• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
M3 the dark metal (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote

M3 the dark metal (TV)

Genres: action
Themes: mecha

Plot Summary: There is distorted, deep blackness everywhere. That place, in which blackness swallowed everything and took away everything, has become known as the Avidya Zone. Strange beings assume the very form of the despair and chaos of humanity. They are known by this name: Imashime. An expedition surveys the Avidya Zone which consumes human spirits. So, in the intricate intersection between the present in impending crisis and the destiny of the past... eight boys and girls, assembled to confront the Imashime, find the bright future that lies before the Avidya Zone.
----------------------------------

Episode 1: Saw the pre-air and it was alright. spoiler[There's a lot of mysteries going on including some of the characters' past. One particular girl caught my interest although I'm curious to see what other roles she has in the story. The mecha are pretty badass looking though imo especially at the end there.]

The OST/soundtrack has an eerie tone to it and somewhat reminds me a little of Captain Earth's theme song. Still, I think this has potential. I hope to see the full OP and ED song soon too.

[EDIT: Changed the title to reflect the newly translated English spelling. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ep1

That was pretty good overall despite having some traits I dislike. I like the story so far. The dark world looks absolutely awesome and the abominations sound awesome. I had their twist figured out before the 5 minute mark but it was pretty standard fare. The mechs look cool and the 3D models are generally ok except that slow movement for the Abominations looks absolutely terrible.

The clingy girl is pretty annoying but I wouldn't be shocked if she's up to something.

This reminds me of... something. But I can't put my finger on it. Interlude maybe? It's been so long I barely remember it but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

One of these days I hope to see an anime where the entire thing is set in a hopeless place like the dark world, but I don't think that will happen until we get another really ambitious project. It'd also need to be a movie or an OVA since a TV series of it would just be too depressing.

EDIT: Wait wait wait. How long is this? I've seen everything from 3 to 13 to Unknown. The official site is giving me a hassle and I don't want to know badly enough to try and frig with it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The clingy girl is pretty annoying but I wouldn't be shocked if she's up to something

She hurts the establishing tone of the show hard, everyone else can be hand waved as individual eccentrics but the manner in which she wants go out and try to get on top of the male lead makes me think she was written for a very different type of series.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:

One of these days I hope to see an anime where the entire thing is set in a hopeless place like the dark world, but I don't think that will happen until we get another really ambitious project.

Perhaps the Lightless Realm would expand significantly mid-show, devouring their school and turning all the students into Admonitions. Who knows? Wink

Another question here: since so far only Daisuki streams this anime legally, should it is licensed in the US, which company will get it? Sentai or Funi? Or someone else?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
I don't know about this one. I kind of like it but, so far, I find virtually all the characters annoying - especially the MC. Emotionally shut down people Due to Tragic Past are never my favourite types. Also, I wasn't crazy over the Daisuke sub translation. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the translation, but there was something bland and lifeless about the English (with the exception of the reference to spoiler[Red Poop]). I'll give it a few more eps, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Tomoko as a mecha pilot! Well the Tomoko like character was the only one I felt interesting so far. I do like the gloomy atmosphere though, maybe that is why I like the character too.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

Tomoko as a mecha pilot! Well the Tomoko like character was the only one I felt interesting so far. I do like the gloomy atmosphere though, maybe that is why I like the character too.

I noticed that too and was like woot! Everyone else did indeed come off as bland but i do like the mystery of the show.

I find it amusing though that the kids are just chosen to start fighting monsters and are more less like "meh.....ok".
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
Daisuki's signage is crap, too. I went and checked it on their actual site just to be sure.

The gloom girl is totally my favourite of them. I don't mind the two guys. Looking forward to the other ones.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Okay, just rewatched the 1st episode and I'm still unsure about this particular scene before the OP theme kicks in: those kids lost & trapped in the darkness... are they supposed to be the past selves of our teenage protagonists (i.e. they've met each others when they were kids)?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
That's a possibility, but I don't think we have enough information yet to be sure of anything.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
I thought it was the teens as kids, they seem to have forgot, but it why they have high aptitude and why they remembered that one bit. Chances are that the thing at the end of the episode is the same thing that saved them in the past.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
A dark brooding MC who's really good at piloting and has a dark past and ignore all advance from the female character, where do they come up with this stuff, such boldness and originality? Rolling Eyes

At this point it's competent, but nothing more, like 2.5/5 doesn't do anything wrong but nothing great. The CG wasn't that great but it never is.

At thirst I was hoping the show wouldn't actually have a MC, but that hope got squashed pretty quickly.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I like it so far, expect Emiru, she's annoying. the sooner she realizes that whatever she is up to wont work, the better
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2, This is a case that I feel that there is maybe one or two episodes worth of information that would give proper context in making sense of the various events that have transpired.

Why should I care about the established serial killer who is amusingly named Heito as well as throwing in a Michael Bayformers bot in a world where the initial mechs established are much larger tank like constructs is a bit confusing without prior context of the technology level in this world.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2... The mystery is still strong and still works for me. But... Man, couldn't they at least make those teenagers more likable? Sad would've quite a hard time surviving a week with them. And now there're this psychotic white-haired guy, spoiler[a creepy blood-licking childish prankster], and a perverted teacher. Rolling Eyes

And while I don't quite particularly like Akashi, I found it amusing that he always has a way to brush off Emiru's advances. Using snarky one-liners, that is.

Also... the moment I saw spoiler[the psychotic boy trying to pilot that seemingly out-of-place-and-time mech, instantly I thought, "No way, dude. It is already reserved for our super-dark, brooding MC. Very Happy]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6