• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Stumbled upon a new Gundam Wing manga called: Glory of the Losers (or Defeated). It's a reboot of the series that includes material from Episode 0 and Frozen Teardrop.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
I just finished reading the first (bunko) volume of Attack No.1, a volleyball manga from 1968...mostly because I was impressed that it got an Italian translation. It's amazing how much it reminded me of Haikyuu! and Crimson Hero both. It was also really interesting to see how static the art was for a sports series - even shoujo romances from the early 70s show more physical movement than this one does. There was some interesting commentary about girls being treated as ladies vs. as athletes, definitely a sign of the changing times. On the whole it was very good, even if heroine Kozue's main power seems to be The Magic of Friendship as she turns each and every enemy into her bestest friend within fifty-odd pages of their first appearances.

And wow, those eyes...I have never seen so many sparkles in one place!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
Finished reading Detroit metal city was a really fun manga, was a little weak in places but there was overall enough fun suff in it to patch it over. I guess you could say it hits a point and just kinda stays put, the last 3 volumes just kinda felt like it was al in the same place and id have enjoyed it more if it had a more resolute ending rather than just spoiler[negishi decides to keep up the status quo of krauser while still hating metal].

Anyway loved the manga, the characters especially. I loved how when negishi got frustrated krauser started creeping out of him and he'd have to try and get a lid on himself. The fans actually thinking krauser was a demon and the like was a bit weak but it made for some interesting bits and it was always interesting to see how they were jumping to conclusions from stuff that was happening.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I've just read the first volume of Ballroom E Yōkoso and it was much better than I expected it to be. The comedy was on point but wasn't over used to keep in tone with how seriously Fujita wanted to take the sport. I very much look forward to catching up with the rest of the series as to me it has a lot of potential and seems like it's going to be a long runner with tournaments mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
- Umineko: When They Cry Turn of the Golden Witch Omnibus Vol. 1-2 (Series Vol. 5-9) [Complete]:

Wow, Beatrice really shows her might in this second arc.

The “Halloween” murder was particularly gruesome. Egads.

- La Corda d’Oro Vol. 6-7:

More back-and-forth wavering on Kahoko’s end. It’s getting to be a little tedious.

I have been enjoying some of the hijinks chapters, such as Asuma’s chapter involving his fiancee.

- Vampire Knight Vol. 17:

This volume was pretty good. It has a nice mix of action and tension.

- Oh My Goddess! Vol. 20:

The Sora chapters were a lot of fun to read. She’s definitely one of the big underrated characters of Oh My Goddess!.

- Midnight Secretary Vol. 3-4:

One could argue that Kaya is very lucky, but is she really?

Things sure are escalating quickly. The inclusion of a new vampire character adds an element that I haven’t seen in the manga yet: a secondary female character that serves as a foil. This looks to be interesting.

- Pokémon Adventures Vol. 20:

So I really wonder how the heroes are going to get out of this situation. It’s looking very bad right now.

- Black Butler Vol. 7-8:

I KNEW IT! I knew something was up with them!

- Knights of Sidonia Vol. 7:

These newfangled hybrids sure seem handy.

At the same time, I can’t help but wonder when things will go terribly wrong. This sense of impending dread that I feel regarding what could happen next intensified with this book.

- Missions of Love Vol. 6:

A lot of “will they or won’t they?” in this book. It’s starting to get a little frustrating.

- Dragon Ball VizBig Edition Vol. 5 (Vol. 13-16):

And finally, I have experienced kid-Goku stories in full. It’s been a blast, and will remain as my favourite part of the Dragon Ball story unless the “Z” portion of the manga really nails it. (And it likely won’t.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I just keep reading Goong and I just keep getting more addicted! Damn, man, I can't help myself, I can't stop reading it! I'm also currently watching You're Beautiful, aka "my first k-drama", and I am finding them similar in many ways such as pacing. Somehow it seems way faster for the comics naturally. Actually, I did pick up the Goong k-drama because $12 at the used store, but I am definitely learning the appeal of k-dramas. I still find them a bit weird because of how they air (two eps on back to back nights? And they're over an hour long an ep? Very different from US or UK dramas, getting used to it). Still, this almost seems like an ideal bridge between manga and k-dramas because Goong is just so damn good! I'm a fan of political struggles and scheming of course, but there's also a bit of that with people having forbidden crushes, so it has tons of cracktastic elements all over it. Also, I like the art, a lot of manhwa, at least the preview pages and pics, just look off to me compared to manga, but not as much with Goong (though the "super deformed" look way different, but I've gotten used to it). Though it does have something in common with shoji where half the time, once the characters are in color on the cover, I can't tell who is who at all, not sure why that is on some series. Oh, and I'm through volume 11 (which is Yen's 11, so v14). I think one of my goals for this year is to get into more korean manhwa and stuff (clearly choosing to do this after Ya went out was bad timing, but I only wanted to get into it because Ya went out and called attention to k-drama for me really)

I also read Doll, one of many manga of that name surely, this one by Mitsukazu Mihara. I'm not one for gothic lolita manga, frankly most of them are awful and are just there for looks, but based on the short collections I'd read of hers before, I really like her works. She has actual substance behind that style and her works are really quite good. Doll had lots of thought provoking shorts and used the "three laws of robotics" combined with "what measure is a human?" quite well. Stories ranged from sometimes happy to depressing as all hell (volume 3 came shrink wrapped due to sexaroids pushing it over OT into M). I definitely do need to find any works of hers I'm missing (I think it's RIP and Embalmer, v2 *shudder*, edit, actually found one for $7, it seems there's a few random cheap copies about, but v2 is mostly climbing high. I'll order 1, 3, 4, and RIP probably next time I make a rightstuf order)
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Mitsukazu Mihara is great. I have everything of hers published in English. I just wish The Embalmer would be completed by someone (looking at you, Ed)

I love Goong as well. I have up to volume 13, but I read the ending in scans because for a long time it looked like Yen had ditched it after volume 12. It is indeed incredibly cracktastic.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, shiny scans! Does it end... I suppose "well" isn't the right word, but rather "satisfactorily"? If my Otakon panel gets picked this year, I plan to include this series (I don't want manhwa feeling left out, even though it's totally left out of my collection with improvements only coming recently), if it does get picked, I'll watch the TV series I bought as much as I can for a comparison reference, but damn do those 70 minute k-drama eps seem way long when compared to the US ones I'm used to.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I can't really remember the ending too well, because it was about 2 years ago that I read it. I seem to remember it was happy though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm slowly but surely reading some of Kitaro and I noticed something: it really reminds me a lot of Mushishi. Replace Ginko with a kid who is also more evil than him, replace mushy with yokai, and they're quite similar. Hell, they both even only have one eye! With emo bangs to hide the other! Kitaro seems to help people with yokai problems (though sometimes he'll threaten to kill people who directly annoy him). The problems might be different (soul stealing for example), but he's the expert who inexplicably shows up to fix it. But Mushishi is still better, it's got that whole atmosphere going on that Kitaro is more so-so on. It also doesn't help that it has the pacing of an early shonen, which means it can feel a bit rushed at times by today's standards. Still, I am enjoying it!
Pliskin Femto

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
Just finished Battle Royale, moving on to Crows. Also gotta find the time to start Gantz and Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin, 2 manga I've been wanting to read for a long time.

BR instantly became one of my favorites. I had seen the movie but never read the book or the manga until now. So much more depth. Every character has a completely unique personality and physical appearance, which brings us to the fact that it's not only one of the best written but also one of the best drawn manga out there.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
Read KuroBas vol.24, Karneval vol.13, Sinbad no Bouken vol.3, and Gin no Saji vol.11.

Nothing much to say about KuroBas since I actually read these chapters in Shounen JUMP already. Current chapters of KuroBas are crazy though. AKASHI. *___________*

Gareki was adorable in Karneval. Would be nice if they gave the series a second season and followed the manga.

Sinbad no Bouken was amazing, as usual. The OAD that it came with was great too. I'm looking forward to the continuation in August.

Gin no Saji continues to entertain. Hachiken's dad really is scary. ^^; Mikage is clueless, as usual. Poor Hachiken...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Pliskin Femto wrote:
BR instantly became one of my favorites. I had seen the movie but never read the book or the manga until now. So much more depth. Every character has a completely unique personality and physical appearance, which brings us to the fact that it's not only one of the best written but also one of the best drawn manga out there.

I completely agree, I watched the film before I started getting into manga but I'm so glad I read the series. The character exploration is immense, obviously due to the amount of time restriction a film has.

Souma is the stand out character for me and is more than likely my favourite character from any series; somehow her back story made me sympathise with her and somehow condone her despicable actions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
^I saw the movie well after reading the manga, but yeah, I do like how the manga tends to show everyone's back story before they inevitably die, show what kind of person they were and the movie clearly doesn't have the time (though it does have Beat Takeshi, and he is awesome). I saw the movie at Otakon, when it finally came to America legally. I've read a bit of the novel, I recently bought it though because comic shop had it and had it half off. But even with the manga's gratuitous sex and violence, it actually kind of works here so I really like it. When RightStuf got in some random Tokyopop manga and ultimate 4 was among it, I snagged it so I'd have an entire Ultimate set, mwahaha!

It is weird that the characters come in the two flavors Leiji Matsumoto likes: Supermodel, and Gonk (though maybe it's more "normal, slightly attractive and gonk here).
Pliskin Femto

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Souma is the stand out character for me and is more than likely my favourite character from any series; somehow her back story made me sympathise with her and somehow condone her despicable actions.

Yeah, I pretty much gave in to the natural response of hating her until spoiler[her confrontation with Kiriyama where all the pieces came together. I actually felt for her in the end.

Since I mentioned that confrontation, one of my favorite scenes from the manga is when Kiriyama goes for the final blow, and we see him unable to pull the trigger, lowering his aim. It was a moment where I thought the impossible had happened and Kiriyama showed emotion. Of course we find out later he failed to shoot because of the bullet wound in his arm. A brilliant scene.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 115 of 154