• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I like that I can see the different sides and can actually sympathise with the Gilette group, compared to Ixion Saga where I had a hard time I find it good that I can't directly call them bad guys. I am not sure if I can say that our lead is war hungry, but it must suck to lose your career. I think that the main point is that he just does not have a dream, and helping someone who can use his skills is something he can look forward to.

Actually want to know something I am reminded of, it would be the video game Overlord, which pretty much followed after heroes killed an evil overlord, but afterwards all of them fell into sin and caused other problems. So far we have an excessive mansion, and next a forest, which I think both settings from that game where you had to fight the ex-heroes.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
That would sorta work if there were real injustice in society, but everything we've seen till now point that there isn't. I mean the tank even decided not to run over the cart or to fire there gun in densely populated area, so the military seems alright, and the town was living just fine no sign of poverty or anything. From all the info we have, the MC is really just being a huge dick (which I'm fine with, so long as the show stay consistent). Other possibility is that he really want to score point with Chaika, in that case "dude she's like 10, how desperate are you?".

Oh and if were trying to estimate how deadly war was during that time period, look up the spanish flu. Not many people died from actual fighting cause most of them were already dead by the time the fight started.

I agree that the Gillette group seems to be Good Guys, and the same could probably be said for the whole reconstruction organization. However, those guys seem more like an NGO than anything -- not an actual government agency. But as I said, we still haven't seen a lot about how things are in the world, so mainly I'm just speculating at this point. We may find out later that Toru's comments were entirely selfish, or that there he had some valid reasons for his stance beyond mere self-interest.

Also, I think he likes Chaika and wants to help her. That doesn't mean that he has the hots for her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
As best I can tell, apart from the magic, the technology seems to be late pre industrial. War would not involve the death of millions, WWI style. A major battle would involve a couple hundred causalities most of whom would be professional soldiers.

As late as the 1700s war was an honorable profession. It did not potentially involve the end of the world. If you were not in the area actually being fought over, it usually wasn't a problem.

I'm not suggesting that it was a good thing. Regardless of the period war had it's horrors. But a character who is in favor of a new war is not as horrible as they seem to modern ears.

The problem is that we do not know what "war" means in the world of the show. Chaika's father has been referred to as basically a demon lord who lived for 500 years. Based on that, it sounds like bringing him back to life probably isn't the greatest idea and probably means some hardship for non-soldiers. Plus, the concept of "total war" is a relatively new human innovation, but the pre-industrial Thirty Years War showed that the occasional brouhaha didn't just affect professional soldiers.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
Actually I was thinking of the Thirty Years War. One of my college professors pointed out that villages as little as 15 miles from the battles were unaffected by the passage of the armies. He used it to show how people tried to maintain "life as usual" in the face of adversity.

As far as the "Demon Lord" business, I think any ruler that lasted 500 years would be hated no matter how benign. It is amazing how many people can get pissed at laws intended to help society as a whole.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, your professor had so many more and better examples to choose from in order to illuminate that principal. I wonder why he would choose a conflict that actually had way more collateral damage than most.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
Because it had more collateral damage than most. He pointed out that the common perception was that the Thirty Years War completely devastated central Europe but that actual documents from the period show that to be limited. Of course this was a time when most food was grown locally so the disruption of commerce only hurt luxuries.

He also discussed how what is now England tried to retain Roman customs after the legions left (until the Scots came over the wall). He said that the ruler that is known to history as King Arthur probably wore a toga and tried to sustain Roman type civilization.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that we might not really know that Gax was evil, it could have been that everything said about him was propaganda to move people into war who wanted more power for themselves. The war and conflict could have been instruments of the people that "won", maybe atrocities only happened because they started a war?
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was thinking that we might not really know that Gax was evil, it could have been that everything said about him was propaganda to move people into war who wanted more power for themselves. The war and conflict could have been instruments of the people that "won", maybe atrocities only happened because they started a war?

That could be pretty cool, but it'd be really hard to pull off in a way that was somewhat realistic. If he really lived for 500 year it would be really hard to convince the entire world that he was evil, so the show would probably resort to "magic did it" which I always find is a cop out.

Still wouldn't change what the protagonist said, unless he somehow know that Gax was good and that's why he's so unmotivated. Could be kinda cool, but would need excellent writing to pull it off.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Gax may not necessarily have been Good, but he still could have been a stablizing force, and he also might not have been bad, either. Still not enough historical info from an objective source to make any solid determinations. We can't even be sure what is really behind Chaika's intent to have a funeral for her father -- I do believe what she said, but I'm sure that there's more to it than that, even if she herself isn't aware of it.

The next couple of episodes ought to paint in the picture some, but the information from the "heroes" that downed Gax is probably self-serving, and the Gillette group seems too young to have much direct experience of what life under Gax was actually like.

I do like the uncertainty, though, it makes the story seem more realistic internally... people with different motives based on what they believe to be true, some people with real knoweldge, but most relying on what others tell them. Should make for a pretty fun series, plotwise.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The second episode was a massive improvement over the first. No more spectacle - i.e. exploding unicorns - and less talking by Chaika. No, no matter how much I watch this show I don't think I will ever get used to her speaking pattern. It is awful and I feel fairly confident that it was only put in the show to increase her moe appeal. ("Awwwww, poor little thing, you can't even speak properly! Here let me help you...")

Also, brother/sister saboteurs were shown to be competent in this episode, which contrasted sharply with their incompetence in episode 1. We even got some glimpse into their motivations for following Chaika, which is good. They are much better characters in episode 2.

The fight scenes were pretty great. You could tell that a lot of skill and effort was put into making them flow naturally, even as MC was making all kinds of cool moves with his weapons and utility wire thingy.

The biggest thing that still beguiles me about the action component of this show is Chiaka's choice of weapon. It seems excessively impractical to the point of almost being comical when she is putting that thing together just to use one of its varied magic effects. I feel like that was done purely for the purpose of showing another cutesy moe girl with some kind of massive weapon, since that's apparently the cool fad these days. It worked in Darker than Black. It doesn't work here in my opinion.

As for MC being happy about bringing back the war, yea I do agree with people who say that makes him look like a douche. I am intrigued though by the idea of making our heroes the "bad guys," so to speak. It's not new, but it is certainly not very common, and if done well can make for some very cool characters. Sebastian from Black Butler is the first good example that comes to mind. I wonder how much the show will play that up, or if it will it turn out that the idea was only thrown out there in this episode for a bit of flavor. I certainly hope it gets played up more, and I think they could get maximum intrigue from that idea if a "good guy" type character was introduced into their group at some point to create moral conflicts.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
No, no matter how much I watch this show I don't think I will ever get used to her speaking pattern. It is awful and I feel fairly confident that it was only put in the show to increase her moe appeal. ("Awwwww, poor little thing, you can't even speak properly! Here let me help you...")

It's pretty much the only way they could transition it to an anime. Though I don't deny that the initial purpose for it in the books is moe factor. I do give them points for not giving her gaijin slang in the anime. That's always only good for comedy.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Also, brother/sister saboteurs were shown to be competent in this episode, which contrasted sharply with their incompetence in episode 1.

Uh, sorry? While things don't go as smooth as they wanted it to be, I found the siblings have been quite competent ever since the 1st episode. They have their flaws, sure. But definitely not incompetent. Killing that ass-kicking unicorn requires a certain level of teamwork. And I think Toru does a good job buying her some time to prepare her magical anti-materiel rifle (without getting killed in the process). It's even cooler considering that it's his first time partnering with Chaika. How well could you cooperate with someone you haven't met before in such life-threatening situation?

Also, the trio successfully made their way into their target all stealth. The only problem is that the noble already expects "someone" is after his treasure due to what happened that morning/afternoon.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
It's gonna be interesting to see how they'd emulate Chaika's way of speaking in English (should it ever be licensed) Confused

Also... Man, that's one badass unicorn! And... how often do you see unicorn exploding? Very Happy

Shouldn't be hard. Focus! Few words. Anticipation! Easier in English.

Unicorn... undead. Then dead. Known weapon?

Like episode. Siblings... not biological. Military? Anticipation!

Ah, yes. That is correct. However, the way I see it... Depending on the delivery, I'm afraid her resulting speeches would come off as either "annoying" or "very annoying" rather than "sounds foreign", let alone "cute". Already 2nd episode, and still I'm unable to get used to it.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if I would call them competent,spoiler[ they got caught by the duke almost the moment they stepped foot inside the mansion]. Then there entire plan relied on him:

1) Pursuing the brother despite having much more of a reason spoiler[to pursue Chaika].

2) Walking extremely slowly (but still pursuing him) so has to let him prepare trap in advance.

They essentially got extremely lucky the duke is very dumb, and as a weird sense of priority.

I guess he's good at one on one fighting, like we saw later, but sneaking and making plan, not there strong point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I dunno if I would call them competent,spoiler[ they got caught by the duke almost the moment they stepped foot inside the mansion]. Then there entire plan relied on him:

The guy turned out to use the remains of a powerful magic person so that the entire mansion became his body which most likely gave him a supernatural ability to know when someone was trespassing. They were competent, but the guy would know when they entered in no fault of their own, at least guards did not come and so they just had one guy who was overconfident.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The guy turned out to use the remains of a powerful magic person so that the entire mansion became his body
I thought that too. I thought it was covered, actually. Their stealth op was doomed from the get-go, but they couldn't have known that. But if you consider their successes-
-Successful wide area recon without detection
-Prepping for the mission.
-Compensating on the fly for the sudden addition of a coffin to their workload.
-Rooftop infiltration for 2 people plus a freakin coffin with a girl and magic anti-material rifle inside.
-Taking out necessary guards (seemingly not lethal) without detection.
-Crossing width of courtyard... with a coffin. Still not detected.
-Breaking in and getting the coffin/girl/gun combo in while still not alerting any guards. The only one who knew was one of the great warriors of yore who's magically attuned to his mansion and was already expecting thieves.
-Fend off attacks from an enchanted mansion filled with swords. Seriously, look at that place again. They're everywhere.

Honestly, I'd be amazed if Big Boss could pull that off so easily. If they managed that with absolutely no problems I would've put a point against the series on my "to drop" list.

Explaining the duke's battle tactic makes more sense if you rewatch around the 15 min mark os ep1. Apart from overconfidence they specify that he didn't seem skilled at close combat. It's also possible that he had to concentrate on his telekeneisis so that explains his Jason Voorhees speed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23