• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Say Yes to A Dress

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge Eureka Seven fan, and I've seen the original series 4 times. However, I agree with the review. It's not great, but its not bad either. It has both its good and bad attributes, but it does get better the more you view it.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The almost possessive nature of Yuuki in One Week Friends didn't bother me too much, until some of the things he said in episode 10. spoiler[His reaction to Kaori's step backwards in her condition rubbed me the wrong way. I understand getting depressed, but then he essentially goes on to say "But, all my hard work...". All YOUR hard work? What about Kaori's hard work since she's the one actually dealing with the memory problems.]
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I was certainly not prepared for the Eureka Seven movie and the jarring realization that the characters are not actually themselves took quite a while to get used to. Having said that, I still thought it was good and worth having in my collection.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Eureka Seven movie in concept, because I'd rather creators try things like this rather than recap or filler movies. It felt less like a naked cash grab as a result.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's it for this week. Next week, I'll talk your ear off about sports anime, so brace yourselves.

If that means more Yowamushi Pedal, you go right ahead.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I was sorry to see Samurai Bride not trounced so here we go:

I was fine with the dark samurai, I loved the maid café subplot and I was even fine with the return of "I'm not your enemy but really I am! Tomorrow, just you wait!" Gisen who had absolutely no point to her frenemy ways since her boss still won't resurrect any time soon. Not to forget D'artanian, even if the show did...

None of this actually added up to anything, not even the "samurai bride drama" that anyone could see the series didn't have the guts to finish {and not even like the "changed my mind" redo ending of the first season, they simply did not do what they said would happen} but even that wasn't a problem. No, the problem here is monkey.

I know this is an anime original, I know they based characters off of designs and then based a story off of that somehow but a monkey who can turn into a girl {for three minutes, once a day? or is it as RR would say "Only when it's funny"?} who was the previously unmentioned childhood pet of the girl who already had the childhood friend as a pet who only showed up now because... who transformed into a samurai master because... who has fan service scenes because...

Monkeys are funny, fine. They are not sexy, I think.

Quote:
(Incidentally, the maid uniforms are actually more conservative than their everyday outfits, especially monkey girl Sasuke, who literally just has some fur tendrils on her boobs, and a penchant for always having the tip of her tail strategically placed over her hoohah.)

And apparently just me thinks that way.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
The almost possessive nature of Yuuki in One Week Friends didn't bother me too much, until some of the things he said in episode 10. spoiler[His reaction to Kaori's step backwards in her condition rubbed me the wrong way. I understand getting depressed, but then he essentially goes on to say "But, all my hard work...". All YOUR hard work? What about Kaori's hard work since she's the one actually dealing with the memory problems.]

I am still not that bothered by the neo-possessiveness displayed by Yuuki. I see it more as a sign of his lack of maturity and an incredible self-esteem deficiency than anything that has the potential to be malicious.

The first place where it really shows up is spoiler[in the section when Yuuki brings his best friend Shougo in on the secret about Kaori's condition. He asks him for help because he admires him and considers him one of the smartest people he knows. At the same time, he also has a massive inferiority complex about him, since, by almost all traditional measures of a teenage boy, Shougo beats Yuuki by a fair margin. He is better looking, "cooler", smarter, and more athletic. The only place where Yuuki has him beat is in the "Nice Guy" factor. And we all know where "Nice Guys" finish, according to popular wisdom, right? When Kaori is able to remember Shougo the next Monday, but still doesn't remember Yuuki, the immediate thought that Yuuki has is that Kaori is attracted to Shougo and remembers him because of that. Since Yuuki is obviously interested in being more than friends with Kaori, regardless of what he may say, this is a hard blow. "I just introduced the girl I like to a guy who is cooler and smarter than me and she fell for him. How big of an idiot am I?" Of course, he is wrong about that. It is more that Kaori is intimidated by Shougo and he doesn't quite reach the level of "friend", so he falls into the same category as people like teachers and such who she has no trouble remembering.]

In addition, the possessive behavior is not limited to Yuuki, nor is it gender biased. spoiler[There is a section later on where Yuuki is helping a couple of the other girls in the class, who have become friends of Kaori by this point, and she feels the tell-tale tightness in her chest of jealousy, though is too inexperienced in love to recognize it for what it is. When Shougo asks her about her feelings for Yuuki, she tells him about this and he almost tells her that she is in love with him, but decides either that it is best for her to figure that out for herself or just doesn't want to open up that particular can of worms due to his laid back, "don't want to deal with it" nature.]

I assume the Duck Soup moment occurred in episode 9, and not the part that was actually "Mid-season", which is the one with Shougo. I personally didn't consider it to be that outrageous. spoiler[It is clear that Kojo is the guy she was going to see when she had her accident, even from the first time he is introduced. In episode 10 what happened is pretty strongly suggested: jealous "friends" accosted her for "getting in front of them" for the guy they all liked, she was hurt badly by it, carelessly ran into the street, and failed to meet him as promised, though he didn't realize why because he moved away.]

As for the spoiler["all my hard work" comment. Sure, it would have been better if he had said "all OUR hard work", but was it really hard work for her? Sure, she kept the diary, but it was Yuuki who had to work up the courage to approach someone who treated him like a stranger every week for the majority of the first term. It became easier as she began to approach him to ask if he was Hase-kun on Monday mornings, but it was still him putting in the effort early on, overcoming her resistance to making friends in the first place. And now, as it stands, as of the end of episode 9, she didn't even recognize that she had lost something. She is back to the way they were at the beginning of the story, where she has to be asked by Yuuki each week to be his friend again. She doesn't remember that she considered Yuuki a "special friend" just a week ago. She doesn't remember how important the number 18 was, since it was the first thing she remembered from week to week that was related to Yuuki. She reads the diary and does the things she expects to do, but she is going through the motions compared to the way they were before Kujo showed up, when Kaori had some inexplicable compulsion to use the word "like" in conversation more and more. We all know what that was symbolic of, right? So who feels the loss of all that hard work? Is it Kaori, who has no memory of it, or Yuuki, who looks at the girl he was falling in love with and sees a stranger looking back at him. Perhaps he has a better understanding of how she feels each Monday now? Frankly, the other people who are suffering most are Saki and Shougo. Both of them had put in a good deal of hard work for their friends, too, and in Saki's case, she really doesn't seem to understand what happened. (I wish Shougo would have explained things to her better, but maybe Saki does understand it more than the comic relief moments with her indicate...]
capt_cardor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm beginning to worry, because I have been consistent;y agreeing with your reviews the last few months. I thought One Week Friends was really worth a shot when the new season began, but Yuuki's jealousy really bothered me. I just didn't feel comfortable with the direction the anime was taking so I stopped.

Thanks for the quality of your reviews.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
That's it for this week. Next week, I'll talk your ear off about sports anime, so brace yourselves.

Hopefully Bamboo's definition of "sports" will also cover board games so she'll include Hikaru no Go and Shion no Ou in her musings. Cross Game is, of course, a given.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps that or Haikyuu!!?

Isshuukan Friends. is actually one of my favorites this season. I've yet to see the latest episode, but I doubt anything that happens in it will change my opinion. Fujimiya san and Hase kun are just so adorable! One of the things I like about this series is that it doesn't rely on a veteran or popular cast. Hosoya is probably the only cast member I'm really familiar with in the series. Other than him, pretty much everyone else is a nobody at this point in time. *thumbs up*
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully she's also referring to Ping Pong.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Eureka Seven movie, because of everything I've read and what Bamboo mentioned, I'm waiting a while until I watch it to let the memories of the original and its sequel fade first.

Regarding the shelf life video, I feel some kinship with Credibility6, as his collection is a lot like mine, minus DBZ, lol. Most other folks are very selective, but I like your across-the-board taste, from OniAi to Psycho-Pass, from KimiKiss to Kamisama Kiss. However it will hasten the drain from your wallet and shelf space! I ended up storing my ever growing collection in boxes which then sit on the shelves instead
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm a tad behind I'm a little afraid to talk about One Week Friends but having read the article I did want to add my two cents on the show. I'll agree that something about this show feels a tad off but I don't think it's just Yuuki's possessiveness. As much as a flaw as it can be I think it's more one for him to grow out of as apposed to it being a true negative, though it can be a bit unsettling to watch at times. At the very least he tries to better himself which is more than what I can say for other characters who share this "overly possessive" trait that I otherwise detest. If there was a character in here that I may have even had a fratcure of disliking it would probably have been Saki, who kind of just gives me the impression that she's just there for the yuri crowd. Even then I don't dislike her because she's at least fulfiling a role within the story, which in of itself just maybe the biggest issue with me fully enjoying it. It really feels a bit too implausible for me to really buy into it fully.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the premise of "One Week Friends", I immediately thought, "So they basically took the plot of '50 First Dates' and adapted it into a High School Romantic Comedy-Drama Manga/Anime". Laughing
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that I'm not the only one bothered by Yuuki's possessiveness of Kaori.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3