• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Another [Omnibus] GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
I'm actually quite torn between whether I like this version or the anime version more. While the manga's art is great and I like the heavier focus put on Kouichi and Reiko's relationship, I do like what the anime did with Izumi more (though I wish spoiler[she lived like she does in the manga]).

Oh well, I can just like both Very Happy
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This version is way better than the anime adaption. The way the anime portrays the culprit, makes you feel cheated. It is like they withheld important clues to solve the mystery, which goes against every mystery solving rule.

Not to mention this art is beautiful in comparison to PA Works same face designs. All their designs too pretty much identical and these ones did not need to be moe-ified.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I did'nt know there was a manga version and its supposedly better then the anime. I may have to pick this up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I've been tempted to pick this up solely on the basis of seeing the gigantic book on the shelf. I didn't even know there was an anime.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
There are two novels too, currently available as ebooks and soon in print as another big book for your shelves. Very Happy I think I've consumed every version of this series except the live action film...
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene how was the binding? I'm surprised they didn't split it into two omnibuses.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly flexible and crease-resistant. While things could get a bit close to the inside margin, the book easily spreads open to read everything fully, and I'm pleased to report that the spine of my copy remains totally crack free, despite having been read by both my sister and I. The book is a bit heavy because of its width, but otherwise easy to read and nicely put together.
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Surprisingly flexible and crease-resistant. While things could get a bit close to the inside margin, the book easily spreads open to read everything fully, and I'm pleased to report that the spine of my copy remains totally crack free, despite having been read by both my sister and I. The book is a bit heavy because of its width, but otherwise easy to read and nicely put together.

I'm glad it holds up. I definitely will check it out at some point Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
There's a part of me that really wants to pick it up. Happy to hear it's rather strong! I know I'll be getting the hardcover novel later on...

I wonder if Yen would be able to pick up that Another 0 volume.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I've heard some bad things about Yen Press's other super-huge omnibuses, specifically the Umineko volumes for "Banquet of the Golden Witch." I wonder if these two titles are actually bound differently, or if the other reviewers were more picky.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'd actually go with "bound differently" - the Umineko volumes are much harder to read with more margin-bleed to the point where you can miss a lot of dialogue. They're also heavier and just generally more of a pain to read. Much as I love getting lots of story in each book, I'd almost rather get smaller volumes that let me see everything on each page.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1