• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, getchman, now I'm more confused than ever. Anime dazed

But, yeah, there's no need for people to nest their quotes more than one or two deep.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
@BloodyPi: Thanks for the review. You got me interested enough to check it out, and it's quite different from the impression the promo shot of 7 young girls in loli-witch garb gives. Not only are there male characters, but even adults! I rather liked the first episode, though I'm still not clear if Escha actually has a tail or if it's just a mood-reflecting accessory. Smile

I'd give it a solid 3.5 too.
Otaku Sakamoto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
On the other hand addressing what I said above, I've always kind of had a soft spot for card battle anime and that mainly owes to them just being kind of good old fashioned unabashed fun. Having a show that tries to make the card game thing depressing, cynical, dark, and symbolic or whatever (something I'm starting to feel is a little played out in anime lately and this is coming from someone whose favorite franchise is Gundam) while a unique framing device may actually serve to undermine what is supposed to be the point of table top games in the first place which is that they're harmless albeit competitive fun that's meant to be shared with friends.

It's been kind of a dark time in my life lately with family members dying and/or being sick over the course of winter so I'm just really not sure I'm in the mood lately for something depressing and trivially so which is kind of how I'm starting to find a lot of popular late night anime of late. It's also part of the reason that Gundam Build Fighters had been such an important show for me the last 5 months as it really helped just being able to start the work week on a positive note with those episodes that were always so feel good and straight up enjoyable to watch. I feel like anime is going in a direction where I'm kind of going to end up missing that good natured simplicity before long.
after reading this and several other comments i started wondering what is the industry thinking there are lot of anime s now days that are more about which character dies next or which person fights who they have a lot of violent ones like clay-more and certain elements btooom even naruto shippuden but im not trying to discredit this shows they all have certain aspects which make them good to watch but id rather more shows like duel monster used to a fun to watch show with the good old classic card games and stuff it just seems like the industry is just moving on and recycling the same old kill or be killed anime again and again i mean look at log horizon its to similar to sword art online great anime yes but log horizon feels unfinished there are too many animes unfinished too many loose ends it would be better to fix them then to just produce the same stuff over and over start with the classics and work your way through it would improve so many things id like to state that this is just my opion and i agrre with what Kaioshin_Sama is saying ps Kaioshin_Sama you have my condolences about your recent trouble -
sincerely Otaku sakamoto ps sorry about the grammar
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
My job is being a huge pile of shit, so I take this as a pat on the back.

What a wonderfully concise yet evocative description of the job of an editor. You obviously have some writing chops as well.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm following Kanojo ga Flag. It gets to the point quick. I like the flag concept and like the harem aspect, especially when it's in a run down 2 story instead of some fantasy dojo. p 1 end leaves some major questions.

Great job picking up Daimidaler, Funimation. I definitely want to hear the dub for this craziness. This is what we used to collect back in the day. Culture shock value. Most of the forum users here just hate the fact that this type of show still exist and that Japan will never stop making it. Which is strange considering what everyone else is watching. This kind of shock is what lures the curious new fans to the gate before being eased into the rest of the BS.

Brynhildr was good. They didn't leave us with much. They aren't afraid to show terror on the characters faces. Didn't seem like the show would go there. I want more main characters confronting main characters during their classroom introductions. Catching the rumor mill on fire.

I'm following No game no life. It is hilarious. Stereotypes all around, you imagine having a sister like that? Show has great camera angles it's presented well enough. I've had that many monitors like that at one point.

I'm still working my way through the rest. I also like that there are a few dark skinned girls this season like Captain Earth and Nanana.

Coffin Girl and Black bullet were boring but good. Doesn't make sense who would agree to fund these themes but I'm glad it doesn't really.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Sakamoto wrote:
but log horizon feels unfinished

Because it is unfinished. Second season confirmed, this fall if I'm not mistaken.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Mekaku City Actors was fun. I love the hell out of Shimbo wackiness and it appears to deliver in spades. Should be a fun ride.

Also, it is, right now, Bakemonogatari except with yaoi-shipping ability, which is always fun. That dude who was with Shintaro in the hostage situation (don't think they gave his name) is really hot...I wanna ship him with the MC~
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Probably gonna be last post but better late than never:
-Selector WIXOSS Not bad. entertaining, and a nice dark vibe. Animation and music are great too. Wish they'd explain how the card game works, but i'll keep watching just to learn about all this.
-Akuma Good, not great. Nice animation, also nice dark vibe. Kinda reminds me of Mirai Nikki or The Tournament. Hopefully they start fighting soon.
-Brynhilder One of the shows i was most anticipating, and I'm glad it hasn't let me down. Its funny, and at the same time has some really disturbing stuff. The animation's great (I really like Kuroneko's design, and also the weird way the rings of their eyes look), and its from the guy who did Elfen Lied, so thats cool. Oh and the dubstep opening is sooooo badass.
-Black Bullet First episode was really entertaining. Reminds me of most other shonen action series like Railgun, Tokyo Ravens, and Machine Doll, but the fact that they aren't afraid to show gore and disturbing transformations is a cool touch. Besides, I love fripside. Not expecting anything great, but it looks like good entertainment.
-No Game No Life I found this episode surprisingly entertaining. The colorful animation was cool and there were some amusing scenes. It was also interesting that despite the fanservice, the bro/sis stuff didn't really stick out as overtly sexual. Definitely continuing.
-Chaika Also really entertaining, fast paced first episode. That said, it also felt really rushed. Animation wasn't bad, although I'm not a real big fan of Bones anime. Chaika's eyebrows creep me out, although I actually like her weird speech patterns. Oh, and the unicorn fight scene was pretty damn awesome.
-Date a Live My other anticipated show. Liked the first season, so I enjoyed this episode quiet a bit. I agree that the first season's first episode was pretty bad, but i have to take issue with Theron's assessment that the series had low technical merits. The first season looked great and the animation, especially for the fights, was excellent. That said, the art this season looks a bit sloppier, but that's probably due to this being produced by a different, all new animation studio.

That's all I'm watching. Was gonna check out Mahouka, cause I love the character designs, but since Aniplex has it, I think I'll pass.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
@kevinx59
For Selector Infected WIXOSS, one of the fansub groups has the card game rules translated and posted on their site.

-

Looking to watch the above, Kanojo ga Flag, Brynhildr, No Game No Life, and Coffin Girl; though still have to finish a lot of last season's stuff too.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
@Tars cool. Know which one? Im rather curious.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
@Tars cool. Know which one? Im rather curious.

You can use MAL to find the groups, don't think ANN would appreciate me using fansub group names on their site.
kamui85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
mekaku city felt like a rip-off, of bakemonogatari series, as the reviewer said, the creator copy himslef.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
1. Thanks to everyone who have replied to my search for new shonen shows full of excitement, magic and wonder. As Magi and Toriko have ended, I needed this advice.

2. Completely agree that ANN previewers did an amazing job with watching and picking apart so many new anime. I would not feel so bad for them if the quality of projects would excite them more than just few times from dozens of titles produced, but with covering nearly everything that is made you could only get industry-average quality -- which is obviously can be only average. Painful, hard work experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 50 of 50