• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Your description of the fight is objectively false. It's like calling a black car a yellow one. If you don't like the fight scenes that's one thing. That would be a subjective difference. Your description is false. The fights are not "skipped over stills" that finished offscreen. That is objectively incorrect and patently false.

Maybe your cable line was messing so the broadcast was constantly freezing or something.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Your description of the fight is objectively false. It's like calling a black car a yellow one. If you don't like the fight scenes that's one thing. That would be a subjective difference. Your description is false. The fights are not "skipped over stills" that finished offscreen. That is objectively incorrect and patently false.

Maybe your cable line was messing so the broadcast was constantly freezing or something.

Sorry but no, it wasn't like that at all. There are a few fights/action scenes that were longer then 30 seconds and weren't filled with stills/posing, but not nearly as many as you seem to want me to think. And sadly most of those were with minor monsters.

spoiler[Case in point, the fight with Evil Santa back in Ep 3, I believe, was all done off screen when it should have been something animated. The fight with Gleam eyes was like something out of DBZ as soon as Kirito revealed he could dual wield. The Skull thing? Another let down that was over by the time the next episode started with little of the actual battle shown. Probably the best fight was the first one between Kirito and Heathcliff. Other then that we saw them focus more on Kirito killing random lizardmen then we did key moments.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I've always heard it said that the FCC only applies to broadcast networks and not cable. Cable only obeys as a general following of American taste. Notice that Comedy Central, FX, and Adult Swim have been getting more lax in the use of certain profanities and nudities, without any major shift in FCC policy. Adult Swim could go completely uncensored and f-bomb left and right tonight if they wanted, but people would complain, especially with it still being on Cartoon Network, and that would be the end of that. It's just that Adult Swim has only been pushing its acceptable boundaries in the past six months or so.

Well i didn't say that. i am just repeating what some VA have said during their anime panels as well as some well known anime VA that also premiered on some CN cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
apbt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
ShinRPGamer wrote:
You know I can't really get hyped for this when us Canadians don't have Toonami and Anime on TV has become a rarity to begin with over her.

But you have hockey! Go Avs! And Don Cherry!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
spoiler[Case in point, the fight with Evil Santa back in Ep 3, I believe, was all done off screen when it should have been something animated. The fight with Gleam eyes was like something out of DBZ as soon as Kirito revealed he could dual wield. The Skull thing? Another let down that was over by the time the next episode started with little of the actual battle shown. Probably the best fight was the first one between Kirito and Heathcliff. Other then that we saw them focus more on Kirito killing random lizardmen then we did key moments.]

Except for the Evil Santa, this is largely incorrect, and you're totally ignoring the Kobold Lord fight in ep 2 (or spoiler[the reaper in ep 11?] because they do not fit neatly into your description. Heck, almost none of the fights in the second arc fit your description, either. What you're claiming is the exception, not the rule, for SAO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Manz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, it appears that since AoT will be the first show on the block, we don't have to worry about the opening being shortened, which is nice. I do wish Toonami would show the Next Episode Previews for shows besides Black Lagoon and Space Dandy (EDIT: I can't believe I forgot that one, haha), but oh well. I've honestly been hearing a lot about this show, and I'm not even really all that into anime, so I'm definitely interested in checking it out.

And to think that the first place I ever heard of it was in this gameplay and commentary done by Cr1TiKaL on the game. Laughing

Also, I was wondering what show would be dropped when I saw a lot of the shows pushed back half an hour; I guess IGPX made the most sense.

Last edited by Jonny Manz on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Well i liked IGPX. it was definitely interesting enough though would have been better if it had just remained a 13 ep series instead. especially considering that big o II did a lot better.

either way , it will be a testament to see if the edits would be as severe. though it definitely would have a lot less of a headache if they did get the same broadcast rights as IFC , then they would be able to show AOT without fear of getting fined by the FCC or get crucified by those kid friendly advocates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
either way , it will be a testament to see if the edits would be as severe. though it definitely would have a lot less of a headache if they did get the same broadcast rights as IFC , then they would be able to show AOT without fear of getting fined by the FCC or get crucified by those kid friendly advocates.

With all due respect, I don't think you know Adult Swim's standards and practices as much as you think you do. I really think you just don't know.
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

People like you had Moribito air...and subsequently be the biggest bomb on the block ever.

That's not true. Moribito was supposed to air on Toonami in the first place, but then Stuart Jerkoff canceled the block leaving Moribito no choice but to air on Adult Swim Action. It had nothing to do with fans demanding it be on Adult Swim.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I do wish I could get Cartoon Network. I've been meaning to re-watch Attack on Titan and trying out the dub would be a good way to do that. Oh well, I do plan to buy the DVD/BR release, so I'll see it eventually. And this is definitely good to see happening, since the show has a lot of potential to reach anime fans and non-anime fans alike.

Yeah, it's great to see them get another huge gateway show like this that can hopefully pull in more future anime fans by getting them into this.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

With all due respect, I don't think you know Adult Swim's standards and practices as much as you think you do. I really think you just don't know.

I never said i know everything on their standards and practices.

i am only stating from what some VA have told me when they host their VA panels.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
@ jr0904:

Then you probably need a proper source to confirm your answer as to how the show will be treated on Adult Swim. Hearing from a voice actor who, whether or not he/she was involved with the dub, has little-to-nothing to do with handling the show being broadcasted on basic cable TV (which is done by a different team of people) may not likely provide the best information regarding how Attack on Titan will be treated on Adult Swim.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
but its not just some of the VA but some of the exces like sam register who usually attends some of these panels when announcing new series on CN. though he didn't state what i said before , however he did say anything related to the content on AS does go through their standard and practices committee but its the FCC that have the final say. at least that is what he said during that panel when CN was announcing the return of Toonami last year.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
but its not just some of the VA but some of the exces like sam register who usually attends some of these panels when announcing new series on CN.

Yes, on CN. NOT Adult Swim (and yes, they're separate networks. I'm highly uninterested to hear whether you think they're the exact same network). You want proper confirmation on their standards and practices and how they handle shows they acquire for broadcast, you go to someone who currently has a job position at specifically Adult Swim.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
What edits are there to be worried about? Language isn't going to be a big issue unless they did a lot of ad-libbing when dubbing the show. Some of the violence/gore might be an issue but not a major one, seeing how they currently have Black Lagoon and did air Deadman Wonderland; neither of which had really serious edits, by that I mean comparing the broadcast edits to what you may have seen on Funimation's simulcast of Attack on Titan, Blood-C and many other shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9