• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strobe Edge GN 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I've developed a bit of a soft spot for shoujo recently, might have to check this one out Smile
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I've been itching for a good shojo story for a while now. It's so hard to pick a manga to pour your time into, it can be such a wast if it turns out to be bad.
Msag

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Love this manga over Ao Haru Ride any day! Although for me, the characters of Ninako and Ren seem bland in comparison to other characters, especially Andou. I admit, Ren has matured a lot over the series but... ok maybe its just Ninako (or maybe her character design, she was way too "moe" for me). Andou's angst though was probably the most heartbreaking I've ever seen in a shoujo manga. The other romances are lovely, but my most favourite relationship has got to be Andou and Ren's friendship. Just plain beautiful.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Now that they have finished Strobe Edge, they need to grab Ao Haru Ride and start publishing it for us! Just in time for the anime to come out this summer! Not a bad business proposition, eh? (In my opinion, Ao Haru Ride is even better than Strobe Edge, and that is saying a lot. However, if the current arc in it doesn't wrap up soon, with the OTP getting together, it will drop below Strobe Edge in my estimation. Both are great romantic dramady series.)
lijachan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I love Strobe Edge and it's been on my top 10 for quite a long time. It's just that good of a shoujo manga. In my honest opinion, it's better than Ao Haru Ride...at least from what I've read of the latter, the former is still up there by far.

We still don't know which way Aoharaido will lead us...but Sakisaka has always been so good at characterization and storytelling so you really anticipate what's going to happen next when she's the one writing it. I mean, there are a lot of shoujo cliches out there, and if you've been reading through the genre for as long as I have (even classics), it should be easy to tell what might happen. But there are some shoujo writers that KNOW how to pull a fast one on you when you're expecting a cliche to happen. Sakisaka is one of those people. Common shoujo sense just doesn't seem to work on her. lol

But either way, I think Aoharaido still has a long way to go to catch up to what Strobe Edge had offered. I'm here waiting for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1