• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Game No Life (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Except they're not in a video game. They're in a fantasy world that decides things with games.

Of course the "people from our world sent to a fantasy realm" concept is older than dirt, but it's slightly different from being sucked into a video game.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
A guy I know did that with D-Frag. I had to set him straight. Oh, god he's likely going to do it with this too.
Akeema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Except they're not in a video game. They're in a fantasy world that decides things with games.

Of course the "people from our world sent to a fantasy realm" concept is older than dirt, but it's slightly different from being sucked into a video game.

The concept still has become very tired though. Until they make a sequel to Twelve Kingdoms (which will never happen), I'm going skip shows like these for future seasons.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
The second episode was definitely an improvement over episode 1. The brother and sister had a bit more personality and we started to get more information about the background of this world that they are now in.

The early part with Sora "accidentally" fondling Steph and whatnot was pretty cheesy and more or less fulfilled the necessary boob grab quota. However, I did find it sort of funny how the little sister was commenting on what was happening and breaking the 4th wall a bit by indicating that it was a parody of the usual rom com tropes.

I like that the siblings seem like genuinely good people, even if they are obsessed with games and the brother is a bit of a perv. I also liked the 3rd character, Steph. She may be more or less a pretty face and a pair of giant boobs, but she does seem to have some dream of restoring her kingdom, so she has at least some appeal to her aside from the sexual kind.

I will continue watching this one for now, though I am still not expecting it to be as good as Problem Children, yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

spoiler[Objection]! The guy watching over the whole thing even looked like the spoiler[judge from Phoenix Wright], and the chess match setting kind of looked like court. I was thinking when there was something about needing a spoiler[madman that he could do it], since he seems to be a master of spoiler[messed up thinking]. Seems that the only reason the spoiler[chess pieces are so worked up] is that he believes what he is saying about spoiler[cuteness]. Not sure about spoiler[the queen] though.

The end result of other sides cheating kind of throws the rules out. And if she was telling the truth, she must not see the huge amount of irony in her saying she would not become puppet when her match involves spoiler[controlling "pawn" with magic]. But I am sure we will learn that not everyone is so bad.

I love the ED song.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Decent episode and the game they're playing is spoiler[chess. Still, it's seems to be much more than that as the game progressed. The king is to feared by Sora but I think he's handling it well now after talking to the queen. Still, I think this might be a close match. I wonder if he can pull it through because his opponent is known to pull all sort of tricks.]

Oh and another spoiler[Jojo reference. Nice.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Ep3 -
Oh, these two. I love them so freakin much and this show would completely fall apart if either of them were even slightly different.

Some good parodies (LOL the judge) and again with the spoiler[jojo.] How menacing~

So a game of spoiler[chess turned into an actual battle]. That was pretty cool. And spoiler[winning over the queen] was hilarious and brilliant. Not since Seiki-kun have I witnessed such a glorious gridbroad battle.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Akeema wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

The concept still has become very tired though. Until they make a sequel to Twelve Kingdoms (which will never happen), I'm going skip shows like these for future seasons.

I think you need to understand that pretty much every show uses a concept that as been done before. You can only write about so many things in this world afterall. So that is by no means a reason to hate a show before even giving it a chance.

I don't mind redundant concepts as long as the way they are delivered is fresh and able to keep my attention. That's my biggest grievance with Black Bullet right now because of how unimaginative and bland the direction in that show is.

Here I think it's nice to see characters trapped in another world actually not wanting to go back to their original world. The show doesn't take itself to seriously and is all in good fun honestly.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I love the ED song.

Sadly we have to wait a month for the full song to be released Sad
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Greatest game of chess ever Laughing Cuteness is worth dying for!
OH&S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
After watcing the first 3 episodes, I have to say:

It's completely unprecedented how this show's humour is right up my alley. I'm enjoying this show way more than I thought I'd be.

Sora/Kirito's seiyuu is doing a better job here than in SAO for sure.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
that chess game was pure fun, I love this show
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I lol'd @ the delicious tears this episode. Otherwise, if spoiler[Sora really meant what he said, then we'll be seeing some more hardcore games soon and possible ascension for his character should he defeat God.]

On another note, I spotted some spoiler[cameos in the background. I think we'll see them later on in the show.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

He used the rules to spoiler[make everyone who followed him tell the truth, and then saved the economy with facts he probably knew from researching for games]. Cool Cool. And the part with Sora, Shiro, spoiler[and Tet], apparently he was spoiler[annoyed for losing], and seems that there was almost a part of saying he was like a spoiler[member of Blank].
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

The latest episode was silly imo. Poor spoiler[Steph though..she couldn't even win a single game and had to wear that silly outfit. At any rate, the pace is picking up a bit at the end there. Should be interesting to see how Shiro and Sora deal with that].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11