• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Recently, my sister is unusual.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
This is hands down the worst series I've tried to watch this year. I can't say anything good about it, at all. Nothing stands out as being good, and I hate pee jokes.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
This was easily my favourite series of winter (that finished airing anyway), helps that I am 100% the target audience but I do agree with some parts of this review, especially the animation and art being average but really that was the only niggle I had with the series.

The humor was spot on every episode and the focus on Hiyori and Mitsuki's relationship later on as it developed was rather sweet.

It also has the best videogame parody I've seen in anime. Came out of the blue but was hilarious.
king 47

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
The difference between the first two comments is very funny.

I've seen about 30 seconds of the first episode and knew immediately that it is not worth any more of my time. I should've not even tried, but I try not to judge things before giving them a chance.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
My first thought upon seeing this review on the site was sympathy towards the reviewer for having to watch the whole show! The review is very even handed and well thought out, though, so kudos to Theron.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Theron gave it far more credit than I did, and I'm a sucker for imoto/onii-san romance. Two episodes of sexual abuse and watersports and I dropped it like a hot potato.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
For the records, I liked Seikon No Qwaser, Onii-chan Dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne!, and Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!.
Yes, this show is much worse then those three.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Sex abuse towards women = auto-fail in my book. I don't have any problems with fan service per se, but abuse is a whole different matter.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, maybe if they had just taken out Hiyori (as well as the stupid belt) and that childhood rival, then maybe, maybe the show would have been good... oh well
RenimLS

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

I've seen about 30 seconds of the first episode and knew immediately that it is not worth any more of my time. I should've not even tried, but I try not to judge things before giving them a chance.

Just double checking here, you watched the scenes showing the town (00:00-00:04), a truck going down the street (00:05-00:07), their house's mailbox (00:08-00:10), the desk of the brother's room with a cooking magazine on it (00:11-00:13), the brother shutting off his alarm clock and getting out of bed in his PJs (00:14-00:19), brother brushing his teeth (00:20-00:22), brother walking back to his room and yawning (00:23-00:24), sister getting ready to change and lifts up her PJ shirt revealing her midriff and the brother walking in (00:25-00:26), sister standing there shocked with her lower back exposed (00:27-00:30), the brother not sure what to say and says "good morning" (00:31-00:32), sister glaring at the brother (00:33-00:34), brother apologizing for walking into her room (his old bedroom) and then leaving and shutting the door with the sister's midriff in the foreground (00:35-00:37), brother with his back to the door and sighing (00:38-00:43), breakfast on the kitchen table (00:44-00:47), brother and father eating (00:48-00:51), sister eating and looking unhappy (00:52-00:53), and back to brother and father eating with the brother sighing and then asking the father when he and the mother depart (00:54-01:02)? After getting through somewhere within this time frame of events you determined this show was completely worthless and never should have looked at it at all?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The only way I've seen this show is Masako X's review of the first two episodes on That Guy With The Glasses, and he sums up my thoughts about the show perfectly: IT SUCKS BALLS!!! This show has no standards, no creativity, no sense of decency or dignity, nothing but garbage!!! How did this even get funded or even greenlighted?! Ugh!!
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two or three episodes out of pure curiosity. I was more or less appalled, which is not that easy to do for me to be honest. The biggest turn-off for me was not the fact that the female lead was resistant to what was happening, but that there seemed to be very little in it for her. She was supposedly constantly threatened with death, and had to deal with that absolutely ridiculous chastity belt.

I could compare this show to Kanokon for example, which I also "taste-tested" out of curiosity. That show was like 10 times better than this. The male lead in that show was similarly resistant to what was going on, but he seemed to have a lot of fantastical adventures as a result. Plus, the quality all around was just much better.
Okabe-Senpai

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
This was easily my favourite series of winter (that finished airing anyway), helps that I am 100% the target audience but I do agree with some parts of this review, especially the animation and art being average but really that was the only niggle I had with the series.

The humor was spot on every episode and the focus on Hiyori and Mitsuki's relationship later on as it developed was rather sweet.

It also has the best videogame parody I've seen in anime. Came out of the blue but was hilarious.

you wasted your life watching this shit
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
And you wasted yours getting worked up about him wasting his life on that shit.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
There is a small part of me that wants to put this festering dung heap in the same category as Diabolic Lovers..........but it isn't quite THAT bad.

Like the reviewer mentioned there were some potentially good topics that the anime could have explored. I was immediately enticed by the whole step brother and step sister suddenly being told to live together. I went through the same process when my dad remarried and I got two step sisters. It was definitely an awkward process for us to finally warm up to each other so I felt Mitsuki's attitude towards Yuuya wasn't completely out of line. Sadly in japan there can never be a situation like this that develops properly without the two falling in love. It's quite disheartening really. Does getting a stepsister really always mean "When do you wanna go have sex?" over there?
/sarcasm

I for one would have liked to see interactions between Shoutarou and Moa much more. Why? Because they might be the first siblings i've seen in a long time that act naturally in anime. They are constantly being dicks towards each other but deep down still care for one another even if they don't say it. I found them to be much more interesting because that's just how my brothers and sisters were when i was growing up.

Though i do have a soft spot for yuri I utterly detested Hiyori with a passion. She very clearly rapes Mitsuki on occasion and many times makes her do embarrassing things. Yet there are instances in the series we are supposed to feel sorry for her condition. Sorry but i just couldn't do it. If you wanted people to feel sorry for you maybe you shouldn't act like a dick and try to understand how they feel about you ruining their lives?

Speaking of which I hated the fact that every time Hiyori molested Mitsuki they felt the need to shove text boxes in our faces basically saying "HEY SHE'S ENJOYING IT SO IT'S NOT RAPE!". Seriously this show couldn't get any MORE scummy with crap like that.

The comedy sucked and was most of the time forced. The only part that got me to chuckle a bit was the ending of the last episode but that might also been because i was glad it was finally over.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Okabe-Senpai wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:

you wasted your life watching this shit

And you wasted yours by creating an account just to complain that his tastes aren't like yours. How sad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6