• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Transistor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Transistor mostly lives up to the bar set by Bastion. I adored the atmosphere of Bastion, and pretty much everything else about that game. I'm looking forward to when I can finally play Transistor (have to wait for the Mac version).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Good review but is the darn game even out yet?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

You can go buy it on Steam right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Is this relevant to anime news network? I mean it is not a Japanese game right? Like why does this get a review and something like Watch dogs dont?

Good review though, just wondering what makes something suitable for ANN
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
#814635 wrote:
Is this relevant to anime news network? I mean it is not a Japanese game right? Like why does this get a review and something like Watch dogs don't?

The idea is "things we think anime fans might be interested in". This is an action RPG with a unique illustrative style, seemed like a high number of fans were interested even without a direct Japanese connection.

Better more content than less, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
#814635 wrote:
Is this relevant to anime news network? I mean it is not a Japanese game right? Like why does this get a review and something like Watch dogs don't?

The idea is "things we think anime fans might be interested in". This is an action RPG with a unique illustrative style, seemed like a high number of fans were interested even without a direct Japanese connection.

Thats great, as i said the review is great just wondering why it met the criteria. Now that i know I am expecting more awesome reviews like this! Making more work for yourself Zac Very Happy
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Eh, I gotta toss my hat in the "how is this remotely anime related or Japanese in any sort of way" stack.

I mean, the game looks neat, but there's a lot of stuff that looks neat that I like that isn't remotely anime related but I don't need to see it pandered to on ANN.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
A lot of famous Japanese games are turned based rpgs, this is a turn based rpg with interesting graphics and (hopefully) a good story, I can see the reasoning.

Downloaded and played it for a couple hours after seeing this, pretty fun so far, don't think I'm too far in yet though.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

You can go buy it on Steam right now.

Oh crap. I forgot this game was a digital download. I really wanted to pick this up for the collection but damn. But I'm glad to know that it got good reviews.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Dave Riley already sang the best part of the game, but it really is too easy on the first playthrough. Other issues included the fact that certain combinations stayed relevant throughout the whole game and replacing nodes with others was a bit of a hassle. At the very least, the PS4 controller enhancements were a nice touch.
daveriley

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Putting the Transistor's voice through the controller was a nice touch. The in-controller speaker continues to be my favorite console feature.

Lusbox wrote:
A lot of famous Japanese games are turned based rpgs, this is a turn based rpg with interesting graphics and (hopefully) a good story, I can see the reasoning.

I mention it briefly in my review, but the combat timing is straight out of Parasite Eve. The comparison is so direct I can't believe I didn't see other people making it. I know there's going to be some pushback against non-Japanese stuff on this site, but this game is most directly inspired by Action RPGs of the early and late 90s, most of which were Japanese. There's a definite link there, if not an explicit one.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh well when you compare it to the first Parasite Eve. now I'm interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
#814635 wrote:

Be honest, it's a highly anticipated game with a lot of hype that got a lot of good reviews, reviews I might add, that came out over a week before this one. You did it for page views, there's nothing wrong with that.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Zac wrote:
#814635 wrote:

Be honest, it's a highly anticipated game with a lot of hype that got a lot of good reviews, reviews I might add, that came out over a week before this one. You did it for page views, there's nothing wrong with that.

This is a highly anticipated game with a lot of hype? It's a small indie game with a limited audience. Also this logic would dictate that ANN reviews all big hyped games and they certainly don't.

Pretty much all of the game reviews here come out late. Thats not a sign of anything.

It's simple. This is a non "bro" game with a "pretty" visual style that may have cross over with the audience that reads ann. That's basically been the reason behind all the game reviews from ann, that the audience may be interested in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Pretty much all of the game reviews here come out late. Thats not a sign of anything.

It's a sign that we buy our games and generally don't get review copies, actually.

We do sometimes, and those reviews go up quicker - notably the Drakengard 3 review was up on release day, and that was based on a review copy - but 9 times out of 10 we have to buy or rent our games for review. So we publish them later, because we get them the same time you do.

The idea that this review was just published for page views makes me laugh. Blind cynicism isn't wisdom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1