• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
xxxHOLiC capitalization consistency

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
When I was looking up Shizuka Itou's roles, I noticed that there's an inconsistency in how the xxxHOLiC titles are capitalized.

XxxHOLiC (manga)
XXXHOLiC (TV)
XxxHOLiC: Kei (TV)
xxxHOLiC: Shunmuki (OAV)
xxxHOLiC: Rō (OAV)
xxxHOLiC: Rō Adayume (OAV)
XxxHOLiC the Movie: A Midsummer Night's Dream
XXXHOLiC: Rei (manga)

That's 3 different styles of capitalizing the "XXX" portion.

While the font used for the official logo is a bit strange, FUNimation's DVDs all have xxxHOLiC in normal characters on them. Likewise, even with the strange font, the official logo does show the xxx to be the same size (although it does appear that the capitalization on the manga is xxxHoLic).

Doing quick searchs on RightStuf and Amazon, and they use xxxHOLiC for everything, and Japanese Wikipedia uses either XXXHOLiC or xxxHOLiC (noting the latter is used in mix media).

Given the DVD covers, the store listings, and the Japanese wikipedia article, I'd say that xxxHOLiC is probably the best capitalization, and all of the titles should be edited to reflect that.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the small "xxx" instead of "XXX" since the idea was to denote the early characters would be a "-holic" of some kind. Basically a victim of some kind of affliction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Now homogenized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1