• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan; Limited or Standard edition?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Shirow Otaku wrote:
So, what's the rest of the community thinking:
Which edition are you going to buy?
I've already pre-ordered the LE from TRSI.

How much of a factor is money when it comes to anime?
it can be a big factor if and when I decide to go all out on a title because that number can reach into the high hundreds, but...

This really depends on the particular title. If I think it's a show/movie/ova/whatever it is, that will look good in blu then I will try to buy it in that format. If not, then a lower cost, no frills bare bones dvd version is more than fine.

That said I will buy VHS if that's all that I can manage to find for it at the time.

Now If I happen to think and feel that it will be worth it to me (emphasis on me only there) then I will pay the going rate for what I think is the best version available (and these prices can get rather high if you are buying the Japanese releases) without regard to region encoding. So in that very specific sense, price is not a factor. I also work my ass off to make sure that it isn't or ever will be.

What about when you are a huge fan?
when I'm a huge fan of a certain title I tend to get all of the releases that I want for it (even if it takes years to complete). That and any number of things related to it, like the T-shirt(s), anything of it in print, music for it, any figure(s) if possible, just something that reminds me of the show/my viewing experience with the characters/story. I get pretty OCD that way and its pretty pathetic, but it is what it is. If I enjoyed it enough to want to re watch it, I'm gonna support it a little more than others that didn't have that same effect. And I'll have a lot a fun doing so!

How big a fan of AoT are you?
I started with collecting the comics, was enjoying the hell out of it, then saw a preview of the animated version.
Prior to that clip (the one here at ANN) I really didn't think it would get animated, at least not so soon. On paper it looked like it would be an expensive one to animate (let's face it, most anime are rife with animation shortcuts (pans,stills, etc.,), are barely animated, and or filled with cringeworthy movement when they are. They're your basic low budget fare from jump. And you know what? I'm okay with that. Have been since 2000. They still manage to tell a story, express an atmosphere, and bring some great characters to life, all the while providing for some great entertainment despite the actual expense involved.

So once I caught a glimpse of how they were trying to express AoT with the color and movement, I really wanted to see the rest. And that I did. I enjoyed it immensely as it was airing (on CR), with its warts and all (apparently the disc version will be cleaned up and or edited without the pressure of having to meet the weekly episode production as it aired).

I bought a physical release of it to further support the artists. At this point I don't even know if I'll ever view it again in its entirety. But I do know for that season I looked forward to seeing every episode and it was cool. So thank you makers of AoT.

Since it has "blown up" and received the almighty "hit" status I'm willing to bet that it gets a bigger budget version somewhere down the line. A redux if you will. Much the way they did FMA, Hellsing, etc., I look forward to that. Until then...

How extensive is your anime collection in terms LE's like AoT?
I've only been buying "LE" since the Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop dvd days so there are quite a few in there. Basically if it's a release that has extras of some sort that's the one I want. My favorite extras tend to be the live action interviews with the voice actors and or directors. Second would be any music included, location scouting type filming, production drawings, studio walk thru's, and of course any printed extras like a booklet or storyboard book.

Once upon a time FUNI used to spend some $ on their LE's (Basilisk anyone?). But apparently no one else did to make it worth their while to continue doing so? So those are basically history. History that's still on my shelf even though my tastes and viewing habits have changed considerably since I first bought them.

If there was anything that would make your purchase decision differ, what would it be?
To state the obvious, the price. I'd actually like to buy a S.A.V.E. edition of AoT right now. I could lend it out and not be concerned about ever having it returned.
Shirow Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
There's actually 3 versions:
1. The Collector's version that you can only get on Funimation's website.
2. The Limited Edition version that you can pick up at retailers like Amazon, RightStuf, etc.
3. The Standard Edition version which you can pick up at retailers.

Thanks for that, I only did minor research on the editions.

...Definitely NOT going to purchase the Collectors Edition though. These stuffed box sets (with a hefty price to match) have silly extras that I would most likely never utilize. OST's and interviews...that's what I want!
Shirow Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

5. I'm an anime collector with over 900 titles. I have a whole bunch of limited edition swag like that and some imports from other regions too. Even some of the most pricey purchases like the Garden of Sinners BD set.

6. If I had more shelf space to waste I would definitely go for the LE but I don't. Instead I have to sell stuff and/or make the best use of such space by buying more compact things.

That's very impressive. I wish I could say I had no room for more titles Anime smile.
Shirow Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:

I've only been buying "LE" since the Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop dvd days so there are quite a few in there. Basically if it's a release that has extras of some sort that's the one I want. My favorite extras tend to be the live action interviews with the voice actors and or directors. Second would be any music included, location scouting type filming, production drawings, studio walk thru's, and of course any printed extras like a booklet or storyboard book.

Once upon a time FUNI used to spend some $ on their LE's (Basilisk anyone?). But apparently no one else did to make it worth their while to continue doing so? So those are basically history. History that's still on my shelf even though my tastes and viewing habits have changed considerably since I first bought them.

Well said! I will take interviews (with subtitles if needed), OSTs and artbooks over silly keychains and promo videos any day.

I also can tell how my tastes changed Anime smile. I bought Freezing Season 1 and realized after months of it being on my shelf; Wow, this was an ok series, fairly expensive and FULL of fanservice and borderline hentai OVAs. Why the hell did I buy this?

To my defense, I was reading the manga (which def has fanservice, but is almost a whole other beast compared to the anime) and thoroughly enjoyed it; a bit different from the anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shirow Otaku wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

5. I'm an anime collector with over 900 titles. I have a whole bunch of limited edition swag like that and some imports from other regions too. Even some of the most pricey purchases like the Garden of Sinners BD set.

6. If I had more shelf space to waste I would definitely go for the LE but I don't. Instead I have to sell stuff and/or make the best use of such space by buying more compact things.

That's very impressive. I wish I could say I had no room for more titles Anime smile.

It's depressing actually, you shouldn't. I had to make use of some library/bookstore tricks to get them all on my shelves so not everything is as accessible and displayed as I want it to be. At some point the collection is going to have to annex another one of the walls. Anime cry
Shirow Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Well to each his own I guess. I can imagine it'd be a real big hassle if you moved a lot too.

Me though, By the time my collection is that big, I'd make sure I had the room for it (i'm visualizing a custom book shelf that takes up an entire wall =D).
Vracer111

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Which edition are you going to buy?

I've already pre-ordered the standard edition, which I did the minute I found out it was available for pre-order for less than $30. The LEs for AoT don't appeal to me; I don't like the art design (and that font...eeeewww!) or the extras content.

How much of a factor is money when it comes to anime?

More now that it's been in the past, I'm only buying basic editions now unless its an extremely special show to me.

What about when you are a huge fan?

I'm very selective in the anime I buy, I only physically buy titles I really enjoy anyways. If the LE is done right and it's a show I love, then I'll definitely go for it. The LE for AoT just was not done right to me.

How big a fan of AoT are you?

Really love this show, absolute favorite anime of 2013, and a better simulcast experience than PMMM. Watched it simulcast week by week and then sought out Youtube discussions for peoples thoughts on the episodes and guesses for what comes next. Imported the OST and singles CD's while the series was less than halfway done. Once the series was done looked on Youtube to find well done AoT AMV's. Watched AoT again when it became available on Netflix. Can't wait to watch it a 3rd time in HD on my HT system this time (Front projection on a 110" screen with Audiophile quality 7.2 audio setup) - the titans will be HUGE and the 5.1 mix hopefully is awesome!

Don't care for AoT's LE, but in terms of special editions not a large part of my anime collection: Cowboy Bebop UK collectors edition, GiTS: Arise Limited Editions, Patlabor Movie LCE DVDs (because the books, bonus material, and prices!), Redline Japanese and UK Collectors editions, and Usagi Drop Premium Edition. I've also have Time of Eve Kickstarter with fanbook/CD coming in when it gets released.

If there was anything that would make your purchase decision differ, what would it be?

Better design of the LE packaging and features/material contained within that actually interests me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2