• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Anime's Staff, Key Visual Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
So it's not a TV series. That's a bit disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:

Arguably, it is better off as a higher budget production which means the animation will look glorious compared to the usual TV series release.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Arrrgggghhhhh… no Yas at the helm, but at least he will be a "general manager". Like the rest of the staff listing, though, and it's hard to say no to an anime with Ichiro Itano and Gundam Wing scribe Katsuyuki Sumisawa in the production… Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I can only imagine the lack of epic bitching around these parts is people haven't found out that the suits are making use of CGI this time around. Once that drops this fandom is never going to let that go for a solitary second regardless of anything else the project seeks to do. Totally looking forward to that being the sole discussed topic about Origin for the next year and a half. Rolling Eyes
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The character designs look pretty good. Animating the whole Origin manga would have been very nice, but I am happy that the producers decided to focus on Char's back story. I have no idea if the four parts will focus on Char, but I would not mind if they did.

I would love for these films/OVA's to be English dubbed like Unicorn, and if not, I hope the Japanese BD's have at least English subtitles.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to own these. Getting the final volume of Gundam UC next month :<<
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Better than nothing. I'm excited to see this tbh.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The staff hardly inspires confidence, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Four parts means a larger budget, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This part of Origin is a good read, but I'm not really excited about seeing it animated. Nothing in these chapters said "hell yeah this needs to be animated".

Origin as a whole though, thats a different story. To me, it's honestly the best Gundam anything. Just really good and classic storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
If someone had asked me who I thought the "dream staff" for an Origin animation would be, I wouldn't have known who to answer, but I probably would have said: a director from 0083 and a writer from Wing.

Why?

I honestly think 0073 has the best animation in the franchise. It really nailed the "hard sci-fi" look introduced with Zeta. And Wing did a fantastic job of covering a LOT of story material quickly, without sacrificing style.

So with Imanishi Takashi and Sumisawa Katsuyuki involved in the project, color me SUPER EXCITED.

Sam Murai wrote:
Arrrgggghhhhh… no Yas at the helm, but at least he will be a "general manager". Like the rest of the staff listing, though, and it's hard to say no to an anime with Ichiro Itano and Gundam Wing scribe Katsuyuki Sumisawa in the production… Very Happy

I agree completely. That Yasuhiko is involved in any way is a majorly good sign. The brief time I spent scanlating the manga convinced me that he was responsible for the best aspects of MSG.

Pokenatic wrote:

I'm torn on this, myself. All of The Origin is really, really good... but it does retread a lot of stuff from MSG that is, frankly, unnecessary. Yeah, it cut the whole "White Base Needs Salt" thing, but do we really need to animate the string of scenes where Amuro goes back to his hometown on Earth?

The real issue is a matter of length--until we know how LONG the runtime for each 'movie' is, we can't really judge whether or not it will be able to adequately do justice to Yasuhiko's masterwork.

4x 90 minute episodes would be too little time, I think. But 4x 120 minute episodes might be enough--or 180 minutes. (That would be approximate to 24 or 36 televised episodes, respectively--a 90 minute movie would be equivalent to 18, and a Unicorn-style 50 minute runtime 10 episodes, by the way).

Most of the Gundam compilation movies have been terrible, mostly because there was too much content to fit into too few movies--squeezing Turn A, for example, into 2 movies was doomed to fail from the start. The only compilation movies that really worked were the original Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies and the Zeta Gundam trilogy.

The Zeta Gundam movies were only 90 minutes long, each, so they compressed the story of a 50-episode series into the equivalent of 13.5 episodes--roughly 1/4 the size.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything Gundam related but this trailer looked pretty interesting, I guess I will watch it
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
The only compilation movies that really worked were the original Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies and the Zeta Gundam trilogy.

The Zeta Gundam movies were only 90 minutes long, each, so they compressed the story of a 50-episode series into the equivalent of 13.5 episodes--roughly 1/4 the size.

The Zeta Gundam movies butchered the story for that show. Just butchered it. 3 90 minute movies for a 50 episode, non-stop plot TV series is abominable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

4x 90 minute episodes would be too little time, I think. But 4x 120 minute episodes might be enough--or 180 minutes. (That would be approximate to 24 or 36 televised episodes, respectively--a 90 minute movie would be equivalent to 18, and a Unicorn-style 50 minute runtime 10 episodes, by the way).

I think it will be like the Unicorn single episodes in length.
That is to say 4 episodes of 45-50 minutes each. It's more than enough to tell a backstory. Gundam Origin is not being animated, a small part of it (I think 2 volumes out of the 12) is being animated so yeah it won't be a 4x3 hour episodes nor a 4x90 minutes episode. Just your standard oav length 45-50 minutes episode.

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Radrappy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
The only compilation movies that really worked were the original Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies and the Zeta Gundam trilogy.

The Zeta Gundam movies butchered the story for that show. Just butchered it. 3 90 minute movies for a 50 episode, non-stop plot TV series is abominable.

This, 100% this. Not sure why the zeta movies got praise, they were borderline unwatchable. Not sure how Japan is able to stomach these awful compilation movies given that they're a pretty regular thing.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been late and haven't even started Unicorn, but this looks like it has some nice potential. I'm assuming this is going to be a theatrical release of what really should be considered OVA's.
I also haven't started origin (because I am a bad Gundam fan), but perhaps this four-part thing will lead into an actual movie series based off of more origin other than just Char? I hope?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3