• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Are You There Shinigami? It's Me, Kira

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I wac tempted to pick up Black/Silver the other day. I didn't but this review has made me think twice about it.

Btw, awesome title for this one- I knew a Deathnote reivew had to be in there somewhere. I loved volume 11- and i'm a bit sad / confused how it can suddenly end in the next volume. I can't wait to see everything come together or...try to. This whole time i've been pulling for Light and enjoying every idea/twits he makes. I love his evil faces lol.

For Hayate i'm a bit...worried. After reading the review I wonder if it can bounce back from volume 2. I loived 1 but almost hated 2.

As for Snow...i loved it.

...as for Gothic Sports well...i'm willing to try it. The style (at least from what I see of the cover) looks like american comic style. I'll wait to past judgement when I get the book.

Nice column this week- i look forward to more soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Imagine, if you will, a bishounen Beethoven

Shocked I'm afraid that I don't want to do that; it's just not right to imagine him that way. Plus, it's way too bizarre, as well as a bit disturbing. At the same time, it does sound sort of unintentionally hilarious, as does the mentioned appearance of Franz Schubert, but mostly it tells me that the story is made up of some pretty weird, manga-ized, fantastical, alternative history. It makes me wonder if anyone out there has drawn a bishounen Abraham Lincoln or Leonardo da Vinci.
elsie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
I think the world would explode at the sight of a bishounen Abe Lincoln, one of the homeliest men ever. Shocked
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
I really like the best/worst ever segment. The hatred you have for these manga makes me want to read at least one chapter. I have never felt that strongly about any manga really.
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
a bishounen Abraham Lincoln or Leonardo da Vinci.
Play Elite Beat Agents. In the "I Was Born to Love You" mission, you're cheering on a bishie Da Vinci.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
It makes me wonder if anyone out there has drawn a bishounen Abraham Lincoln or Leonardo da Vinci.

Rule 34, my friend ... Rule 34.

I imagine it's only a short jump from historical fiction yaoi to historical nonfiction ...

Oscar Wilde?
kolibri

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
Death Note 11 was a step down from 10 I thought, and although Mikami made me wanna pull my hair out and scream, it was still getting pretty intense towards the end. I never got into the character of Near, to me he always felt like a poor man's version of L... I thought Mikami was pretty promising but in this volume he's just a big asshat. Of the new characters, Mello became my favourite (meow).

I'm looking forward to reading Millenium Snow, but I still haven't been able to find it in stores anywhere... I read the first chapter in Shoujo Beat few months back and though it was pretty cute - and Bisco Hatori has such a wacky sense of humor. I know she's just flexing her writing muscles in this one before Ouran, but it looks like something I'll enjoy... Just two volumes, right?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Great column title! It goes nicely with the volume of DN that was reviewed.

kolibri wrote:
Death Note 11 was a step down from 10 I thought, and although Mikami made me wanna pull my hair out and scream, it was still getting pretty intense towards the end. I never got into the character of Near, to me he always felt like a poor man's version of L... I thought Mikami was pretty promising but in this volume he's just a big asshat. Of the new characters, Mello became my favourite (meow).

I was a bit disappointed with volume 11 also, but it still was a great read as always. Death Note hasn't been the same since the greatness that was volume 7 (my favorite volume easy), but it hasn't faltered so much for it to fall off the high pedestal I've put it on. It's still my #1 favorite manga by far.

I really like Mikami. He showed such promise in volume 10, but then he gets shoved into the background in volume 11. He didn't get much "screen time" and didn't really do anything all that important, as opposed to volume 10. What's up with that? This volume really started getting good towards its end, and it seems poised for it's conclusion in volume 12. Yeah, hasn't been the same since the greatness that was volume 7 (my favorite volume easy), but it hasn't faltered so much to fall for me to knock it off the high pedestal I've put it on. It's still my #1 favorite manga by far.

As for Near, I've never liked him. He's such an ass, and he really hasn't done much on his own. L had already figured out most of what Near knows. Near was just going off of that. Plus, it's a bit ridiculous how he figures some things so easily. I do agree with you to some degree Mello though. He's my favorite character of the second half of DN also. He's just so cool, and He keeps popping up when you least expect it. Plus, he's had a pretty important role whenever he's been around. He's had a hand in many big events in one way or another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Crap, the guy on the cover of "Mozart" looks cool....

Whoa--there's Rozen Maiden manga out? Sorry, I didn't know. But, hey, I'm all for it. I'm way behind, though...
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
The first few volumes of Hayate do wander around a little, figuring out what works and what doesn't. I found it consistently hilarious (except for Sakuya), but the last few volumes in Japan have really played up the romantic comedy angle, and it has been far more meaty and satisfying as a result.
Zakuroneko

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm tied between two responses for that Mozart manga- either insisting that someone make a bishounen Liszt (easier to imagine than bishie Beethoven) comic or buying it for my music history professor.

Patachu wrote:
It makes me wonder if anyone out there has drawn a bishounen Abraham Lincoln or Leonardo da Vinci.

Rule 34, my friend ... Rule 34.

Rule 34 for Abe Lincoln? I'm ashamed to admit that I have it on my hard drive. Embarassed It's disturbingly hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote
It makes me somewhat sad that the most exciting thing there for me was in the preamble before the reviews Razz

A Nodame Cantabile DS game? That sounds awesome. Sadly, I'm not sure if it would be picked up in English, so I have a question...how text-based is it? Because if there isn't too much, I could always import.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
A Nodame Cantabile DS game? That sounds awesome. Sadly, I'm not sure if it would be picked up in English, so I have a question...how text-based is it? Because if there isn't too much, I could always import.

Well ... in the beginning they ask you to input your name to create a save file, and so the characters can call you something, but you could just pick some random kana (or a kana-ized version of your name.) But otherwise the only Japanese skills required are for (1) picking things from menus, (2) reading captions/dialogue, (3) following instructions. All of which can be figured out by poking around and guessing.

The main part of the game is a story mode where you're a reporter for Classic Life, interacting with the characters from the series. The dialogue is mostly just filler material where the students ask you to help them with practice, and you end up playing a bunch of songs. (I LOVE the Milch arc though ... Stresemann goes around the school trying to hook up with girls for an ai-kon, but if you can outplay him, he gives up Laughing)

It's basically Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan with nothing but classical music, and there's a few minigames in there too, including Taiko Drum Master with Masumi.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

Well ... in the beginning they ask you to input your name to create a save file, and so the characters can call you something, but you could just pick some random kana (or a kana-ized version of your name.) But otherwise the only Japanese skills required are for (1) picking things from menus, (2) reading captions/dialogue, (3) following instructions. All of which can be figured out by poking around and guessing.

I've got a question about the game while we're here. I've heard the game is pretty short, which doesn't much matter to me, but how does the game hold up over time? Is it a game that's worth revisiting a few times? It's a double punch of awesomeness in Nodame + music simulator, but I've been a bit slow on picking it up because I'm not sure what kind of replay value the game has.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I've got a question about the game while we're here. I've heard the game is pretty short, which doesn't much matter to me, but how does the game hold up over time? Is it a game that's worth revisiting a few times? It's a double punch of awesomeness in Nodame + music simulator, but I've been a bit slow on picking it up because I'm not sure what kind of replay value the game has.

For me, I wouldn't mind replaying it a few times, but not much past that. I'd probably want to play the harder pieces again just because I love the music. If you want a "proper" rhythm game, this isn't it, because it's too easy and there's no real scoring system. But if you want a Nodame game, and a classical music game, this is great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2