• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Nearing Its End: Thoughts?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
With Naruto seeming to be barreling towards its climax (and the author having stated repeatedly the series is nearing its conclusion) I was wondering what people's thoughts on it were. I've been following the series for 10 years and for the last couple, as much I enjoyed the series, I just want to see what else Kishimoto is capable of and see the series itself reach a good conclusion. There are some people who seem to be dreading it ending be it either because they wonder what will become of Weekly Shonen Jump after one of its tentpole titles has ended or they have grown up with and are emotionally attached to the series and its characters. There also seem to be some who despise the series for reasons I'm not terribly clear on. And then there seem to be those in a similar situation to me who enjoyed the series but believe it needs to reach a conclusion. (Apologies if I'm missing any segments of those reading Naruto)
Dacg08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
These final chapters have lacked all the emotion of the earlier ones. But my main problem is that there just are too many things that make no sense at all. From Sasuke's change of heart and return to Konoha to Madara's really dumb plan and lack of motives to really do anything he does, and no to mention Obito's character is so unnecesary, and, in my opinion just so dull. It could have ended on a so much better note than this, but this last few chapters have showed some improvement. So we'll see... Confused
Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I honestly enjoyed the series up until the probably the war. The story started going all over the place. It just seems like kishi didn't really think it through, he's ran out of ideas or maybe his hearts not in it. Naruto should have probably ended around the Pain fight IMO. The plot just became too forced and unimaginative.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Smoke wrote:
I honestly enjoyed the series up until the probably the war. The story started going all over the place. It just seems like kishi didn't really think it through, he's ran out of ideas or maybe his hearts not in it. Naruto should have probably ended around the Pain fight IMO. The plot just became too forced and unimaginative.

I'd say the war has been dragging on for quite a while now, and the whole edo tensei and almost no relevant casualties (aside from Neji and possibly Guy after he is exhausted from the eight gates or is actually killed while using the technique, there was only cannon fodder killed off screen, or guys who were already dead dying a second time thanks to edo tensei) have taken much tension from the fights, plus the constant flashbacks and idealistic talk no jutsu have diminished the series to its lowest point. I can still see some good ideas mixed in, and I'd even say its overall quality is still above average, but the story is indeed all over the place, and I can feel as a reader that Kishimoto's heart is not as invested in it as it was in the end of part 1 or in Sasuke and Itachi's confrontation, for instance.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
I used to be decently into Naruto (my brother was the big fan), but now--I don't know, I can't look at any part of the story with anything other than sheer apathy. What I've read about later volumes doesn't change that.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the series though sometimes it is a struggle; I feel one reason I am still reading is down to the fact I have invested too much time and money into the series to give up now. Anyways to the point at hand - I feel the series needs to come to a natural end soon. Parts of the war feel like they are being dragged out just to milk the cow before it dries up. I feel the series needs a definitive end i.e. Naruto killing Sasuke but use this to play on Naruto's emotions or them both killing each other spoiler[which has been hinted at]. Ether way the series should end not long after the war is over or as it is wrapping up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
yes, Naruto is ending. All the secrets are out, even the origin of everything. People were right about Byakugan and Sharingan like 8 years ago, kind of. spoiler[They came from the same origin/source.]

There is nothing leave, but the final ending. On the Shonue Jump' The mangaka comment, he thanks everybody support and said Naruto's is going to end soon.
SodaPop65

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
And the world is a better place for it

(Yes, we all loved Naruto in the beginning, it was great. I even liked some of the Shippuden stuff. But everything from the war on has been 100% steaming pile of crap.)

I wouldn't doubt if Bleach ended "soon", after the current arc.

Long live One Piece, king of the shonen triangle. (And the only one with long-lasting quality anyways)

I'll probably be reading about Luffy's 10 billion bounty on my deathbed xD
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
It's time to wrap up the war. I don't care who transforms into what ugly thing next. It's like the RPG boss battle that Just...Won't...End...at this point.

I've followed Naruto in anime rather than manga form, which was probably not the best option. While the first series does pretty well up until its real climax (Naruto vs. Sasuke), Shippuden is just maddening -- a series that more than anything else, is about trying not to catch up to the source material. Somebody needs to Kai the living daylights out of this thing when it's done.

It's had its moments, though, and unlike many, I don't dislike the Obito-Madara history in and of itself. It's actually pretty impressive to look back and see how early some of the seeds of this stuff were planted.

Probably the best filler of the whole anime series has just ended. Faint praise, indeed, but I actually liked it: they took a couple of months away from the war to go back and retell Kakashi's whole story chronologically, revisiting all of the major historical events along the way.

A side point from that arc: I don't know if this was anywhere in the manga or not, but I was terribly amused when Hiruzen stepped down as Hokage, and Danzo spoiler[unsuccessfully backed Orochimaru for Hokage #4.] Poor guy was never right about anything, was he?

Anyway, at this point I'm far more interested in the epilogue than the rest of this fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1