• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
LEGO Howl's Moving Castle project.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speshy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi fellow anime fans,

I wanted to show you something I designed, and ask for your help in making this project a reality.

I designed a LEGO version of Howl's Moving Castle (Studio Ghibli), and posted it to LEGO's official Ideas website (see link below). If it gains enough supporters (10,000) within 1 year, LEGO will officially review the set and perhaps we could see LEGO and Studio Ghibli finally join forces! I'm trying to round up some support from all the hottest anime fan sites. Please hep me support and share with all your Studio Ghibli- and/or LEGO-loving friends.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/37352

Can you guys recommend other popular sites I can also look to for support? Any bloggers care to repost this?

Thanks,

Kurt

PS Here's another I made, of a Laputian Robot from Castle in the Sky. He also needs your support!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/39857
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
We don't allow self-advertising or solicitations for personal projects or endeavors. It's not written as an outright rule, per se, but random people have signed up strictly for that purpose enough, that users generally report such attempts as invasive and/or annoying to look at, for the most part.

However, there are rare (and I really mean *rare*) cases where the authors of such threads actually put forth the effort to make something out of their ideas. Generally, the only way you can salvage a topic like this from getting locked is to actually try and socialize with the rest of the community.

Present your idea, ask for honest feedback, keep the thread going with replies and occasional updates. You know, like a forum thread is supposed to be.

Far too often, we get a lot of one-shot users who show up like door-to-door salesmen, post a link, ask us to visit/subscribe to their YouTube channel, blog, fill out a survey for their school project, or even try recruiting for their websites, and then they're never heard from again.

The rules may be strict, but this forum community at ANN is pretty tight. They put a lot of effort into their thoughts and activities and would appreciate the same, especially with a project like this.

So if you can, please try not to come off as another one of those one-time schmucks. I can see by your project that you've put a lot of work into it. But as a moderator of these forums and also as a member of the community, I ask if you can do more than just advertise. Thanks.
speshy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, tony.

I suppose I didn't mention it in the post, but I am always open to suggestions for improvement on the model. I've shown that in several areas on the project's page.

I'm here to answer questions about building technique, rendering, scale, post more views if anyone wants, etc.

I do think it is a bit far to group me in a "schmuck" category, though, being a moderator and all, without giving my project a chance for discussion first.

I'm sure it's tight in here, and I'm sure you get a lot of zany posters coming through, but we all started as newbies in the forum at some point. If I like the camaraderie and support from fellow fans, you can bet I'll be back to become part of this community.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
speshy wrote:
I do think it is a bit far to group me in a "schmuck" category, though, being a moderator and all, without giving my project a chance for discussion first.

The fact that you replied at all means you passed the test, so no worries.

Normally, had the thread been left to sit in the forums by itself, chances are another user might've reported it as advertising, and I, or another mod would've been forced to take action for said report. But I made a reply to act as a placeholder so nobody could do so, knowing full well that I had already seen it, while giving you the chance to, at least, reply.

97% of the time I make that ultimatum or give some kind of advice, those people don't do a thing to defend themselves, which usually means I was right, and they were, in fact, schmucks. But I'm glad you proved otherwise Razz.

Just know that your thread has Moderator approval, now, and that it will not be subject to any kind of "special rule enforcement in response to someone's report" outside of the regular written rules we have for forum etiquette and such.

As for the actual topic, I'm really impressed by your craftsmanship. I still haven't seen a single Miyazaki/Ghibli film ever (in like, 20 years of being an anime fan), but I see pictures and artwork for their stuff all the time and know of the names. And frankly, your effort looks amazing.

I don't know if this will help, but you can try asking a question in the Crowdfunding thread in Retail. I know it says for "Anime," but maybe the people in there could give you some tips or something on how to spread the word or find supporters elsewhere.
speshy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the helpful advice, and the nice compliments!

That's funny, because in the ~10-15 years I've been into anime, about 90% of that interest is geared towards Studio Ghibli films. I own them all, love most of them, and am always inspired to make creations based on their characters / vehicles / places.

I am particularly proud of the How's Moving Castle MOC (LEGO speak meaning My Own Creation), as it uses some sound building techniques to reinforce the unseen structure on the inside.

Of course the #1 comment I tend to get is "Can you make it bigger?" As it stands now, this set would likely go for around $50 or so, so even doubling the dimensions will likely quadruple the piece count / price ...but it is something I'd like to eventually tackle.

Lastly, I know we shouldn't be recommending anime here (or is it asking for recommendations?) but watch any of Studio Ghibli's feature films from 1992 - 2004 for what I believe are their golden years (read: Porco Rosso). Hopefully another wave of Golden years to come.

Thanks for the advice!
speshy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
I've taken into consideration a lot of advice (mostly from people outside this forum), and am unveiling my "version 2.0" Howl's Moving Castle set, which is finally up for support-gathering. Once again, if you'd like to see this model made into a real set, please support and share. It includes a [hopefully] beautifully detailed model of Howl's castle, and a Howl and Calcifer minifigure combination.

Howl's Moving Castle

Please take the time to also leave some feedback, so in case this project doesn't make it far enough, I can improve upon it for Version 3.0. I'll be checking for replies in a few hours.

Thanks again,

K

Cyberd1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I hate to burst your bubble but I find it hard to believe that Studio Ghibli agree to this. Howl's Moving Castle is a classic, done in Studio Ghibli's signature style, even though I love LEGO movies, I have too many good memories of the movies and that style. I would never go see such an adaption nor-would I take my grandchildren to it.
speshy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi Cyberd1,

I think you are misunderstanding my project. I am in no way trying to promote a "LEGO movie based on 'Howl's Moving Castle'".

Rather, I have created a design for a building set made from LEGO bricks. Much like how you can buy a scale model of Porco Rosso's Savoia S212 seaplane and build it yourself, or a set of paper cutouts to build a Spirited Away bathhouse, except the medium this time is LEGO bricks.

I myself would never watch a LEGO adaptation of a Ghibli film. Ugh...

K
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
speshy wrote:
Hi Cyberd1,

I think you are misunderstanding my project. I am in no way trying to promote a "LEGO movie based on 'Howl's Moving Castle'".

Rather, I have created a design for a building set made from LEGO bricks. Much like how you can buy a scale model of Porco Rosso's Savoia S212 seaplane and build it yourself, or a set of paper cutouts to build a Spirited Away bathhouse, except the medium this time is LEGO bricks.

I myself would never watch a LEGO adaptation of a Ghibli film. Ugh...

K

Thank you for that clarification. I do not know how much effort you are willing to put into this project and you may have already done this. But to increase your chances you need to go through the current list of Lego parts (here is a link to some more unusual ones http://www.thedailybrick.co.uk/lego-parts.html?limit=120) and find as many as possible that can be incorporated into your design. Plastic molds are very very expensive to make and since this is more of a niche product you need to consider Lego's ROI (return on investment) if it could be made all from bricks/parts that have already been produced your chances of getting your project done by Lego are very good. But for each unique brick a mold needs to be made, with each new mold your chances of success go down. You might check with Lego if they would except money that was crowed funded to pay for the molds.

The other problem is the cost of licensing, now this actually is something that Lego will handle but it is still a concern so even if they have all the molds if they cant make a profit after licensing the project is dead.

Anyways the more obstacles you can remove before hand and the less Lego has to do the better. Doing this will increase your chances of success.

Good luck.
speshy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I agree with all of your follow-up. When submitting a project like this, it's one thing to have a beautiful design, but another to consider feasibility.

The photo I posted yesterday ("Version 2.0") takes into consideration all of the issues about LEGO bricks you described, down to the availability of parts (no new colors or molds are proposed, just new printing on the minifigs), and even building techniques were reworked to make the model stronger. That photo is the actual final build. I have the model displayed on my shelf at home.

Licensing agreements is something I'd rather avoid, because that would be up to the willingness of each company to make an agreement, and not something I handle. Of course non-licensed ideas have an immediate advantage, but I really just love Studio Ghibli and LEGO and want to see them turn my idea into a real set (or line of sets).

Thanks for reading.

K
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about colors that only comes into play if you are trying to incorporate existing stock. The only time it would come into play would be if it was a florescent color. The silk screening is not that big of a deal either.

How many days to they give you to reach 10,000 or is the counter reset each time you get 1,000 supporters?
speshy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Currently, each project begins with 365 days to reach 10,000 supporters. If a project reaches 1,000 supporters before its time is up, it is awarded an extra 182 days to reach the goal. If it reaches 5,000 supporters before that cumulative time is up, it is awarded yet another 182 days. So, essentially it has 2 years to make it, assuming continuous boosts of support.

Anyone who's just jumping right in, here's the project I'm trying to get approved. Please check it out and support it if you like it, and share with our Ghibli-loving friends

Howl's Moving Castle

[/img]
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. That's a tough row to hoe. Have you considered translating a post with pictures into Japanese and posting on some Japanese forums you are more likely to get a lot more supporters than you would through a forum like this.

Well I wish you luck.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, FWIW, I signed up and "supported" it.
speshy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hi nobahn, actually, it's worth a lot to me. Thank you for your support! Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1