• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Jojo's Mojo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpanthony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Great article- it was a lot of fun to read! That said, thought I'd point out one correction; the last image you have is actually of Joseph and Josuke, the hero from Part 4 of the comic. Always glad to hear about more people checking out Jojo!
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. I did notice one mistake though: the Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency anime came out in fall 2012 and not 2013.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Viz takes this opportunity to release more Jojo manga!
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I'm really digging the increasing appreciation towards Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I recently finished reading parts 1-6 of the manga in about 7 months with breaks, which felt depressing to read 16 years of his life's work in under year, so I'm taking a hopefully long break before part 7. The previous season and the currently airing one are at the top of my most wanted to be licensed list. I feel like someone will take a risk and try to license more of the manga. Parts 1/2 could be a lost cause since their adaptation has come and gone, but I could see parts 4-beyond being licensed to coincide with further adaptations.

The OAV is really frustrating, though. I loved the 90s set that covers the latter part of the story, but the later continuation of the beginning bored me. Of course the part I liked is super OOP. The universe was on my side and allowed me to get Volume 4 for $5 and Volume 5 for $35, but then Volume 6 turned into a "The One That Got Away" story for me. Back in early April someone put a copy of it on Amazon for $30, and then one of those marketplace sellers that automatically matches the lowest price put one up for $30 too. I pounced at the first copy put up because was in better condition. 24 hours later, my order is cancelled. I ask the seller what happened, and they said they had trouble connecting their bank account to their Amazon account, and it would probably be sorted out in a day or two. Cut to two weeks later where no such thing has happened; I got a coy response saying they were gonna do it soon, and that was the last I ever heard. Now you can't get it anywhere for under $60, which I have bought anime for before, but not usually only an hour's worth, so I'm pretty apprehensive. If only I had picked the other copy, I chose poorly Sad

I plan on picking up All Star Battle once it goes down a little from its initial release price. I can't just walk into Gamestop and snag a used copy, so it may take a little longer. The free demo on the PSN taught me I am pretty terrible at fighting games, but I still want to own it.

I've been cherrypicking volumes the Viz release whenever I have spare money lying around, beside that I'm looking to get a few Super Action Statue figures. One of the nice things about it being so popular in Japan for 25 years before hitting it big over here is that there's already a mountain of material and merchandise to absorb. And I promised myself if I ever cosplay, it will most certainly be as Speedwagon, that is definite.

I continue to watch other anime and obsess over them, but it's nice to have a constant like Jojo's in the background to always fill in the gaps.
konqueror

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Agh... I swear I'll finish Part 6 someday and read Steel Ball Run.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
you said the OVA's dub featured a bunch of unknown voice-actors whom were never heard from again,but that's not exactly right.Hol Horse was voiced by Roger Jackson,who is known for voicing Ghost Face in Scream movies,Mojo Jojo(I think we could make a joke here...) in Powerpuff Girls and the Cheshire Cat in American McGee's Alice games;Avdol was voiced by JS Gilbert who is mostly known for voicing Sweet Tooth in most of Twisted Metal games and Udyr in League of Legends;and Dio was voiced by singer Kid Beyond,the first voice-actor of Max from Sam and Max games and Biff Tannen in Back To the Future The Game.Hell,even Charles "Super Mario" Martinet is in the dub voicing some extras,so the dub is far from having a bunch of "nobodies" in it.

The dub was handled by the Bay Area talent pool,which mostly handles the voice-work of video games from Telltale.Saikano's dub was also handled by these people,which had Chise voiced by Melissa Hutchison,who would later be knwon for voicing Clementine in the Walking Dead game and Ashe in League of Legends.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Mike! Cool to see other cons doing Jojo posing "schools," as the panel I just attended at Animazement had an incredibly similar thing. Honestly, in all my years of reading manga, and thinking back on how badly Viz's release tanked, I had no idea Jojo would ever be a "big thing" here, but I'm sure glad it is.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that a couple of friends dragged me into watching the TV series, since it's been one crazy ride so far. (And with two awesome closing songs, to boot.) I'm only current with the broadcast of Stardust Crusaders, so I have no idea how things might evolve, but I have to say so far that I'm a much bigger fan of Joseph than I am of Jotaro. One of my friends dubbed him "Trollseph Trollstar" due to the masterful job he did of screwing with his opponents (and sometimes even friends) at every turn. Hell, even old man Joseph is terrific. At least up until this point, I don't think Jotaro has shown a massive amount of personality. The season is still young, though, and I'm sure all sorts of craziness awaits.

(Also that game manual image is glorious.)
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Great post, hopefully the series picks up enough steam for some licensor to take a shot at it. I'd love to see this dubbed well (I can live with name changes I guess)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wait, that Jojo manual image is legit?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Really hope Viz releases the rest of the manga at some point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I almost never read manga (for a number of reasons), but I still enjoy this column, and always learn a lot from it.

I think I watched the first 4 episodes of David's JoJo, but dropped it due to time constraints and testosterone poisoning. I started in again with Stardust Crusaders (mostly so I could finally get all the Stand jokes from that Gintama arc) and am having enough fun with it that, along with the nudge from this article, I will probably go back and fill in the first season.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting articles! Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
testosterone poisoning

I always find this phrase kind of hilarious when used in moments like these. Does that mean that there's an opposite equivalent called "estrogen poisoning"? I mean, I'm a guy so maybe it just doesn't click with me, but I just find it silly to complain that something has too much "manliness" in it. Then again, I'm not someone who would complain about something having too much "womanliness" ("girlyness" doesn't like a strong enough equivalent) in it, either.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Wait, that Jojo manual image is legit?

No, it's fake. The US release doesn't even get a manual at all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I don't see why a guy couldn't say that K-On! or Ichigo Mashimaro gave him estrogen poisoning (hey, me too!).

I dunno, maybe I should have said steroid poisoning, since there are so many muscles bulging from every scene it's probably giving off vapors. One could probably get contact roid rage just from handling the manga. Very Happy

To be serious, I wasn't offended by JoJo, it just wasn't the right time for me to truly appreciate the bizarre adventure then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3