• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 11-22 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least it solved the mystery of spoiler[Goto's girlfriend] in the second half. But yeah, I wasn't a fan of the later arcs either. I still enjoy the show to some extent though especially when it retains its slice of life mood as it did in a few episodes even in the second half. Imo, that is when I enjoy the show the most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Tear out the nonsensical episodes of them fighting aliens, and you would have a really good 11 episode show.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everything, except that the animation should be scored a bit lower, IMO. Oh yeah, and the final score...a Flamenco/10 or a Flamwenco/10. Cool
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Another Carl K. bull's eye review, imo. Agree with everything he wrote. Still, I have to say, this show continued to have a pretty reasonable entertainment value despite its flaws. Not sure I'll buy it, but perhaps the presence of Flamenco Girl might sway me.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
At first I was despondent about Aniplex picking this one up. Cheered up a bit over the worst company in NA anime getting this once the bat-crap crazy, visually-underwhelming tamakeri fetish fodder showed up.

Then once the series completely fell apart I was downright ecstatic that Aniplex was saddled with this dud. If they release this stateside then it will be the one time that their prohibitive pricing is appropriate Smile
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
SF is definitely a trainwreck, but in a good way. The best possible way, in fact.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of the series definitely has to be the whole heroes vs goverment. It has a lot of nods to the Marvel Civil War but in a fun way. Then there is also how its final fight feels like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

Also, the way the characters reacted to the whole alien thing was amazing. Flamenco Girl simply said "So another threat? So when do we get to beat them?"
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
At the beginning I enjoyed the show because of Hazama’s earnest attempt to make the world a better place. I was even more excited when the series changed gears in episode 7. It reminded me of how I felt about Madoka at the end of episode 3. I thought Samurai Flamenco would be a show with fun twists and something clever to say. I finally quit at episode 12 because I couldn't take the rehashed tokusatsu storylines. I held on as long as I did because I simply couldn't believe that a show with such a solid start could turn into such a pile of poo. Denial is a dangerous thing...
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
This was a fantastic series and one I'm glad I stuck with. The plot twists were kind of jarring, but you weren't supposed to take them seriously, nothing about the show was serious. It was meant to be a parody series, mixed with tons of homages to pretty much every genre of anything, and for the most part it worked. Sure it might not be the best anime out there, but it is one of the most entertaining. Lots of good moments, and the characters were always fun to watch as they grew, and dealt with absolute insanity.

The final arc was a lot more personal, and I liked that take on it, even if it never had the proper conclusion it deserved. All in all, its a fun series!
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring everything else about this show, a C+ in animation is too generous for Samurai Flamenco. It looked and animated terribly, especially as a noitamina show. Has any noitamina been as terribly animated as this one? I'd say C- at best. Although I'd probably put it in the D range.
Akeema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Words cannot describe how much I loved this show. Sure, the animation was a mess but I was never bored. One thing I liked is the journey and growth of the characters through the different story arcs and how they came full circle. In that regard, the show got that absolutely right. The dark edge also perfectly balanced out the goofiness. And that shonen-ai showdown was freakin' awesome! I had guessed that maybe Masayoshi was gay from earlier in the series, but never in my wildest dreams did I think they were going to address it that directly. With a good dub, I think this could really work.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen up to episode 9 of Samurai Flamenco, but even this early on I miss the realistic but fun escapades of the early episode pre-King Torture. Since I'm watching this with friends, though, I'm very curious to see their reactions as to what's going to happen in the next 13 episodes.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Ignoring everything else about this show, a C+ in animation is too generous for Samurai Flamenco. It looked and animated terribly, especially as a noitamina show. Has any noitamina been as terribly animated as this one? I'd say C- at best. Although I'd probably put it in the D range.

I'd say Galilei Donna after episode 3. But as a consistent whole. Not really.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I watched it all the way through to the end, but I can't say I'd recommend it for all the reasons Carl sets forth.

I was especially disappointed that the Flamenco Girls got pushed to the background in the latter half of the show. I thought episode ten spoiler[where Mari and Moe are captured by King Torture] was one of the most compelling. Then the girls are largely dropped from the story line just as they were starting to become interesting.

At least we get to see those lovely eye-catch illustrations during the ED.

I also expected to see more resolution of the story about spoiler[Goto's girlfriend.]
Akeema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I also expected to see more resolution of the story about spoiler[Goto's girlfriend.]

The conclusion I came to was that the bus driver did something possibly. Maybe this will be explored if there is a season 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3