came to the conclusion that the series goes by its own rules.

I have done a number posts explaining that each character goes by rules specific to their character trait: Mako goes by rule of funny, she can do ridiculous things as long as its funny. Gamagori is rule of protector, as long as he is protecting someone he can do things.
Sanageyama goes by blood knight traits. Satsuki' pure willpower is what makes her able to do things. And Ryuko works by rule of cool, she wins by being full out awesome.

It sounds like a ridiculous excuse, but just take note of how actually ridiculous things happen. The series is actually entirely full of characters trying to push their own rules. For instance take Rei, her character trait was never a physical fighter, no her villain trait was that she was not actually evil, by blurring what is right and wrong and not the one actually doing anything she was able to be strong.

Good points, noted. Of course each series is set in it's own universe with rules independent of all others. This is Kill la Kill we're talking about, strange and absurd were givens from the get go. But 100% fictional works can still be analyzed in an objective manner, if they couldn't this forum would not even exist. Saying ridiculous is as ridiculous does circumvents any rational, intelligent discussion. I just pointed out the similarity between the scissors and the Lance of Longinus because of how obvious it is, they're even the same color.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Why put the onus for this entirely on Crunchyroll? It think it's much more likely that Aniplex wants to preserve the OVA as a BD-only release to boost sales. CR can only show what the production committees allow. I'd bet the OVA falls into a different license than the series, so licensing the latter doesn't give you automatic rights to the former. It seems that was the situation regarding the "Director's Cut" of the final episode of Gatchaman Crowds as well.

It's more like the OVA episodes of Oreimo season 1 and 2 {coincidently from Aniplex} or Bakemonogatari's last three {also Aniplex}. Kill la Kill is possibly not as bad even if it is still something more than a side story bonus episode but I wouldn't cast Crowds alongside it; That has its own issues, such as the half a clip show that was episode 11. I'd say that was unintentional, this {and that and that} is business.

The license is for streaming and usually {this is not always the case; it really depends on what they get} its unedited physical release. Bonus episodes, even ones part of the same physical are neither part of the streaming license or its physical release rider. This is the norm for American distributors.

But in this case, AoA isn't just the licensee, I think they're the licensor as well. Or their Japanese counterpart is. So, can they stream those extra episodes? Seeing how they can be region locked and have a limited release, nothing's stopping them.

Either way, I think this strategy boosts piracy more than sales {well, from my own personal experience} but it probably works in Japan.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
People overreacted to 'Kill la Kill'- Why is it that people lambasted KLK for objectifying women and having rape imagery, but just loves "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" for doing the same thing? The difference between the two is that: 1. KLK is equal opportunity with its fanservice. 2. While the scenes with Ryuko's uniform were unfortunately scripted and animated, the uniform didn't actually rape Ryuko. TMOHS, on the other hand, shows full on-screen girl-on-girl sexual assault.

I'm not trying to justify one anime sin while ripping on another. I'm just pointing out a major double-standard. I can see why the first episode of KLK put a few people off. I'm just pointing out another popular anime that gets less criticism for the same crime.

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
People overreacted to 'Kill la Kill'- Why is it that people lambasted KLK for objectifying women and having rape imagery, but just loves "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" for doing the same thing? The difference between the two is that: 1. KLK is equal opportunity with its fanservice. 2. While the scenes with Ryuko's uniform were unfortunately scripted and animated, the uniform didn't actually rape Ryuko. TMOHS, on the other hand, shows full on-screen girl-on-girl sexual assault.

I'm not trying to justify one anime sin while ripping on another. I'm just pointing out a major double-standard. I can see why the first episode of KLK put a few people off. I'm just pointing out another popular anime that gets less criticism for the same crime.

I agree a thousandfold on the Kill la Kill part. Some people are going to feel uncomfortable with excess nudity, but I don't think the show is sexist at all. In fact, this may be one of the few times where nudity is portrayed not as objectifying, but empowering. Satsuki Kiryuuin is at her most awesome when at her most stripperific, after all. As a further counterargument, I'd use Aikuro "Female Gaze" Mikisugi as a good example of equal-oppurtunity fanservice.

As for Haruhi Suzumiya, I don't think it's so much a double standard as a combination of:

A) The black comedy just not being that funny.
B) Internet feminism not being as big of a thing as it is when the show was popular, and
C) Nobody f*****g caring about Haruhi anymore.

I wouldn't even recommend the anime because, even though I did enjoy it, the whole thing goes nowhere. (Thanks for nothing, Kyoto Animation, *cough*for-ruining-the-anime-and-possibly-the-entire-franchise-because-of-Season-Two's-abysmal-failure.*cough*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 60