• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
My goodness, reading this interview, this is going to be the best old school anime release in the US ever!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
So the dubbing studio is in LA, huh. I wonder if they're going to go for a union cast. Man, I gotta wait until AX! Anime hyper
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
When you say "everything", does this include the next episode previews? They were left out of previous releases, which was a shame because they're hilarious.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Josh: And Tuxedo Mask! I think our fans are going to be very pleased with who has been chosen by us and our licensor.

Charlene: It was really cool being down there for the recording because it's impressive that the licensor cares so much. It's become a little rare to have licensors in the booth with you. When I was down there Tuesday, it was me, Josh, and the licensor team in the booth the whole time, observing, going through notes, doing retakes, and working with those key characters. You can tell that everyone involved in the production just loves it and cares about it so much. It's so cool seeing Josh and the director and the actors all working together to make those characters super-accurate. We're not going to be announcing the cast until Anime Expo, but it's a really interesting mix. I especially like our Moon and Tuxedo Mask so far.

I was already excited for the new dub, but now even more so after reading this.

Last edited by Asrialys on Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Even though we may never learn the whole story of the huge licensing nightmare this must have been, it's an interesting interview and certainly good news to any fans of Sailor Moon in and around the U.S.

Having said this...doesn't the 2009 Japanese DVD actually look more like this though?

http://i.imgur.com/qutP4AQ.png

At least that's what I'm hearing and seeing elsewhere.

Either way, this is mostly just a technicality. I'll still buy the Viz release down the road, sooner or later, depending on the chosen price points.

Last edited by nightjuan on Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I. am. hyped!

I'd assume including everything really does mean everything. It'll be so worth it!

@nightjuan: That looks closer to what I've seen of the remastered R2 releases, yeah.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
When you say "everything", does this include the next episode previews?

Hmm... I'm curious about that too. Sure hope so.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they're dubbing it already! I'm supporting 100%!
r_strata

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow. They got my money already with the announcement alone, but the details in this interview is just icing on the cake. So happy this deal finally got done.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Great, informative interview. I can get a good glimpse as to why Viz Media was chosen as the distributor, with their level of commitment and compatibility with Toei & Co.'s level of involvement. I like what I am hearing about their approach to the series and their care in who is dubbing it, who gets cast, and, particularly, that the Guardian VAs can sing(!) (because many a dub listener can attest to their fair share of unpleasant outings…).

Thanks to this interview, I am probably looking forward to getting into Sailor Moon and getting excited about the whole thing far more than I ever might or ever thought I would have…

All of that said, since Viz also has Sailor Moon Crystal and is currently conducting the dub of the original's first season, what are the chances of them also getting Crystal's dub out of the way at the same time, since they have the VAs available? I am hesitant to clamor for a (semi-)simuldub (however possible given the every-other-Saturday schedule), but it is rather interesting to contemplate given how everything is lining up and is potentially less time-constraining than a Kurokami or Space Dandy…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This whole news of Sailor Moon being re release seemed to have came out of know where for me. I leave ANN for a little while and come back to see that Viz had license both the original and remake of the Sailor Moon anime series, as well as an interview. Adding even further that they are going to release all the episodes (including Stars) uncut as well as with an all new cast for the U.S dub. This is an exiting time and I feel happy for it. ^ ^

From reading this interview it seems that everyone is putting their 100% effort into giving Sailor Moon the treatment it deserves. I wouldn't say Sailor Moon is one of the best anime that was ever made, but I think it's good enough to deserve the kind of release its getting.

Also this news came around the time I just finish reading Codename: Sailor V last night and planning to order the first three volumes of Sailor Moon. Seeing this news just made me want to get on with reading Sailor Moon even sooner.

P.S The fact Josh was preparing for the case the Sailor Guardians would have to sing because of how good, or nostalgic, the music was is kind of funny. It's like he's thinking this show is going to turn into a musical at some point. Sailor Moon: The Musical! I don't know if I would see such a thing (I might) if something like that happen, but why now. After all Minako a.k.a Sailor Venus (or Sailor V for short) sing her soul out in one chapter Codename: Sailor V.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Raneth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Is this real life? Am I dreaming?

This sounds unbelievably amazing.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Even though we may never learn the whole story of the huge licensing nightmare this must have been, it's an interesting interview and certainly good news to any fans of Sailor Moon in and around the U.S.

Having said this...doesn't the 2009 Japanese DVD actually look more like this though?

http://i.imgur.com/qutP4AQ.png

At least that's what I'm hearing and seeing elsewhere.

Either way, this is mostly just a technicality. I'll still buy the Viz release down the road, sooner or later, depending on the chosen price points.

It does. I actually own the first 2 volumes of the Japanese Sailor Stars R2 DVDs. I stopped buying them because I was disappointed by the oversaturation/redness of it. Japanese DVDs are quite expensive, so if you don't like it, it really isn't worth continuing on.

I'm so glad the Viz sets are looking better based on the one screenshot they've shown so far, and on that promotional video. I'll definitely be buying these. At the minimum, I'll replace those terrible ADV season 1 and 2 sets. But I'll replace my Pioneer/Geneon S, Super S, and movie sets if they're that good.
JaxHolmes

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I Really Hope this gets released over here in the UK because if it dose not i will be very very disappointed Crying or Very sad
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So the dubbing studio is in LA, huh. I wonder if they're going to go for a union cast. Man, I gotta wait until AX! Anime hyper

alongs its not the DIC cast, i am all for it. though does this mean that viz also licensed both the new and the tv series from the 90's?

it would definitely make my day if they were able to pull that off especially if they were able to finally get Toei to allow a US license of the Stars series.

also saying that the dubbing is in LA , i would have to suspect its either bang zoom or studiopolis.

if it was in one of the eastern cities like NY,etc, then it would clearly be NYAV or New Generation Pictures ,or if it was in Canada, it would be Oecan Studios or one of its sister studios.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10