• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon's April 27 Live-Streamed Event to Unveil New Anime Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm praying the original cast reprises their roles.

I don't really care if they do because it's not going to be like the original series. This one will be closer to the manga, and the character's personalities often differ wildly between the anime/manga so new voice actors wouldn't really bother me. In fact I might prefer it just because of the fact it'll be unrelated to the original anime.

The whole ageism discussion is dumb. Usagi's seiyuu was a newcomer in her early 20s when the show first came out so it's not like they cast some veteran 50 year old woman as these teenage characters back in the 90s either. Complaining about young newcomers would mean you wouldn't have Kotono Mitsuishi voicing Usagi to begin with which means you couldn't be defending her now 21 years later.
ZackDeMars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Hot TOPIC

I repeat myself constantly but Sailor Moon is an odd little show
I think the universe revolving around is as timeless as boundless lol, I have the weakness to think that the cast of inner senshis will come back. The convention which was set in 2009 involving the main cast make me think that they won't be leave behind .

You cannot replace Masako Nozawa as Goku .. Well, same pattern for Koto-chan as Sailor Moon !! She would never give it away, I promise you (^ω^)

But I do figure that having a cast made of Hirano, Hanazawa, Ogura, Aoi Yuki or Kitamura ... Anyone to make a Buzz but it would lose its flavour

Former cast in 2009, Beautiful as ever why not in 2013 LOL ?
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Iconic characters sometimes change their voice actors. How many voice actors Kenshiro had since Akira Kamiya? And then there's Jotaro. Juurouta Kosugi still able to make his Jotaro's voice (though, to be honest, he didn't sound like 17-years old even back then). Everyone in Hunter x Hunter got recasted. The list can go on.
Probably everyone will be recasted in this remake (it saddens me, but it can't be helped). But I hope for someone not terribly overused, llike Hanazawa.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm praying the original cast reprises their roles.

I don't really care if they do because it's not going to be like the original series. This one will be closer to the manga, and the character's personalities often differ wildly between the anime/manga so new voice actors wouldn't really bother me. In fact I might prefer it just because of the fact it'll be unrelated to the original anime.

The whole ageism discussion is dumb. Usagi's seiyuu was a newcomer in her early 20s when the show first came out so it's not like they cast some veteran 50 year old woman as these teenage characters back in the 90s either. Complaining about young newcomers would mean you wouldn't have Kotono Mitsuishi voicing Usagi to begin with which means you couldn't be defending her now 21 years later.

Yeah, I agree with the first part. For example: Rei/Mars is a completely different character in the manga. In the anime, she's portrayed as short-tempered, and sometimes valley girl-ish and immature (which the English dub made these even worse). In the manga, she was more like Neptune.

Though, I think Kotono would be more than suitable enough to do Usagi's voice again if she returned. She's already proven that she can perform the voice exactly the same with her recordings for the Figuarts advertisments and Proplica Moon Stick. I could probably even bet money on more of the original's the come back if they were asked. In interviews, they always speak on how their involvement with Sailor Moon has changed their lives and how special it was for them. Out of the main 10, the only seiyuu I think has the slimmest chance of coming back is probably Pluto's, and maybe Saturn's with all the stuff that's going on with her. Everyone else, even those who are retired, I can still see coming back. Though, I'm not holding my breath because it does still seem unlikely. But I'm fine for a new cast, as long as the voices a true to character.

And I think one would have to be involved deeply in the Sailor Moon fandom to understand why people hold the original cast with such a high regard. It's not nostalgia, or not wanting to accept change or anything; a lot of people who were involved in the franchise, the musicals especially, are still thought of and held with that same regard because of the genuine love and energy the brought which made everything more special. It's hard to explain.

Last edited by #810558 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm assuming you've never heard of Nana Mizuki, who happens to be [url=/wiki/Nana_Mizuki#Anime_TV_series]one of the most prolific seiyuu over the past 16 years[/url]?

Hey 'cmon, 34 ain't exactly old Laughing But I'm not sure why you're telling me this. Never said older seiyuu shouldn't work, just we shouldn't be slaves to them and throw away newblood.

Crystal wrote:
I don't see how "they put out CDs and photo books" is a good excuse for the ageism. It's not really the CORE (heart?) of being a voice actor.

A voice actor's job is to breath life into the characters and make good presentations. Singing is a part of that, especially in an anime with music as a central theme. Same reason we know the Sailor Moon girls' clothing sizes, favorite foods, astral signs, birthdates, turn ons and turn offs, and other seemingly useless information Wink It's all about fleshing them out and making them seem more than fictional characters. Being able to hear them sing character songs and be more than just a character on a show helps that

Quote:
I'm saying why should the roles be DOMINATED by new voice actors, and the *youngest* ones at that. Compared to cartoon voice acting, Japanese voice acting seems really uneven to me when the average age of a working voice actor is probably like, 23.7

Maybe you should ask yourself 'why should they be dominated by old voice actors? Kinda sounds like you just hate young voice actors because they're young to me. Isn't that "ageist" as well? Laughing

And you keep comparing cartoons to anime but you really can't. They're entirely different mediums with different quality mindsets. Voice acting may not be the top prestige in Japan, but at least they get more respect than they do here. They can actually get roles in theatrical animation for one, where here it seems top priority goes to Hollywood stars who's name can fill adult seats. Despite you hyping her up so much, you don't exactly see Tara Strong starring in Disney or Pixar movies do you? Voice actors get the short end of the stick when some Hollywood actor with zero voice acting experience can waltz right in and get a lead role.

Quote:
"bad" voice actors don't get a lot of work, otherwise why would they?

It's not about being good or bad, it's just overexposure. I see lots of people complain about Funimation reusing the same voice actors in their dubs. It's a problem with video games as well. If I turn on my next RPG and hear Laura Bailey voicing yet another female party member I might scream Wink I have nothing against her but she does seem to be in every other RPG I play and it can get a bit annoying when it gives the impression the same 10-20 people are doing everything out there.

Quote:
They also reuse voice actors in Japan . . . until they turn 25-30. And when I watch anime in Japanese, the voices DO sound like voices I've heard before in other Japanese anime, even when they're not played by the same actors.

So now we're blaming voice actors when they're not even in the show? Laughing Hardly fair there man. Voices are much less reused in Japan because they have a much larger pool to draw from and hundreds of shows a year to be in.

Lavnovice9 beings up a good point though. Sailor Moon's seiyuu was a newcomer when she got the role, so what, would you have complained back then? Laughing
ZackDeMars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Lavnovice9 beings up a good point though. Sailor Moon's seiyuu was a newcomer when she got the role, so what, would you have complained back then? Laughing

Maybe because Sailor Moon itself ( the show ) was new to this world at that time too !!!?
Both Kotono & Usagi grew together and got famous simultaneously so I don't think it is that relevant ..But I understand your point !!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
firedragon54378 wrote:
I still wont belive it tell the first episode airs

I won't believe this post until you learn proper spelling and grammar, buddy.
elior1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
tomorow is the big moment that we will learn who is the main cast and how the character will look in the anime
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I think it's today in Japan right? Very Happy

So nervous.
ZackDeMars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
OMG I am so shaking right now. I really hope Besides the casting unveiled that WE will have à PV of the new anime, but i have to admit that i dont care about the new musical though ..
Korb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
I think it's today in Japan right? Very Happy

So nervous.

4pm Japan time
7am UTC
3am east coast US
Midnight west coast US

Just a little over 4 hours from now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SetsunaMin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi there...first time posting...very interested in the casting announcement (although I'm not familiar with any Japanese voice actors, so I guess I'm kind of a noob...)

Anyways! I was looking into the live streaming; does anyone know if the live stream is free? I was looking at the website linked, the one at Niconico, and it looks like you have to pay for a premium membership to watch the stream? Anyone with experience about this site that can clear it up?

Thanks!

Edit:

Google translate says the bottom of this page:http://sailormoon-official.com/information/post_110.php
reads...

"[ " Sailor Moon 20th Anniversary special stage project " Channel Page Nico Nico live broadcast ]
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv176156347
※ The viewing , membership registration of Nico Nico Douga ( free) is required ."

so that seems rather favorable...
elior1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
Voice cast revealed for the five mains!

Usagi - Kotono Mitsuishi
Ami - Hisako Kanemoto (according to other twitter users)
Rei - Rina Satou
Makoto - Ami Koshimizu
Minako - Shizuka Itou

I couldn't get Ami's name, sadly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3