• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Anime Solicitations Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
For those who haven't seen this, VIZ recently confirmed on Facebook that they are repackaging and rereleasing the Pokemon Johto Series' on DVD.

Source = https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia/posts/10152444874423552?comment_id=10152444948003552&offset=0&total_comments=4
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I totally forgot about those movies. I would love to see Viz release them. They've licensed a few live action movies before haven't they?

They have the Death Note movies, already. And ironically enough, the distributor for the Kenshin movies in Japan is Warner Bros., who also distributes for Viz in the U.S. So I would think it makes sense for them to eventually get the license.

At this point, though, they could just be waiting for all the movies to be made and over with, so they can pay a lump sum for the whole thing, as opposed to each individual film, which would probably cost more in the end.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Viz has also released live action "Train Man", "Kamikaze Girls", "Honey and Clover" and "Love.Com" and those are just the ones I know of.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see a complete blu ray set for Moribito, but does the show really need another complete DVD set (in addition to the two art box sets and the twin-pack sets)?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
@Sohma_Curse

About as much as it needs a new Blu-ray version. Both versions have been out of print since Media Blasters lost the license. It is a show that needs to be available and there are still a significant number who have not upgraded to Blu-ray.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Sohma_Curse

About as much as it needs a new Blu-ray version. Both versions have been out of print since Media Blasters lost the license. It is a show that needs to be available and there are still a significant number who have not upgraded to Blu-ray.

True, but the DVD version(s) are still widely available. Hell, TRSI has the stacked 8-disc complete collection for only $12.99 and the rarer of the two complete art box versions is just $15.99 (marked down from $130).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Sohma_Curse

What the show needs is more people who think it's a decent show and I'm not one of them. And as Sohma_Curse says, it's readily available on DVD, as well as BD if you look around.

Why reissue it? By the MSRP of the complete BD set, Viz got it for cheap. Hey, at least somebody knows what the show's really worth.

Yeah, that "needs to be available" comment kind of got to me as there are so many better shows that are really out of print and out of stock.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
@Sohma_Curse
Viz got the license so they put out both versions. The fact that there were unsold copies in the retail pipeline was probably not a concern. I've noticed that Funimation routinely puts out new editions before the prior one sold out.

In any case, the Viz version is likely to be less bulky and awkward than the old Media Blasters version. Those super jewel cases are very fragile and the stuff still on warehouse shelves has a high probability of being broken. You can probably tell, I didn't care for them.

@Animegomaniac
Morebito is an excellent show, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. It does need to remain in print. You are not required to like it but you should accept that others do. Fortunately the industry is not controlled by either your or my preferences.

I agree that there are a lot of shows that are either out of print or were never in print here that should be issued/reissued. However, I doubt any group of anime fans could agree on what they are. Tastes differ.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I already own the BDs of Moribito, but if they did something different or special with the LE I might be bothered to sell my old copies and pick the newer one up.

Animegomaniac has a special relationship with Moribito. I've seen him rage against the series before and I suspect it was being played in the background while someone was waterboarding him at some point.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
@One-Eye
I'm in the same situation you are. I'm waiting to find if Viz did anything special that would warrant a re-buy.

I also have the first two volumes of the novels. It reminds me of something Andre Norton would have written back in the 60s, which is a recommendation.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
there are still a significant number who have not upgraded to Blu-ray.

Everything I read suggested the Blu-ray was not really all that much of an improvement over the DVDs. I believe the show was shot in widescreen 480p or perhaps 540p so a release at 720p or 1080p would be an upscale. I'll stick to my DVDs, once I get them back from my neighbor!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
@Yuna49
In my case it didn't matter, I found the show to be gorgeous in either version.

I tend to buy Blu-ray if it is available unless I've seen valid complaints that it is worse than the DVD version. In the case of Moribito I was very glad to be able to replace those dorkey, fragile super jewel cases with two small Blu-ray cases. They take up much less shelf space which is in short supply.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I also have the first two volumes of the novels. It reminds me of something Andre Norton would have written back in the 60s, which is a recommendation.
Wow that's a name I haven't seen in a few decades. I think I read some of her Witch World series (?) and other stuff with Gryphons(?) when I was a kid.

yuna49 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
there are still a significant number who have not upgraded to Blu-ray.

Everything I read suggested the Blu-ray was not really all that much of an improvement over the DVDs. I believe the show was shot in widescreen 480p or perhaps 540p so a release at 720p or 1080p would be an upscale. I'll stick to my DVDs, once I get them back from my neighbor!

I don't know, maybe the BDs weren't spectacular but the DVDs (I own the stack pack too) were darker in comparison to my eyes. There were also a few closeup shots that I recall with light reflecting off people's eyes that had a really nice almost liquid quality. Was the whole show like that? No and I'm pretty sure it was 1080i, so yea it was an upscale. Even in DVD I recall feeling there were a few parts that looked rough, so some of it maybe goes back to the source. However, we did get DTS-HD 5.1 in English and Japanese which is nice. It was enough of an upgrade that I didn't feel bad double-dipping, unlike say Black Lagoon which I feel ripped off on as far as the BDs go.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
@One-Eye
Yes, the Witch World series was hers. I'm not sure about Gryphons though. At one point I tried to collect everything she had written. Science fiction and fantasy was one of my earlier obsessions.

Andre Norton had the ability to imagine and sketch out in a few words the whole of a fantasy world, not just the part the story took place in. I finished several of her books wondering about what was happening off screen so to speak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 29