• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fatally charming anime ladies?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadarJay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
So... the recent "why aren't there more cool anime girls" thread definitely made me realize that anime tends to leave the fairer sex neglected when it comes to slicker then ice villainesses who are not only just to cool for school, but are also fatally charming and charismatic, and are as sexy as they are witty and wicked. American cartoons have that kinda stuff in abundance, but I can only really cite a handful of this particular kind of character in anime. The only ones that really come to mind at the moment are Ragyo and Medusa.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...you've got a lot of requirements there: villainess, charming, charismatic, sexy, witty, wicked.

Off the top of my head:
Maybe Koko Hekmatyar from Jormungand. She would be an anti-hero to some, perhaps a villainess to others. Highly intelligent chessmaster type, with loyal band of bodyguards, turns some adversaries into loyal comrades, can be witty and cool at times.

Maybe Alphard Alshua from Canaan. She is highly intelligent, sharp tongued with both her subordinates and her opponents often in a deadpan manner, appears to be cool, sexy, is the leader of a terrorist organization, inspires both lust and obedience from others.
RadarJay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ehhe... You're right. Maybe I'm being to specific. Just meeting, like, 4/6 "requirements" should suffice, with the exception being that they are, of course, lady villains.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
I think many women from Black Lagoon would fit the bill.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
There's also this dedicated thread discussing Strong Female (Co-)Leads. Might wanna' give that a look.
dlm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Does Faye Valentine count as a villain? Granted, the Bebop crew generally tolerated her, but the main thing that she seemed to bring to the party was wasting their money and food, then getting into trouble and needing a bail-out.
RadarJay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Hmm... While Faye's certainly a femme fatale in her own right, I think she is still a bit to childish/impetuous to make the list, even if she was a traditional "bad guy"
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
Sexy? Sure. Charming? She can be. Greedy? Hell yea. Villain? I can see Faye Valentine operating sometimes in grey areas, but a full blown villainess? I don't know, Its been awhile since I've seen Bebop and maybe I'm forgetting stuff but I'd probably say no.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
A few other examples I can think of for femme fatale characters I think would fit a majority of those characteristics would be...

Madame du Barry and Jeanne Valois de la Motte of The Rose of Versailles-The two are based on actual historical figures prior to the French Revolution and portrayed as wicked women who get under the skin of Marie Antoinette. du Barry used her sex appeal to gain favor from Louis XV and once she got into the position in the court of Versailles, she uses her wit and charisma in gaining clout from other nobles. Things change when Marie Antoinette comes into the picture...with Jeanne, she is the woman behind the infamous "Affair of the Necklace" scandal that tarnishes the reputation of Marie Antoinette greatly. Jeanne also uses her sex appeal to take advantage of Cardinal Prince Louis de Rohan. spoiler[She uses her wicked charisma in her trial to turn things in her favor in the hearts of the general populace who loathe the nobility.]

Fukiko "Lady Miya" Ichinomiya of Oniisama e...-Although she isn't the sexy type, she makes up for in being classy with her lady-like persona. She is portrayed as the charismatic president of the prestigious and elite Sorority club in the all-girls school that she attends that so many girls hope to be chosen to join, but a few are granted entry. However, there is an underlying wickedness in her character in her treatment towards the heroine, Nanako Misono and the withdrawn Rei "Lady St. Juste" Asaka...her relationship with the latter is shown to be a rather intricate one.

Haman Karn of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam/ZZ Gundam-She's the seductive and icy beauty of Neo-Zeon whose charisma caught the eye of Mashmyre Cello who is among her most loyal underlings. Haman has quite the wicked appeal too, especially in her interactions with Judau Ashta and Char Aznable. She also has a commanding presence as a leader and shines brilliantly as a top tier mobile suit pilot that those who are among her faction give her their utmost respect.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd put the one and only Haruko Haruhara from FLCL on the list, though for spoiler-y reasons regarding the last episode. Let's just say she's a psychopathic womanchild, and move on...

SPOILERS! (and discussion of Haruko's role in the plot)

spoiler[Haruko Haruhara is like Peter Pan in a way; she is THE Girl who Never Grew Up of Anime. Thematically, she represents immaturity. She only shows up in Naota's life as soon as he hits puberty. She follows him everywhile, always reminding him of her presence and that fact that he actually wants to stay a little boy forever. Naota spends most of the anime denying that he is anything but mature, symbolized by his claiming that he hates Haruko. Amarao, who represents what would happen if Naota didn't mature, still lusts after Haruko, representing his desire to reclaim his childhood. Medical Mechanica, meanwhile, teams up with Haruko to flatten all human thought, symbolizing the desire to make everybody into immature manchildren. At the end, when Naota finally reaches maturity and realizes that he doesn't want to grow up, that's when Haruko leaves. Naota doesn't really need her anymore, as he's finally moved on and become a man...]

Course, that's all speculation and my own personal interpretations. Also, I ramble a touch.

I wouldn't really consider Faye Valentine to be a villain so much as selfish and catty. I mean, I like Faye. She's very fascinating and has a touch of playfulness and charm. Still, she can be kind of a b***hy freeloader at times. And besides, Edward's my favorite Bebop crew member. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Mine Fujiko. While I have never watched the original Lupin series, the 2012 revisioning by Yamamoto Sayo and Okada Mari certainly casts Fujiko as a femme fatale.
Observe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
That girl off witchblade had so much ass it was ridiculous. Almost in the hentai realm which I don't watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1