• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Will Launch Kickstarter to Translate Tezuka's Captain Ken

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j Talbain

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Well Tezuka's The Creator was Backed and funded on Kickstarter June 21st 2013. It still has not been released to it's backers yet.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
Well Tezuka's The Creator was Backed and funded on Kickstarter June 21st 2013. It still has not been released to it's backers yet.

Um...That's a different publisher all together. Neutral DMI's fulfilled all their Kickstarters.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is news. More good stuff. Actually we purchased 'The Crater'. We're still waiting. They did have an update saying that they will get the books out soon. I was surprised that they had a fairly recent update.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news! I was a backer in the Unico/Atomcat/Triton Kickstarter, and DMI was phenomenal about everything--communication, finished product, extras, and using input from backers. Definitely looking forward to this! Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! I wasn't able to fund the first one (though I've bought all the books from it, all awesome), but I will be able to fund this one and hopefully they'll keep throwing in more volumes to print (like Kimba or something) if it does really well like before! I'll get them all! I was afraid that DMP would only do them digitally from here on out, really ending the era of printed Tezuka in English, but it seems that is not necessarily the case. Even if they have to use Kickstarter for a bunch of them, I am very pleased nonetheless!

And only slightly related, but hopefully we'll see The Crater before the end of next month Rolling Eyes Naturally, I also funded that Kickstarter (something about be throwing money at things with Tezuka's name on it)
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
YESS !!! i was already starting to think it was going to be a lousy year for Tezuka releases The Crater would come out soon but Vertical seems done with Tezuka ...

And it was waiting on what DMP was going to do which could take a while considering they want to get all Tezuka manga out there Digital but is it seems that's gonna require more time but to see that there continuing with there kickstarters is great.

If i'm not mistaken they also still wanna do pysical releases when they put his stuff out Digital but that would mean alot would only come out digital i much prefer to have the actual volumes.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Vertical can no longer publish any new Tezuka because DMP now has the rights to all the titles in the library.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Vertical can no longer publish any new Tezuka because DMP now has the rights to all the titles in the library.

I really doubt that's how it works. To take a similar example, Viki also has digital and "community-driven translating" rights for The Rose of Versailles and lots of other titles that can still be released on DVD by other companies. This is most likely a similar case, especially since I can't imagine Digital Manga's Guild thing attracting too many people.
ewsizemore

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
F-Man,

Actually DMP does have the exclusive rights to Tezuka now. Vertical can only publish what they licensed prior to the agreement. Plus, Vertical has already stated that Black Jack was the last Tezuka license they were interested in.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know when it'll be launched? I missed all the previous Tezuka Kickstarters - just completely passed me by - and I'd hate to miss this and the chance to pick up the reprints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1