• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Nine DVD Complete Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
typo

Quote:
Unfortunately the video presentation itself is not up to the standard expected from ny Nozomi release, even under the bargain bin label
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I find it kinda funny with these DVD's that the menu's don't even fit on my 4:3 TV screen, which is the only TV I have available atm. I guess they're expecting most people to own an HD TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
most people who buy videos do own an HDTV in america and japan
are televisions particularly expensive in holland? they are under 400$ here for a 40" HDTV. Buying a new TV is more important than collecting old anime videos on DVD format and will drastically improve your quality of life if you watch alot of TV.
anyway, you may have a scaling problem with your setup though
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a review of this highly underrated anime. I saw this anime when it was relatively new, and it's still one of the better girl-power anime out there, as the girls (with the possible exceptions of Yoko and Nene) are not treated as fanservice objects. The show skews a little melodramatic at times, but I've since realized that is simply the nature of most sports anime.

I am a baseball fan, and my one real complaint about the show is that players with no baseball experience are cavalierly plugged into some highly challenging defensive positions. Sure, Mao's physique makes catcher her best possible position, but there's a lot more to that position than simply being able to catch a pitch. Really, opposing baserunners would be stealing at will. Similarly, the level of play in high school baseball is just high enough that trying to hide Yoko in right field would not really be practical, as a strong throwing arm is needed there as well as the ability to deal with oddly-hit balls from left handed batters. But, that's just the baseball otaku in me talking...

Anyway, kudos to Rightstuf for keeping this title alive!

Last edited by victor viper on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
My two complaints about Princess Nine are two of the instances where it completely goes against its feminist ideals. The first is the game that Chairwoman Himuro sets up to prove that the girls' team can compete against boys. But it's a game against a junior high team. I'm fairly certain that Himuro even says flatly that the junior high boys will be a better physical match for the girls. Himuro really needed to press the issue harder and find a team of high school boys that would agree to play them. IMO beating a team of middle schoolers, even the best middle schoolers in the country, doesn't prove that you can win at Koshien, where you will play the best high school teams. A group with an average age of 14 versus a group with an average age of 17 is not even competition. You get so much stronger from 14 to 17.

The second is one of their tournament games where their coach basically tells them that they can't win unless then use trickery and their sex appeal, and the team agrees with the assessment and goes along with a plan to do just that. Seira specifically says she doesn't like the idea and doesn't want to do it, but goes through with it anyway. I feel like it would have been more progressive to have them win through their skill... HOWEVER! This was the most hilarious episode by a wide margin.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. It does sound like an equalist anime. Is it streaming anywhere, legally?

And that love triangle sounds pretty par for the course relative to others. 'Perfection' is an easy way to convince the audience that two friends would openly compete for a romantic relationship.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
most people who buy videos do own an HDTV in america and japan
are televisions particularly expensive in holland? they are under 400$ here for a 40" HDTV. Buying a new TV is more important than collecting old anime videos on DVD format and will drastically improve your quality of life if you watch alot of TV.
anyway, you may have a scaling problem with your setup though
TV's can get pretty damn expensive here, yes (might depend on the store though). My parents TV was 900€ and was just a little above 40", which is just ridiculous. Luckily I'll be getting an upgrade soon for much cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Hmm. It does sound like an equalist anime. Is it streaming anywhere, legally?

Yup, Nozomi has it streaming legally in English and Japanese on youtube.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I think I read a weird review of this show several years ago (when I was just getting into anime) that made it sound like a "cute girls" show or something and I just never looked at it again. This review makes it sound like exactly the kind of sports anime I like though, even with the unfortunate inclusion of that love triangle. Adding it to my list!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah the high school melodrama as the baseball world turns. Was getting this when ADV was releasing the singles. Coming near the heels of the 1992 film A League of Their Own.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to watch this, but it's definitely one of those "after I get through these other 400 TV series first" sort of deals. From the cover image, it looks like another one of those manic anything-goes postmodern 90s anime which easily get on your nerves after a few episodes, but the review makes it seem more toned down than that.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I own the original Princess Nine Complete Collection that ADV released in 2004, and for this new re-release, I was wondering if there are any new extras?
drifty1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
"The greatest flaw in the slaw is a tortured love triangle plot between the two lead girls and a perfect slab of plywood named Hiroki Takasugi."

Laughing How often I see this guy or his clones in romance anime.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I saw this series back when I had The Anime Network. Loved it to pieces! (It also helped that I jumped in kinda' late, so all I saw were badass matches. Anime hyper) I always felt really torn about the ending, and it (aside from the weirdly handled love triangle) are really the only two sticking points for me. The sex appeal plan did initially bother me, but it also made me laugh so hard I just had to roll with it. And I think they're forced to drop that plan about halfway through the game anyway. ^^;
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I own the original Princess Nine Complete Collection that ADV released in 2004, and for this new re-release, I was wondering if there are any new extras?

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/lpdvd1418 (New extras are in bold)

Special Features: Clean Opening & Closing, "Kaseki no Machi" Music Clip, "Passionate Days" Music Clip, Warsaw Philharmonic Video, "Music Selections" Music Video, "Dream Stadium" Music Video, Sound Staff Interviews Parts 1 & 2, Player Statistics, Oden Cooking Special, A History of Baseball in Japan, Voice Actress Profiles, Karaoke With Princess Nine, Original Japanese Cover Art Gallery, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Audio: English 2.0, Japanese 2.0, Japanese 5.1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3