• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress [Premium Edition] Sub.Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember having first seen this movie on (I believe) Hulu, and all I could remember were the first bits being so dumb I didn't care that I dozed off through the rest of it. Go ahead and correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I kind of recall Hamaji keep getting frequently mistaken for a boy--how does she even remotely resemble a boy at any kind of a glance, especially in that getup I'm not all too sure girls even really did wear at the time? (if by chance that kind of clothing for girls did exist, you know more than I, but it came across as just fan-service to me). How was she able to go into the men's bath at all without getting physically found out? And when that stereotypically-portrayed clothing-store gay guy showed up, that was strike three and I was out. Did this movie really get better later?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly in agreement with the review. Fuse is a nice little movie that does look quite pretty and tells an ordinary story with a couple of surprises but doesn't really shake things up.

The literary references are perhaps the most unfamiliar part for non-Japanese viewers, which can be considered either a positive or a negative, but I decided to take them in stride.

While it's nothing we haven't seen before, overall, I think there were some amusing bits of dialogue between Shino and Hamaji as well as a few other short character moments for the supporting cast. Nothing truly special, but I might re-watch it some day if the mood is right.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hamaji was specifically dressed up as a man at one point so that she could enter and leave Yoshiwara. (Historically, women were not allowed to leave it - for fear that one of the prostitutes might try to escape - and could be severely beaten or even killed if they tried.) That might be the scenes you're thinking of, pachy_boy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hamaji was specifically dressed up as a man at one point so that she could enter and leave Yoshiwara. (Historically, women were not allowed to leave it - for fear that one of the prostitutes might try to escape - and could be severely beaten or even killed if they tried.) That might be the scenes you're thinking of, pachy_boy.

I thought I remembered her being mistaken for a boy even before she was officially disguised as a man, hence my confusion. And it still doesn't explain how she was able to be in the men's bath without getting found out--unless she wrapped a towel around her whole body and none of the men somehow found that odd. I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but still...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
A beautiful but messy movie, it was too unsure of itself and what exactly it wanted to achieve. The lead relationship was weak and it wasn't the most tightly written of movies. However it did have some good ideas and action sequences.

It was enjoyable but forgettable, so I'd give it a B-. One thing I did notice was how its tone reminded me of a Ghibli movie; either it deliberately aped the style or was just heavily influenced by Miyazaki.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd agree with the "aped Ghibli style" comment. It was an impression I definitely had myself and had intended to comment on but simply forgot to put in the review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
For the record, the director, Masayuki Miyaji, has in fact worked with Hayao Miyazaki and his studio in the past. He was part of Spirited Away and also of My Neighbors the Yamadas. It's not a coincidence that he's definitely familiar with the Studio Ghibli approach.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I really want to see this movie, but I'll use Hulu instead of buying it.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
Just dug up this photo I took on a Keisei line train to Narita airport in late September 2012:

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/71080.img

It shows some of the real locations used for the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1